Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality Development

As someone who has created mods that are duplicative of existing ones, I can say with much humor: because they want to. :D

Guys UK Force is the operations lead and until now no detailed statements were given.You cannot long for something that is not even told yet.

Btw i thought you guys had asked about Battlefield:PR.I am not trying to convince anyone.Someone asked what PR was about there you go i just gave you info :)

This is all i got for you.

Q. Is ARMA 2 the super bug filled mess people say it is?

A. The game was never really as bad as alot of people made out. After the latest patch 1.05 the game is fine. The main cause for concern at release came from a buggy campaign. I personally had made a number of missions in the editor and never encountered a real big problem. As I said, most "bad" bugs have been fixed by now.

Q. Will ARMA run on my system?

A. Sites like canyourunit are handy for finding this out. If you are borderline, I advise taking a look at the ARMA2 demo. Although the demo is a pretty poor relresentation of the current 1.05 ARMA2 if you can run the demo the full game with patches will certainly be alot smoother.

Q. Do mods work on the steam version?

A. Yes, there are a number of tutorials about the internet for doing this. The only real difference is the location where ARMA2 installs, (steamapps or whatever it is )

Q. Can you have (insert idea for game) in ARMA2?

A. generally the answer to this question is yes, most ideas can in some way be realised in the ARMA engine. The same goes for changing difficulty in game such as 3rd person view. The options are already there to turn it off. Its up to the server or mission maker.

Q. What are the player limts?

A. Technically there is no player limit. It will depend on the capability of the server and it's available bandwidth. Large stable games normally consist of 100-120 players on beefy servers. As the years go on and servers become more powerful, you could probably see something like 200 or so.

Q. What are the map sizes? How many are there?

A. ArmA2 comes standard with 2 maps. One of them is 225km2, the other is (rough guess) about 25-30km^2. There are a ton of high quality user made maps (no kidding on the high quality part, some of them are truly amazing). They include Isla Duala, Quesh-Kibrul, Razoreniya, Thirsk Island (releasing today i think) and more.

Q. Does ArmA2 have "kits" or weapon restrictions?

A. This is entirely up to the mission designer, and I mean entirely. The weapon "kits" can as strict or as open as the mission designer wants it to be. Generally, good missions will include some kind of weapon limitation. A designer can give the players a stockpile of weapons, a specfic set of weapons, or none at all.

Q. Will the Devs use/borrow/lease third-party mods or will they develop every feature themselves?

A. "PR:ArmA2 will exist as a standalone modification. It will remain self contained, self developing and not rely on or use externally held add ons from other sources where at all possible."

Q. Will there be a server license system with fixed servers setting to avoid various customized rules we see on Arma2 servers ?

A. Anyone who has the mod can host a server using that mod. That is the way the ArmA architecture is. The only thing they could limit is the BIKey files, but that would only prevent unauthorized mods from being used on the server, not prevent people from actually hosting. Also, the server/client files for the mod will be exactly the same. It's virtually impossible to stop people from running custom PR servers as it is with any other ArmA2 mod.

Q. How will PR: ArmA2 be distrbuted?

A. Manual Install - 7z file, with a read me etc.

Installer (Mainly for the potential new players to ArmA2)

Q. Will this slow down BF2:PR work?

A. Put simply, no. The DEVs working on ARMA 2 have been recruited from the OPF/ARMA community and are not taken from the team working on BF2:PR.

Q. What is the latest ArmA2 patch?

A. The latest official patch is 1.05. You do not need to download any previous patches, 1.05 includes them all. there are also beta paches that are released by BIS everynow and again. Generally they fix/enhance more things in the game. They are also used by BIS for testing parts of the game before official release... sometimes these tests don't go so well. The beta patches are also MP compatible, so you will be able to play on servers with the latest official patch (i.e. 1.05).

