Sign in to follow this  
craig.turner

Project Reality Development

Best till we release before you all start judging too much :)

@[10th] Rezza, my point about public servers is that alot of the time there can be very little real teamwork on them, its just a join and off you go kinda thing (not all the time though).

Also unlike with BF2 I think ARMA2 will more likely stay the same, what I mean is that it won't be unrecognisable from vARMA. Alot of the features PR has are by default in ARMA so there is less to fundamentally change.

@Hund, there won't be such tight control of servers as in BF2, I assume UK_Force will have an idea of how they would like them to be run but A2's server stuff does work far more freely than BF2s

judgement :)

Have to say Guys - I am surprised a little by the huge response so far, however am not too surprised by the actual content.

This is exactly what happened when we released on BF2 all those years ago ....lol.

Not going to comment too much, as I think I have pretty much said everything in my last post, and some of these posts are starting to go full circle now :D.

I have had 7 potential Server Admins, already who are willing to run Project Reality, which will run "similar" to how we run it on the BF2 Engine, so that is looking promising so far.

I know that people have so many questions to ask, and rightly so - this is a discussion forum after all, however right now we are working hard on the Mod itself, and do not want to lose focus, I hope you guys can appreciate this.

Please bear in mind, our initial release will be a small Modification, that will give us a good base to start from.

Once again in reference to ACE2/CBA, please understand our reasoning for this which I explained previously. We understand the concept behind ACE2 and CBA - however for us this does not suit our Particular aim, and is something we spent weeks discussing - but after weighing everything up have decided on this way.

That does not make us Naive, or even negative towards them ..... we simply decided that for us, this was the best approach.

Our Development team in total is over 90 or so strong, and as a team we have been around for the last 7 years, so have spent a long time researching, discussing and carrying out Proof Of Concepts, for everything we do ... we do not make decisions lightly, everything is looked at correctly first.

To finish, if you find this Mod is not for you, or indeed you do not want to play anything else that is not ACE2 or CBA compatible, then you don't have to play it of course ?

I hope to bring you all an update in the next week or so

Cheers

UKF

I see you're not using CBA, does this mean that the mod won't feature any extendedEventHandler support? I can imagine it might be quite hard to create such a large gamechanging mod without extendedEventHandlers.

Besides all of this, for myself at least I develop for ACE2 because it is what I want to see in the game, and its what I want to play.

Exactly my point .... and hence why Project Reality are doing this, and doing it the way we are.

Diversity of choice = good thing.

Let the marketplace of ideas (and ArmA2 mods) always be richly divergent. :)

Exactly my point .... and hence why Project Reality are doing this, and doing it the way we are.

I still see no legitimate reason to not use CBA. CBA is not ACE, it doesn't depend on ACE, or anything related to ACE to work. It provides lots of solutions to common problems that the community has run into over time. Its also incredibly small and you could no doubt release PR with the build number of your choice included in the package. It also automatically includes the BIS functions module as well.

There really is no reason not to use it. Extended Event handlers is the biggest thing probably, and you will end up having to do something like that anyways so why re-invent the wheel? :confused:

@NouberNou and anybody else

They made their decision, let them do it their way.

I cannot understand this either. It looks like PR will be a self contained package, that you can use as a whole or leave it.

PR team has made their decision and that is ok.

I personally clearly prefer the way ACE2 and all great mods are going. The more compatibility the more you can tailor the game to your needs.

Let them work on the mod and let us see what they will come up with.

@UKForce

Would appreciate more concrete info about the features in the mod, especially what gameplay change will be brought in or are planned at least.

I fail to see the problem of another (hopefully) great mod coming to the community. :p

ARMA2 can be so many things to so many different tastes, SP, mission editor fun, COOP, PvP. I've never seen a "game" environment that can cover such a vast range of entertainment and that using the vast array of mods out there, customize to such an extent.

If the PR mod enables a group of servers to host realistic, PvP matches that are consistently adminned, easy to join and *gasp* full of PR enthusiasts, what's not to love? I'm so, so looking forward to this mod and the new players I'm sure it'll bring.

Can't wait! :yay:

Edit: Just visited the PR forums, in a very unscientific poll of the responses, half the posters are excitingly dusting off their shelved ARMA2 copies and the other half are upgrading their comps and rushing out to buy it. : )

Edited by LugNut

Maybe the developers don't want to use any 3rd party addons/scripts. You have to respect their decision just like any other mod team. Just because these guys are new on the scene doesn't mean they can be directed by the "all wise and all knowing" community. (no matter how right or wrong)

If mistakes are to be made, let them learn from the experience. :cool:

Stop with CBA guys.

What I know this is not you who made the MOD, respect the choices of PR mod team.

Support them in their work.

Thank you for the development of PR on arma 2 Stalker GB and UK force.

Edited by RAIZEN

Excited that two of my favorite games are coming together in this way. I hope it turns out as good as BF2PR has been so far.

If PR developpers found another way to hijack some scripting limitations then it's great.

No need of CBA then.

Otherwise, they will take their own decisions themselves according to the situations they will be encountering.

