Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality Development

This really does highlight how immature some people can get. Its just a F**king game!!

No where does it say that PR are going to turn the realism mods and coop groups into a minority, stop feeling so threatened by it, seriously!

Wouldn't it be a great reflection on the BIS community if PR decided, or any other mod team outside this community that wanted to produce content for this engine was subject to scrutiny by "arma2 experts" , and shunted off the rails even before the content was released?

People need to realize that (and as stated by UK_Force) they are not just making shiny new addons, but game-play changes as well. Chances are they are not mission specific but more hard-coded like ACE? You don't see anyone asking why ACE content are not mission only modifications.

Believe it or not, other people are capable of producing ACE quality content and scripting i'm sure housed inside a mod package.

What happens if another mod team decided to port or work on a new engine (unreal, cryengine ect), would they get the same reception as PR have? People are genuinely talking as if they are the speaker of the community and own some sort of rights because they make addons or are ex military.

Look at the bigger picture, its a mod for a game. End

those UK troops they want, are in the free VBS2 demo, it was actually given out for free in england, could probably download it online somewhere id imagine, i don't know, but all the same, there's your British troops done by a team that far surpasses your talent. unless you want to make your own homemade, i mean studio.

just for the clueless, by default vanilla arma 2 walks circles around bf2PR

Both myself and UK_Force run the JCOVE Lite website. Easy to find, and get the download links if you google it :) The majority of staff there are users of the UK's military UK VBS2 project (Op JCOVE). We are fully aware of the ins and outs of it :)

The UK assets in VBS2 and JCOVE Lite were predominately created by P:UKF. Having spoken to Messiahuk over the past few days, we are aware of P:UKF's work (personally it's what got me interested in the mod scene, not just in OFP. I was aware of, and interested in P:UKF's work before I knew Project Reality actually existed). The files within JCOVE Lite are encrypted, and therefore they cannot be 'moved' across to the ARMA2 setting. Only models that are released on their own timeframe and are free from any NDA/EULA agreements with BIA will be released, as and when.

P:UKF had decided to stop their releases due to how some in the community treated their work, but I believe that's been re-assessed. They are an excellent modding team. They have also been on the receiving end of some of the community, which made them halt releases.

I don't quite know who your post is directed at, Vick. Is it the PR Team, or another poster? I explained above, for those who are "clueless" about what a game's EULA and a mod team's NDA/contract is ;) If it's directed at the PR Team Vick, then wow.

if anybody has that elitist mindest its the PR team, ignoring the entire modding/scripting community, and their time invested in the game. its pretty much a form of plagiarism- as someone said earlier- why reinvent the wheel?

appreciate the sarcasm though

A form of plagiarism? In what way? Can you back that up? Pretty heavy accusation within a modding community there. It's sad to see some of the comments on this forum. Sort of sucks the drive out of people. I know some don't bother reading this thread any more because of this rubbish. Especially those who think that we've had no experience within OFP/ARMA/ARMA2/VBS2 and are going to jump in and turn ArmA2 into BF2....

For the record, some of the implimentations within PR:BF2 were done in such a way that the BF2 engine would allow it. The BF2 engine is pretty locked down in terms of hard coding, so various implimentations are done with a certain artistic license so that the features are present, but are not displayed as they would be in real life. This is solely down to engine limitations. From our experience, we have placed certain limitations on things to ensure BF2esque behaviour is removed as much as possible.

For example; some people have discussed us bringing the 'cone of fire' to ARMA2. Why would we do that? That was a workaround to simulate stresses on the firer from physical activity and of course real life settling into a firing position prior to firing. ARMA2 already has these features by default, so I'm pretty sure the guys would not be introducing that.

I'm glad to see at least some of the posters here are looking forward to what the lads are working on. As UK_Force has stated, the guys will release PR:ARMA2 how they see fit, as a team. I'm guessing it won't be open for the communtiy to rip it to bits like what made P:UKF walk away from the communtiy, at least for a while.

Edited by Gaz_pr

This community is famous for smirking at any other FPS as silly games for immature teenagers... but check us out :confused:

Well .. people here are not new to this game.. It's just I never saw this shit on ADDONS & MODs threads before, just how immature and disrespectful people can be out there.

Edited by dunedain

Honestly guys, weather you like what were doing or not, it comes down to the fact that we are trying to bring a very sucessful mod to ArmA II. If you dont like PR or what we are trying to do, then you don't download it when it is released. Its pretty simple. It dosent need 6 pages of discussion on weather ACE or PR or BF2 or ArmAII is better.