Q. Does TrackIR work with ArmA: II? Does it work well?

A. Yes, it works extremely well. Search on youtube for "trackIR arma2" for demonstration video of TrackIR5 and ArmA2.

Q. What are the squad/group size limits?

A. The limits are roughly:

- 5 sides (USMC, CDF, Russia, Chedaki, NAPA, 6 if you count civilians)

- 144 groups per side

- 400+ men per group (not sure of exact amount)

so that means you can have more than 288,000 soldiers. I doubt we will be reaching these limits any time soon, if ever.

Originally Posted by UK_Force

Guys I would just like to make it clear here - there is no "rivalry" involved at all with anyone !!

PR respects the work that ACE 2 do within the ArmA world, however our goal is totally different so really can not be compared.

Our goal is to create a Mod for ArmA2 which is based around PvP (not coop) on well administered "Public" servers, for the players who want to be involved in realistic teamwork, and gameplay - we are currently working on an Insurgency Mode too as we speak.

We will not be using ACE 2 or CBA, everything we do we will be doing in house as a team, for us this is what will work best for us.

Yes it will take a bit of time, however we can then work at our speed, and are not dictated by other Mod Teams, to redevelop so that we remain compatible with them.

This I know is not to everyone's liking, and that's fine, as we want to attract players who want to play our Mod, in the way we have set out to create it, we are not simply putting out a Modification - to see how many players we can get playing, if our Mod is good it will come naturally.

We have a "large" talented team at Project Reality, and think we are up to it. We are fully aware it will take time to get it right, and are happy with our decision.

Thank You - I hope that clears some questions up.

UKF

Our main aim for PR:ArmA2 is:

"To create a realistic and immersive modification for ArmA2, which focuses on encouraging teamwork through gameplay"

As with Project Reality's original conception on the Refractor 2 engine, at this stage PR:ArmA2 should be classed as a Mini-Mod; we have to start somewhere! Don't be fooled though, this release will by no means disappoint, due to the large number of high quality art assets already created by the Project Reality Team, and the considerable experience of the PR:ArmA2 Development Team on the Real Virtuality 3 engine!

PR:ArmA2 will exist as a standalone modification. It will remain self contained, self developing and not rely on or use externally held add ons from other sources where at all possible. What that means to the player is that it will be a 'one stop shop' as an installation package, with no requirement for additional multiple add on packs.

We also want to emphasis we are not in direct competition with any of the other great mods out there. However as a team we want to see what we can now do with the Real Virtuality 3 engine, as well as the continued full scale continued development of PR for Battlefield2. We are not in any way changing engines. We have simply expanded the team's reach into ArmA2 with new developers. It is not PR2, nor are we ceasing PR:BF2 development.

-Official Project Reality ArmA2 Mini-Mod v0.1 Release Trailer

Project Reality Studios has created the following trailer to showcase many of the features you will find in the PR:ArmA2 v0.1 release. So, dim the lights, grab your popcorn, sit back and enjoy the show!YouTube Video

-From concept to creation

The original concept came from [R-DEV]UK_Force over 9 months ago; the aim was to create a modification of ArmA2 in line with the Project Reality vision, bringing PR-style gameplay to the Real Virtuality 3 engine. This project has finally overcome the first hurdle towards becoming a reality with its first release, due soon. The team has drawn on some of the finest ArmA2 modders and developers, and following their amalgamation production, started in earnest with work going on behind the scenes to make this happen before official announcement.

It now gives us great pleasure to officially welcome the personalities resposible for PR:ArmA2 into the Project Reality development team. In doing so, we would like to take this moment to thank them for their hard work over the last few months. We are very proud to officially welcome [R-DEV]StalkerGB, [R-DEV]DeanosBeano, [R-DEV]Dr_Eyeball and [R-DEV]trini_scourge as the newest additions to the Project Reality Development Team!

-Features

Mirroring Project Reality's original goal, the British Army are featured strongly in this initial release, with a Taliban opposition all set on a beautiful Afghanistan-themed map, created by [R-DEV]DeanosBeano.

