Sign in to follow this  
Rayers12

So, I hear a lot about this series.

I've heard a lot about this game, no actual features or anything. What can you tell me about this game?

It's the apex predator for the full world open ended military sim. It's not a "sim" in the truest context of the word in that it may not have the true-to-life air/armour controls and damage systems, yet it delivers in terms of toy-soldier fun.

If your expecting COD/BF type infantry action you may be severly disappointed in that the AI is not scripted in the traditional sense of action always being oriented towards the player. The plus side of this is that you can have, witness or ignore various fighting taking place anywhere that plays out with or without you.

The editor is easy to use and a major draw for most of us, as you can set up just about any military scenario you wish with a few mouse clicks and much more if you care to learn some basic scripting.

Game support from the Devs is for the most part excellent, major and minor mods are released all the time as well as very good player-made missions.

If you like sandbox military fun, it's a winner.

While downloading the game (from a old build, now is somehow much better), read this:

Thinking about buying, have questions. Please Read

Should I buy this game?

Why is this game not more popular?

Is the campaign really that bad? Want to buy.

Think its cover pretty much everything. And know, this game is something ELSE. Its not BF, its not COD and there is nothing like this. Not even close.

Have more specific questions we can answer?

I've heard a lot about this game, no actual features or anything. What can you tell me about this game?

The meat and bones of this game is the editor. You can create any kind of battle you want with hundreds of units fighting. You have everyting from ground troops to tanks to jets to place where you want. For example here I created a mission where about 50 marines, 8 apaches, 2 M1A1'a and 2 A-10's attack an insurgent hotbed town with about 90 terrorist who have trucks with machine guns and rockets. I play a spotter who laser tags targets to support the air and ground troops(from a safe distance). Sry, almost no sound.

With a little experience I created this in about an hour. You can also create more realistic scenarios but I think more boom is better.

I can tell you that it's the best game I've bought in years(I'm a casual TF2 player, or ex player after this game changed my gaming life) and it holds all promises as far as immersive hardcore gameplay is concerned. The worst thing(s) this game could do to you is radically change your taste in fps' forever, or drive you insane with bugs(I haven't experienced any of the latter.)

Some of the features are...

- Expandeabillity and a large modding Community. It´s comparatively easy to make content for this game, and there are tools provided by BIS to help put community generated content into the game.

- Virtually capless multiplayer, only limited in dimensions by the group limit (65 groups with 24 men each max, I think) and Server power.

- Abillity to use all Vehicles in the game, Tanks, Cars, Helicopters, Boats and Jets.

- Abillity to use all weapons and equipment in the game.

- By default, over 70 vehicles, and about as many guns.

- A dedication to realism. The game is about at the edge of what´s possible while still remaining a game. Some mods push the envelope even further.

- Large, expansive and detailed maps. Chernarus for example is 255 km² full of rolling hills, large forests, small villages and moderately sized towns.

- Large amount of Community made maps, missions and campaigns on top of existing game content. A lot of these require mods, which can be a fuss, but it´s usually worth the effort collecting these.

Etc etc etc. In short, this game is MUCH more expansive than what is on the game DVD.

Downsides are, for example, the clunky controls, the overly complicated command system, possibly bad performance, sometimes unreliable AI and the occasional flying tank. In general not enough to even begin turning down the positive sides of the game.

Hope this was at least a little bit helpful

One aspect of this game that made it for me was joining a Realism Unit and playing as part of a team. Talk about immersion, WOW:D

Check out the Squads and Fanpages:

http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90

My unit holds regular combined arms exercises and training events every month and we are working toward a deployment to a progressive campaign. Check some of them out for yourself you may find a group that fits your schedule.

I found that ARMA2, modded with fantastic addons like ACE2 and sound and effects mods plus playing as part of a team that takes military sims seriously has fulfilled a life long quest for a realistic war game experience that you wont find with most, if not all the other, FPS out there.:cool:

join a clan/team/group etc.

fun & organisation & teamwork increases 10 fold.

the occasional flying tank

Hope this was at least a little bit helpful

I still haven't managed to get this yet, but I assure you that when I do, I won't consider it a downside :)