If you don't like the sound of it, don't download it. No one is forcing you to have it :)

Schancky

if anybody has that elitist mindest its the PR team, ignoring the entire modding/scripting community, and their time invested in the game. its pretty much a form of plagiarism- as someone said earlier- why reinvent the wheel?

appreciate the sarcasm though

LOL you must be kidding. Check the names, they ARE from ArmA2 community, and the way I read it, pretty big assets. Mandoble only has probably done for OFP/ArmA community orders of magnitude more than you do here. And it's only 1 name in the list. You MUST be kidding.

And you're talking about sarcasm?

@Jax_2009 : simple fact, even after ACE2 is out, day to day public PvP in ArmA2 is pretty much dead (note the word "public"). Facts talk for themselves.

I remember public PvP in OFP being in far better shape, I remember many (many from PR community, btw) coming to ArmA2 in release day to check it out. Where are they?

Again, facts talk for themselves. So if a group of ArmA2 modders/scripters get involved in a project solely aimed at re-building some kind of PvP community, I'm all for it.

They do it differently than ACE2? Who cares? Cornerstone of OFP serie since release : freedom. People advocating only one way of playing and doing things in ArmA2 have completely forgotten this, so it seems. There is no "one way of doing things" with this engine, you can do as you wish, that's the whole point of what BI made for us. Even "realism" is not the only way to play this game, far, far, far from it

LOL you must be kidding. Check the names, they ARE from ArmA2 community, and the way I read it, pretty big assets. Mandoble only has probably done for OFP/ArmA community orders of magnitude more than you do here. And it's only 1 name in the list. You MUST be kidding.

Dig it.

# [R-DEV]UK_Force - Operations Lead

# StalkerGB

# Deanosbeano

# Dr_Eyeball

# trini_scourge

# norrin

# Mandoble

# fromz

# Cougar

# Palehorse1

I don't know about you ladies but every name on that list is just about an instant download because you know their stuff is gonna be quality. Now you have all of them working on one mod and people take out their crying tissues...beyond me.

From all the threads I read in this forum the PvP needs a boost and people want it. This PR will be good for that.

In short: everything that people want to make and play is good. Noone needs the whole of the community to agree to make something, they do it for their own enjoyment. We are not a family, we play the same game. Thats it.

im only too happy that theres a new team on the block thats looks promising and cant wait to see it realized.unfortunately there are a lot of armchair generals who have nothing better to do than troll,ignore them they dont speak for most of us.keep up the excellent work thank you

Dig it.

I don't know about you ladies but every name on that list is just about an instant download because you know their stuff is gonna be quality. Now you have all of them working on one mod and people take out their crying tissues...beyond me.

What about me! :p

@Jax_2009 : simple fact, even after ACE2 is out, day to day public PvP in ArmA2 is pretty much dead (note the word "public"). Facts talk for themselves.

I remember public PvP in OFP being in far better shape, I remember many (many from PR community, btw) coming to ArmA2 in release day to check it out. Where are they?

Again, facts talk for themselves. So if a group of ArmA2 modders/scripters get involved in a project solely aimed at re-building some kind of PvP community, I'm all for it.

Simple fact, I gave my opinion of how I felt this mod would work. Another simple fact, other people gave their opinions, I read them and then responed to those who slammed me for my opinions, which in turn flared my other opinions.

I also remember the OFP pvp being more than the current ArmA II community and the reason for that is all that the servers play is coop missions. The mission development community was much more during the OFP days than they are now. Why this is I do not know, but the main point of what I was trying to get to with my original post; if we want more pvp then why not start developing and hosting more pvp missions. Everyone's failsafe for improvement is always to build a MOD, when scripting and developing the mission will serve the same purpose much more effectively. ACE2 was developed as a realism mod...not as a coop mod. I do not think that the ACE team meant for their mod to be used soley for coop purposes and am willing to bet that it wasn't.

The lack of pvp is the fault of the community as a whole. Look at every server and you will find a majority of coops like domination, which is fun for a while, but gets extremely old quick and there is no real challange to it. Unfortunately most servers run these missions because they draw in the public players...public opinion is at fault. If you want more PvP you need to start advocating for more pvp missions to be developed, that aren't low quality.

I personally choose pvp missions over coop missions any day of the week due to the ability to play against a human that is more adaptable and challanging than the AI in the game. I have been advocating pvp missions for the 3rdMD servers for a while and we are currently looking for quality pvp missions to run, without much success. If the PR team can accomplish the re-building of pvp without pulling away from what ArmA is and is compatible with other addons that many enjoy using, such as ACE for example, I will use it. But I will have to see it before I believe it.