The advantages of using a more modern graphical environment really shows off the original PR art assets to their full potential - you'll look at the Scimitar, Challenger and all the others in a whole new light! [R-DEV]StalkerGB has put in many hours working on the infantry models and his work can be seen in all its glory. Ever up-to-date, we even bring you the new British MTP (Multi Terrain Pattern) uniforms announced by the Ministry of Defence last month!

As you would expect from any Project Reality development, gameplay improvements will feature strongly. These will take some time to get to where we want, however there have already been changes made to reflect PR-style gameplay, courtesy of [R-DEV]Dr_Eyeball, who has brought over his Devastation Mod to the project. This will form the basis of PR:ArmA2 gameplay

We are now happy to announce that PR:ArmA2 is at Beta Stage, and as we are sure you can understand, due to the gameplay changes implemented, this is a very important part we need to get right. We plan on releasing PR:ArmA2 v0.1 in the near future. Please be patient with us and keep an eye on the newly added PR:ArmA2 Forums, as well as keeping up to date with the latest Project Reality news for future developments on a concrete release timeframe.

With the creative talents and realism-based goals of the current contributors already in place, this will surely develop into a great ArmA2 mod; so expect a lot more to follow in the future. As always, the Project Reality Studios team would like to thank all those who make our developments possible; in this case the supporting ArmA2 mod sites, server providers, and of course our dedicated community for all their continued support. Without your combined efforts and contributions, Project Reality would not be where it is today and certainly would not be expanding into the ArmA2 arena. See you on the new battlefield soon!

-The Project Reality Team

UK_Force

Then you will be fully aware of what our gameplay will involve then surely?

Asymmetrical gameplay, and also an Insurgency Mode for ArmA2.

All Copy Pasted.

Most common sentence is bringing Teamwork to ARMA II PVP.

If you search around you will find info.

Rezza;1590824']All Copy Pasted.

It's The Internet so you must have seen links before. :butbut:

How about we just wait for the official announcement rather than make theories up and paste random text from all over the Internet? :p

Ok.

I dont see this as "vs ACE" at all (even if ACE can be used as coop or PvP just as vanilla arma as its all up to the missions made).

I know from the list of members that you have quite a few very talented ofp/arma modders so I guess it will be a very good result!

But from that list of modders Im curious what cant be made in the mission itself?

I guess a standard addon pack makes it more accessible for people? But then again, if its easy MP access you want why dont you go addon free?

And there is my question one more time (out of true curiousity!), what cant be made in a mission that has to be modded?

No need to explain PR for BF nor explain what arma2 is ;) I am curious what PR for arma2 will mean and what the mod itself will do. Is the mod "only" to add a standard set of addons or will it change gameplay that cant be done in a mission, and in that case what?

All this copy paste answering is only making me more curious!! :D

Deadfast all the text i copied are official announcements.

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f380-project-reality-news/77777-project-reality-arma2.html

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f440-pr-arma2-general-discussion/77975-arma-2-faqs.html

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f440-pr-arma2-general-discussion/77938-pr-arma2-compatibility-other-add-ons.html

There you go the other posts i copied are from this thread.Do some research.I think a more detailed announcement will be made anytime soon.

the way it looks, its going to divide the community- but no complaints, would be AWESOME if people who played bf2/mw2/arcade shooters were occupied with their own mod.

Edited by Vick

Even "IF" everything you said were true, at the end of the day no one is forcing you to play it, so how about you move on and continue playing arma2 the way you see fit.

Wow...is that all you have...go troll somewhere else where people may be impressed by your well thought out and executed insults.

TB Id like to wait for an official announcement on further development, rather than reading theories, and Rezza's Public-Announcements on PR's History and how it will make arma2 rather than just add to it, because, i actually do look forward to the Units in PR:Arma,

Have you ever played Arma public? Not exactly the haven of team work. In PR on BF2 on the other hand, teamwork is almost the standard.

So how about getting off the high horse for a moment? I myself is eager to see what they can do with the Arma 2 public situation.

