Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality Development

Ok, I must note something:

I only wrote about my concerns. I did not review the product.

I did sound negative but that's how I would normally communicate when working with others on some project.

The thing I liked the most in BF2 mod and would love to see in Arma2 is the attempt at portraying an assymetric conflict.

Civilians mixed with enemy, threat of violating ROE and difference in force size/ tweaking the objectives to be easier to hold for one side...

As opposed to normal game practice of making both sides equally equipped.

Now we have assymetric warfare in Arma, but not in PvP. (hint :D)

I haven't played much ArmA2 lately but I've always loved the PR for BF2 and I'd totally jump in game to play this for ArmA2.

The thing I liked the most in BF2 mod and would love to see in Arma2 is the attempt at portraying an assymetric conflict.

Civilians mixed with enemy, threat of violating ROE and difference in force size/ tweaking the objectives to be easier to hold for one side...

Boo-yah! :yay:

SERIOUS agreement on that score! Asymmetric combat scenarios are seriously lacking in many A2 missions, IMHO.

Then you will be fully aware of what our gameplay will involve then surely?

Asymmetrical gameplay, and also an Insurgency Mode for ArmA2.

Why all the trepidation?

Have you even played BF2's PRM?? Have you seen what the PRM development team did with BF2 even with the limits built into it's engine??

Why not just sit back , wait and see what they come up with THEN judge rather than merely speculating.

Try to turn a blind eye to some of the people posting in this thread. You will find that some people are treating this as some sort of "n00b invasion" because its linked with the BF series.

Regardless of this, and in any community you have your bad apples and good. Take the necessary steps to complete your goals, as with any mod or addon here released for the BIS community. People should know this by now.

Time to open the doors people, for too long has the arma2 community been circulating the same "realism" addons, why can't this engine have something more plug and play, or even something totally unrealistic (shock horror)

We have a stable engine, thanks to BIS and any number of ideas and content can be created without the need of people acting as babysitters for newcomers. The PR team has collected a substantial amount of talent from the BIS community, and I wonder why this is?

If PR can bring, not only teamwork but also some what correct military procedures in MP then Im all for it. I have given up playing on public servers in Arma for a while now.

I mean, whats the point of having this military simulator-game, with all these features that aims for realism when people play it in a non-military way!?

Many public servers, particular PVP servers are a silent kindergarden with people running around like it was some sort of singelplayer MMO, its such a turn off I cant play it anymore.

Yes me, Im talking about me and want I want, nothing more. Atleast with PR I hope the ones that want military team-work will have a place to go and know it without having to join a squad.

If PR will change this(Pls do!), then I hope they will deliver because ArmaII Multiplayer needs you!

[im]http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/ec4068aa85fefbd825e1ed89f8a76d353d56bb3e.png[/img]

[im]http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/555f6db28e42e34dc5d997315e4e18c4f6149d91.png[/img]

[im]http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/87bd291c67e0c22d276fc057cb4205b375e37ad6.png[/img]

[im]http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/5b36efcf4db831c2fb37a78fb32b39dfa89d4450.png[/img]

[im]http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/d8344c7b816976e27b99d910288a5718a55ce6d7.png[/img]

Project Reality

Teamplay Redefined...

Beer its not quite as good as Pr but when mixed together its a whole nother party-"Sawbones"

If youre a serious battlefield 2 fan Project Reality is a fresh reason to re-enlist*- "Gamespy".

The Only Mod For Bf 2 Thats Worth Playing – "MODDB "

Get ready for the meanest , most ruthlessly -demanding shooting experiences around -"IGN "

One of The most Realistic Wargames Ever "Pelıt Magazıne"

The Brutal Warzone Of Project Reality "IGN"

As close to war you are going to get when it comes to the battlefield franchise-"Totalbf2.com"

Teamwork Always Come Fırst "Gamestar"

Still wish you were here?

Edited by raedor

now i know why i stop playing bf2 and move to arma2 lol the game just look like crap,but i did like the team work in PR mod will be nice to see how this plays out

good luck with your mod

Edited by Lightninguk

or even something totally unrealistic (shock horror)

I am almost aghast to admit it around here, but my fave OFP mod was that warhammer 40k modification. It was hillariously unrealistic, but it did show that you can do more than just model M4 carbines perfectly with this game. Good times were had.

Now bring on teh lazers, babbeh!

As for doing PVP well, I am thoroughly in the school of beating your players with a gameplay stick until they do it right, which is exactly what PR did. Plopping down spawnpoints or magically outfitting yourself as a pilot might not be the most realistic approach, but it gets the job done and promotes teamwork, and that is all that matter, I think.

However, PRBF was built on a game that presented a fairly cartoony version of modern warfare, whereas Armas approach is a bit more uncaring and ruthless (both a bane and a boon to the game, I suppose), so I am interested in seeing how the team will tackle that difference.

Btw Rezza, the mods are gonna have hoe-down on your skull if you don't resize those pics. They are kinda picky about that.

Edited by Hund

Is there no auto resize?

Yea i am looking for a way to do it on the editing.

The game might look like crap but the fun is just incomparable.You forget the graphics when you wind up with 18 soldiers engaging hostile positions on the other side of the road.Trying to flank etc.

Awesome news to me.

Just a lil question, as I've never played PR : scale, what do you intend?

