Sign in to follow this  
Eroneouse

Lightwave

I had a search and the last post on this was 2008 so is lightwave still useable for model making for modding in Arma2. The aforementioned post said to save to 3DS format with .TGA files for textures to make it compatable. Is this still the case ?

Thanks in advance and Hi from my first post. :yay:

Edit - Just reading the above sticky now :D my answers are probably in there.

Edited by Eroneouse

As long as you can export to obj or 3ds your fine...as far as .tga textures .tga or .png will work with texview.

Thanks for the reply. I read quite a bit of the above sticky, didnt find the answers you provided but did find some to as yet unasked questions.

.OBJ and .3DS meshes are no probs and my art package GIMP should suffice for texture creation/manipulation. Thanks again I look forward to building some millitary stuff.

Another question I have which so far I have not found any answer to is this... Some of the models have animated parts IE propellors, turrets, guns, tracks, wheels etc.

So if I was to model say a tank, would I make it as a single object ?

Or would the moving parts be seperate objects parented to the tanks chassis ?

Or as can be done with lightwaves modeller would I create the chassis on one layer and all the animated parts on a seperate layer ?

I have only built space fighters and they didnt have any animated parts so they were all single object models and I would hate to spend time building tanks and planes only to find when submitted they are wrong and need reworking.

Your best bet is to take a gander at the unbinarized models released by bis, You should find them in the arma 1 editing section on armaholic.

I would take a look at this link here, They helped me.

Edited by coldfuse
added a space

Thank you again Coldfuse its very helpful of you to take time out for me, much appreciated for the link n advice.

:icon_razz:

Edit - If I understand the install instructions concerning the viewer then I need to go buy Operation Flashpoint first yes ?

Not in itself a problem I may even have it around somewhere I am sure I was playing it some years back I remember it had a visual system of showing where noise came from to alert you to enemys but I gave a lot of my old games away some time back so a rebuy will be in order I expect.

Also the link to the viewer and O2 displays this for me... " Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /breathe/ on this server. " and a 403 error number. Is there an alternative site to DL the viewer and O2 from ?

Looking at Armaholic atm will probably be there a while :)

Edited by Eroneouse

No, not unless you plan to edit and play ofp.

You will be fine with just arma1 or arma 2 depending on which variant you want to edit.

Here's the arma 2 tool-set

And here is the arma 1 tool-set.

Cheers muchly for that link Planck. Good DL and interesting thread :)