And in the meantime, Ill stay on closed servers where things actually make a bit of sense, and people dont run off with Javelins and sniper rifles to single handedly "take over a town."

Yes, I play Arma public all the time. The people I game with actively use teamplay and tactics for any and all missions we run. Join us sometime on the 3rd Mar Div servers.

Actually I think they're doing this mod to avoid some Bf2 limitations and extend the pvp dimension on Arma2. Plus that if you had played Pr you would know that the game is really slow and hard, it's not like Arma2 coops where you kill dozens of dumb IAs in a game, actually kills on Pr are really gratifying. You should just forget Bf2 when you talk about Project Reality.

Not sure what group of ArmA people you game with and what missions you are used to, but "easy" isn't what myself and those we game with are all about. For the most part we are all active duty military and veterans...our game is only done through teamwork, as we try to keep what we do as realistic as possible.

Please, stop meddling. Many people are really excited by what this mod wants to accomplish, except those few whining all along this thread...

It's not meddling, its called using my god given right to give my opinion. I have played BF2:PR and I do not think it will work within the ArmA community with the mindset it has now. There is no need for a new MOD to accomplish what they want, that's the beauty of ArmA and the ability to develop and script missions. All of what they want, other than the addons of UK units and gear, can be accomplished and has been in many cases.

Edited by Jax_2009

With the elitist "I'm better than thou" mindset, you mean?

Has nothing to do with being "elitist". It has to do with fun and if you have restrictions forced on you to ensure teamplay, then you are not fostering a team environment you are fostering a dictatorship and people will find a way to get around the system. When you have a group of people who "chose" to play that way you will have more fun and less issues.

Edited by Jax_2009

PR team, it would appear 3rd MD (I hear God has granted them certain special rights because they all wear uniforms when they play) haven't granted you the necessary approval to make your mod according to your own design. Please halt all development immediately.

Yes, I play Arma public all the time. The people I game with actively use teamplay and tactics for any and all missions we run. Join us sometime on the 3rd Mar Div servers.

Not sure what group of ArmA people you game with and what missions you are used to, but "easy" isn't what myself and those we game with are all about. For the most part we are all active duty military and veterans...our game is only done through teamwork, as we try to keep what we do as realistic as possible.

It's not meddling, its called using my god given right to give my opinion. I have played BF2:PR and I do not think it will work within the ArmA community with the mindset it has now. There is no need for a new MOD to accomplish what they want, that's the beauty of ArmA and the ability to develop and script missions. All of what they want, other than the addons of UK units and gear, can be accomplished and has been in many cases.

those UK troops they want, are in the free VBS2 demo, it was actually given out for free in england, could probably download it online somewhere id imagine, i don't know, but all the same, there's your British troops done by a team that far surpasses your talent. unless you want to make your own homemade, i mean studio.

just for the clueless, by default vanilla arma 2 walks circles around bf2PR

Edited by Vick

It's not meddling, its called using my god given right to give my opinion. I have played BF2:PR and I do not think it will work within the ArmA community with the mindset it has now.

I can only speak for myself but I would welcome PR gameplay for arma2 wih wide open arms and a big smile on my face.

Coop games are fun but I have not had many moments where I joined a random server and was able to enjoy mp gameplay like I did with PR BF2.

And Dont get me wrong, I dont like vanilla BF2.

PR team, it would appear 3rd MD (I hear God has granted them certain special rights because they all wear uniforms when they play) haven't granted you the necessary approval to make your mod according to your own design. Please halt all development immediately.

First, the 3rd MD doesn't have anything to do with my opinion. Do not hurt yourself while you try to comprehend this, but just because I sport the 3rd MD tag it does not indicate that everything I say is for the entire unit...we have freedom of speech and I use it often. I know this concept must be new to you, but try to keep up ok skippy.

Second, let me get you a tissue to wipe the tears and some tweezers to pull the sand from your vagina, because you sound like you have a personal grudge. If you have a personal beef with the 3rd, take it up with your mom as I'm sure she is the only one who cares. Unless you were a part of the 3rd MD, you know nothing about us.