Regards,

TB

Looking forward to getting reaquainted with ARMA2 using the PR Mod.

I've played PR since its public release. Still do. I've also played OFP, ARMA1 & 2. I was also a big supporter of Dr. Eyeballs' initial work in both ARMA1 & 2.

I quit playing ARMA because the PvP culture in the game(s) are far from the culture PR represents. As the community and teamplay aspect in PR gained momentum, ARMA's stagnated and never really grew.

In fact, there is no other game currently available where you can jump into a puiblic server and play as if you were all part of a highly tuned clan. I've watched PR evolve over the years and am still blown-away by this. Of course, game mechanics play a huge role in this and it's something the ARMA PvP community is sorely missing.

I'm really looking forward to the evolution of this mod in its new environment. If you're an ARMA and PR player, I'm sure you've often wondered how amazing these 2 would be, combined. Soon, we'll have an answer :)

And since they are seasoned mod makers im sure they can add whatever they need in their mod. CBA discussion over...

Looking forward to the mod. Bet it will make me go kick some "human" arse at last. :D And with my new rig i bet it will be very very fun.

CBA is not going to be that big for PR if they are going to make it standalone. Can't wait for this.

Edited by Hauler

Having not read through the rest of this 22 page thread, I was wondering if you (the devs of Project Reality for ArmA 2) intend to include BLUFOR sides OTHER than the British Armed Forces eventually?

I am assuming this might be the case with later releases, but just hoping someone could clarify whether its a possibility or not?

As personally I would definitely be happy to see more of a Joint/Coalition force given the location featured in this mod. Perhaps seeing Australian Defense Force, US Armed Forces (Army perhaps), or other European nations eventually included as a playable side.

One can but hope.

Well, as a member of HM Armed Forces I am glad to finally see British units in ArmA 2. I am sure they will at some point, but as the PR Devs keep saying, this initial release will be a mini mod, with GAME PLAY the main aim and consideration. Of course I could be wrong, but you will have to forgive UK Force if he is not here to answer for a bit, I am sure he is busy! ;)

@Stalker / UK_Force, will you make changes to the player movement system? Like making it less clunky?

The clunkyness stems from the fact that the viewport in arma is tied to the player model, while in BF (and more or less every other FPS known to mankind) it is essentially a floating camera, thus making it less ... eh, clunky.

I am not sure you could bypass this without some heavy reworking.

P.S. Is there somewhere I can go to read about this whole licensing deal you guys are talking about?

Edited by Hund

CBA is not going to be that big for PR if they are going to make it standalone. Can't wait for this.

XEH is needed for any amount of event handlers lest they overwrite the original BIS ones, other mod ones etc etc. Basically its good practice to even if it is stand alone... but I guess they will find that out on their own.

@UK_Force

That is your(PR) right, no doubt about it, however it just seems like a very bad move (not talking about ACE2 etc etc, simply CBA) in the long run, and it will no doubt be done by others if not by PR.

regards,

Romm

PS: ACE2 is not part of CBA, CBA is a standalone compatibility platform allowing us (the developers of mod 'x') to overcome many limitations within the game that pre-exist; and standardize the entire functions framework ceasing missions to be 800kb big for a few things.

Great news! I'm looking forward to your releases!

As personally I would definitely be happy to see more of a Joint/Coalition force given the location featured in this mod. Perhaps seeing Australian Defense Force, US Armed Forces (Army perhaps), or other European nations eventually included as a playable side.

One can but hope.

I think the man mentioned there may be others blue factions, and devs from Project Reality are really open to "community" made factions which is great for all those a bit bored of Anglo-Saxon militaries.

First they want the Uk forces in, I just hope one of the two French mod alive may join later, and also some others European forces "Germans ect..".

Edited by dunedain

The PR Mod from BF2 Has alot of community factions going that when finished have been added or are going to be added the game. You may or may not see this i do not know, but i would like to see it.

P.S. Is there somewhere I can go to read about this whole licensing deal you guys are talking about?

As we draw closer to a release, we will be inviting Server Admins to discuss how we see this working.

At present we have a very good system running in BF2, this is all made possible due to the close working relationship we have with the Server Admins.

Our current system in BF2 may give you an "idea", although will be somewhat different in ArmA2 of course. (Info on our site)

I also took a quick look last night to see what the server use was and compared ArmA2 to Project Reality - in terms of server use.

Bear in Mind - ArmA2 is of course the actual retail full game, and Project Reality is only a "Modification" of BF2 - not the full game, which is an aging engine in comparison to ArmA2.

Both Screen shots where taken within 1 min of each other, at a relatively peak time of the day for Gamers.

To me it clearly shows a "gap" for ArmA2 and one which I have stated we want to try to fill if possible (PvP) ;)

Player count sorted - Highest to top for both

ArmA2 Server Browser

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Craig2859/PR%20ArmA2/arma22010-03-1517-54-06-40.png

Project Reality Server Browser - (Totally redesigned from BF2, to make it PR friendly)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Craig2859/PR%20ArmA2/BF22010-03-1517-55-55-78.png

UKF