Sign in to follow this  
Benoist

Catching up plus "Will it Run"?

Yes, yes, yes... I know that there's a thread for the "Will it BlendRun" but I'm asking more here.

First of all, FUCK it's been ages since the last time I was here... I was still playing ArmAI (more or less a few months after ACE hit the stores) until my VGC decided to just... die. After that ArmA became just a good memory.

But now with time (more or less) and money (again, more or less... tha latter is a bit more appropriated) in my hands I'm going to give ArmAII a try.

Second: What's so different in ArmA and ArmAII?

Yes, I've read a few things but I want to hear it from the community, I'm have being playing BIS' games since 2003 so I don't wait an uber AI with smart movements in close quartes but what are the real improvements in ArmAII? Perhaps the vehicles are a bit more realistic in their movements? The AI has a bit of self-preservation? Things like that.

Also, things that didn't change. The AI is still able to find you 3km away and killing you with a bullet fired with a rusty AK-74 at the same distance?

Third: My PC

ASUSTeK P5KPL-AM SE

Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz

2GB DDR2 - Kingston

GeForce 8800GTX

Acording to CanYouRunIt it's just a bit lower than the middle in the "pass zone", but I don't know it it's going to run smooth or like ArmAI used to run in my old PC (like crap, if you didn't catch it).

So, could you answer this fellow community pal questions? :)

I'll give you cookies.

Edited by Benoist

From a guy suffering from "less"(money that is) this game lasts forever. Buy it! It's worth the cash.

For the AI, I made a little test to show how they move when cover is present under combat conditions:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Waaaghster?feature=mhw4#p/a/u/0/-BcYN5dBD9c

There´s a definitive improvement over the Arma 1 AI, however, there are still some old OFP glitches present such as occasional clipping trough walls (though its very rare on map objects, and usually only happens with things like fences, or user placed barriers) or Trucks falling off the road.

That and you can now reload while moving. For some reason that got me all excited when I got Arma 2, and when I go back to playing OFP I constantly get snapped out of existence because I try to reload while running and suddenly stop in front of a tank.

I agree with TimeRiceSE. Your going to be turning off a lot of eye candy. Try the Demo to see what you'll be playing at, and if it is acceptable to you.

ASUSTeK P5KPL-AM SE

Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz

2GB DDR2 - Kingston

GeForce 8800GTX

Like already mentioned that CPU will no way in hell run ArmA 2 in a playable way :)

ASUSTeK P5KPL-AM SE

Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz

2GB DDR2 - Kingston

GeForce 8800GTX

I cant find your exact motherboard on the asus site but afaik all p5k's support all core2duo's and quad's. secondhand a processor capable of running arma2 resonably well will cost you about 40 euro's. I used to run it with my e6750 on my p5k and an 8800gtx. Now I've upgraded to a core2quad (a q6600, about 90 euro's secondhand)

It actually runs very well, of course, graphics mid/low, but I played all the mission in the Demo and not a single freeze or lag.