Come on guys, what's with all the negativity?

Worst thing that can happen is that it'll draw a lot of new players to our wonderful game!

Allthough there may indeed be very good reasons not to drop the CBA thing...

With the elitist "I'm better than thou" mindset, you mean?

if anybody has that elitist mindest its the PR team, ignoring the entire modding/scripting community, and their time invested in the game. its pretty much a form of plagiarism- as someone said earlier- why reinvent the wheel?

appreciate the sarcasm though

Edited by Vick

Comparing the comments in PR:A2 related topics here and on the PR forum I’m having trouble figuring out which community is the mature one and which is filled with angry kids. A third of the posts here are pointless and only make it harder for people to find the relevant posts.

I’m happy to see that at least their community is excited about this new project, they see it as a great step forward for PR while people here don’t even see a reason for this mod to exist. This is really a first since I don’t really remember any other mod which was ever questioned about its purpose. What’s sure is that at least some of the PR players are now considering buying Arma2 or already bought it because of this new mod.

Sad... i dont think i want to come back to this thread, its embarrassing, someone wants bring something cool to the mix and people start throwing there toys out of the sand box!

This community is famous for smirking at any other FPS as silly games for immature teenagers... but check us out :confused:

Edited by Katipo66

Godamn there's some angry people in here :eek:

Don't like it...don't play it. Simple as that.

Me, I welcome anything that opens up and broaden's different styles of play especially in the PvP area.

Come on guys, what's with all the negativity?

Worst thing that can happen is that it'll draw a lot of new players to our wonderful game!

Allthough there may indeed be very good reasons not to drop the CBA thing...

I gave my opinion that I personally do not see this working as presented and the trolls opened their doors. The only negativity I show is towards them. I am sceptical due to what sounds like an unwillingness to listen to the mod/scripting community (and 6 people from ArmA II does not consititute the mod/scripting community) on issues that have already been brought up and resolved or improved. The one thing I can say about the ACE team is that they truly "get" the community and have embraced it with their development process, which is why it is so successful.

Also the idea that ACE2 is for coop style game play only is for those who do not think outside the box and try using it with pvp (AAS, C&H, etc.) style missions. You would be suprised at what can be done when you have hundreds of people working to improve the system over 6 or 7....so I think the elitist comment was a far stretch earlier (not directed to you Yoma) as to be elite you are one of few...I am one of many.

if anybody has that elitist mindest its the PR team, ignoring the entire modding/scripting community, and their time invested in the game. its pretty much a form of plagiarism- as someone said earlier- why reinvent the wheel?

appreciate the sarcasm though

LoL well since the arrival of PR ppl are getting outrageous which means this is groundbreaking...So I salute the groundbreakers who stir up the ash beneath the water.(ash being immature ppl who rage like this and water being the loving supporters220px-Spock_vulcan-salute.png

I commend the PR team for this initiative and look forward to playing PR in Arma2. Never played BF/PR but I have heard alot about it. I would love to see some ctf regulars from Arma in PR against some PR vets from BF! Also I hope the mod will support bots or SP/practice mode at some point if not allready.

Congratulations to our community members who are involved with this mod. Looks like a very talented group and we are in store for a really great experience.

... ignoring the entire modding/scripting community, and their time invested in the game....

I really don't mean this as a personal attack, so apologies in advance if it comes across that way: did you read the list of who from the ArmA community is contributing? Maybe you meant your statement to be some sort of hyperbole?

There are some serious heavy-hitters in that list by UK_Force. Guys that helped create the stuff that we all take for granted.

Almost any new mod ignores some faction of what exists now. Heck, look at the overlap among ACE, SLX, DAC, GL4+FX, VFAI, ZeusAI, etc. Each is a bit different - thankfully so.

This'll be just another item on the menu. Maybe like a chicken sandwich. Some people like steak, or sushi, or quiche. Some people like different kinds of chicken sandwich. Doesn't mean one is better than the other, just that they are different.