Edited by Jax_2009

Think its better to wait for further news (perhaps with ingame footage) and judge the PR mod when its released.

Now one question is still not answered: If there are issues with other addons/mods will those be fixed asap or does the PR mod say something like - "We don't care, our mod doesn't need any kind of additional content made from other people" ?

...or does the PR mod say something like - "We don't care, our mod doesn't need any kind of additional content made from other people" ?

I think their position would be more like "...stacking other mods on top of PR can only persist the current nightmare players face when attempting to find a public server they can actually join. We prefer to prioritise accessibility over extensibility by promoting a uniform server & client." But then neither of us is really in a position to put words in their mouth.

I agree with you Jax_2009. To boost the PvP missions are needed. Its all about the missions. Or so I believe. That is why Im curious what the PR mod itself will add that boosts PvP.

The best boost for easy accessible PvP must be some good PvP missions that enforces PR like team play and uses no addons. That way anyone can join in quick and easy.

Please do not take this as any form of PR bashing! I am just wondering and as there are no direkt info about what will be changed it has triggered my curiousity :)

Edited by andersson

All the flaming, bashing and spamming stops here and now. This Mod will not divide the community more than any other Mod does so for the sake of those looking for valuable information stop spamming the thread with such nonsense.

This and all other unrelated spam is considered to be removed anytime soon.

I'd love it if the PR team uses something like Yoma's AddOn Sync to update their mod.

I'd love it if the PR team uses something like Yoma's AddOn Sync to update their mod.

Or even if they made their own updating software, so we wouldnt have to download patches all the time, instead just launch updater ;)

*cough*SIXUPDATER*Cough* :rolleyes:

@PR Team: Don't waste your time with discussing your critics to death. It won't help. And it is not going to become better, even when you released the mod. Ask the BAS guys (e.g. DM). Or any other guy who ever released something *big* in the last years here ... ;)

I do not like the BF community because it is primarily comprised of immature kids and teenagers who do not give a shit about the game play or the commradery of the team...all they care about is the next kill and who has the highest score.

The PR community doesn't like them either, but those kinds of BF players don't have the patience and appreciation to stay around in PR long anyway.

You say the purpose of your mod is to "To create a realistic and immersive modification for ArmA2, which focuses on encouraging teamwork through gameplay"...has your team ever seriously played ArmA?

I understand that if you're already part of a solid PvP community you find that goal redundant, however the 'PR-way' is more widespread and standardized.

As for your question, you must admit that's a silly thing to ask considering most of the ArmA2 mod team are established ArmA2 modders.

I truly hope your goal is not to make ArmA II more like BF2 because, if I want to dumb things down and make it easier I would just go play BF2...guess that's just my opinion.

I don't think they've actually said anything about 'dumbing things down' or 'making it more like BF2'. I assume they intend on applying certain PR game play principles in an appropriate way, but how it will be mixed is still unknown.

I think the "PR Mod" is not going to be good for the ArmA community in it's current direction. You would be better served colaborating with a team that has already mastered the very aspects you look to change or "improve". Your teams inability to listen to some of the most experienced modders and players in the ArmA community and the talk of limiting servers is also very disturbing. Unlike the BF community, ArmA II relies on the cohesive partnership of our modders and the ability to work together for the sake of the game and not the sake of an individual mod.

Stalker's stated that in it's current form the mod is still compatible with ACE. However they're probably not going to spend development time and effort on ensuring that it stays that way. Which is fair enough IMO if their objective is to be self-sufficient and standalone.

I don't see how they've ignored the ArmA2 community, they seem to be well aware of other developments and responded several times in this thread.

Edited by Snazz

10th Rezza, there is a <100kb rule for images on this forum. Just a friendly heads up. http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1590661&postcount=258

Wow, mods are sleeping it seems. Next time please RTM such posts (users who're breaking this rule the first time usually get a warning and no infraction, so your conscience stays be clean :p).

@PR Team: Don't waste your time with discussing your critics to death. It won't help. And it is not going to become better, even when you released the mod. Ask the BAS guys (e.g. DM). Or any other guy who ever released something *big* in the last years here ... ;)

BAS were bad ass...it's a shame they stopped modding.

looks to be a great help to Project Reality. The same setting so a whole bunch of nice map assets and appropriate units :D

looks to be a great help to Project Reality. The same setting so a whole bunch of nice map assets and appropriate units :D

I wonder how close the fictional 'Takistan' is to Afghanistan and whether the assets can be used in non-Arrowhead ArmA2 mods.

Edited by Snazz