My personnal view on A2 is that, aside from realism which I'm not too much concerned about as long as immersion is there (and A2 is not too bad in that department), the main, biggest difference between ArmA and.... basically everything else, is its scale.

From what I've read, PR also had expanded ranges from BF2 to something bigger.

What are your typical plans in term of map scale (fight range, player numbers)? And, as often more range means more empty fields and gameplay issues, how will A2:PR handle it?

I'm very interested in "good PVP", so, I'm very happy to see this development.

Question for the PR devs: Will the AAS mode used in the mod be the one currently in use in Arma2?

Rezza;1590678']Is there no auto resize?

No, the forums are a little antiquanted in that respect.

You'll want to watch the file sizes too, maximum allowed here is 100kb per image.

Is the M1 a PR model or a BF2 one (havent played in YEARS, so dont remember) If its a PR one its kinda lulzy that the GPS is on the wrong side of the tank, realism eh :p (all in good fun :D )

What are you guys going to do about Operation Arrowhead? It seems to include a lot of the stuff you will be making....

Uh, can you please identify any British units in that video at all, cm.? :confused:

All I see are Americans, Czechs and Germans.

Uh, can you please identify any British units in that video at all, cm.? :confused:

All I see are Americans, Czechs and Germans.

I guess you make a pretty good point...

As I never played BF nor BF:PR can someone please explain what this mod will do? Why is there a need for a mod, isnt a mission enough to get the PR gameplay? If it was made as a mission; ace, or whatever mods, could be used to get the "realism".

Nothing negative from me, Im just curious and dont know :)

PR creates a setting that rewards teamplay, while lone wolves stand little chance.

In BF2, they did this both by missions & features. I guess it will be that way in ArmA 2 too.

Ok, so what features needs to be modded and what can be achieved through the missions?

What is PR?

http://www.vimeo.com/2434482

Project Reality is a free to download game modification for the Battlefield 2 (BF2) retail windows game. The Reality Mod installs alongside the existing game installation allowing both the original game and Project Reality to be played separately without causing conflicts.

The Mod developers aims are to rework the original game engine developed by Digital Illusions of Sweden (Dice) within legal and feasible constraints to create a more realistic combat environment for the gaming community. This includes adjusting various gameplay elements including physics, visual effects and overall game play formats. Along with changes to how the game handles, the PR team has introduced the British, Russian, Taliban and Insurgent factions, plus a number of community assisted factions are currently in the works.

Project Reality has won second place two years running in ModDB.com's annual Mod of the Year competition (2006 & 2007), culminating in first place in 2008. The competition is the definitive event that showcases the best mods and indie games in the world and recognises the teams behind them.

The Project Reality team comprises a group of dedicated individuals, several of whom have backgrounds in armed services and whose sole task is to provide researched material, including statistical information to the developers. These are in turn tasked with coding and creating the mod itself. If you are looking for a fact based first person shooter from the perspective of a combat soldier, we feel Project Reality will provide for your gaming needs.

"Battlefield is all about fun, action-oriented gameplay. We'll leave the truly realistic experiences to the mod teams who thrive on that type of action." (DICE)

"Battlefield will always be first about fun and secondly about realism. Realism implies complexity." (Sean Decker)

"As close to war as you are going to get when it comes to the Battlefield franchise" (TotalBF2.com)

"Get ready for one of the meanest, most ruthlessly-demanding shooter experiences around." (IGN.com)

The Mod is currently in its thirteenth incarnation, Project Reality 0.9. In its earliest forms, the Project Reality Mini-Mod series began as a platform to experiment with certain realism changes and analyse their impact on gameplay with the retail BF2 engine. As the changes have progressed into tried and tested features it has become a product with a frequent release schedule which provides the gaming community with ever increasing material on the battlefield whilst improving on the realistic gaming necessary to satisfy their needs.

The ultimate goal continues to be the path to develop and release Project Reality v1.0, a stable and complete build which will be a markedly increased step up from the Project Reality Mini-Mod beginnings. This will include a complete British faction, including their various soldier classes, weaponry, vehicles and assets, as well as additional factions created by the community with help from the core developers.

Edited by [10th] Rezza

I guess most features *could* be achieved through missions (PR:BF2 features like Rally Points, restricted special weapons in squads depending on squad size... no clue what the will include in PR:armA2).

But as they plan to go stand-alone, it will safe them a lot of work if they go the addon-way. And some features could not be realized in missions alone, I guess (suppression effect?).

D.

[10th] Rezza nice copy & paste job but I think there is a need to explain and show more what PR like to do in Arma2. Are you able to to show something in Arma2 or are you only trying to convince people with BF:PR advertisements? ;)

@[10th] Rezza: thanks. I can understand it changed the original BF alot, but what will the arma2 version change?

edit:NoRailgunner was quicker ;)

Edit again: Im mostly curious what need to be modded as what I seen so far for the BF:PR could be done in a well made mission (?). If such a mission was made (PR team work and game mechanics) users could use whatever mods they liked and still play PR.

Edited by andersson

Im mostly curious what need to be modded as what I seen so far for the BF:PR could be done in a well made mission (?). If such a mission was made (PR team work and game mechanics) users could use whatever mods they liked and still play PR.

It's exactly what I say too, why create an another mod while addons which enhance the gameplay are already in arma II