Sign in to follow this  
TSgt DiVietro

Helicopter scenerios

Are there any missions out there that would be a "training scenerio" for insertion and extraction or search and rescue? Here's what im looking for, 2 HH-60 crews/with gunners and para rescue squads in each chopper. The 2 choppers would have to land and extract (injured personell/retreating squads,like 9 line medevac, at a smoke signal loctation) with enemy in the immediate LZ taking pop shots at the choppers (small arms fire like in afganistan). This would be beneficial to real world chopper crews and gunners. Basically the landing chopper would put the gun sides toward the enemy, and the other chopper would make high speed circling maneuvers laying down lead on the muzzle flashes on the ground trying to hit the chopper in the LZ. Then extract the people and get back to base? Does anyone know of these types of missions? Or is there a group that practices this sort of thing?

Mike

I've actually made two rudimentary missions like this. Extracting refugees in Chernarus and Panthera.

Of course, I don't know anything about triggers, so you just play it, follow the waypoints, then quit when you've "won." It's designed to be played while flying 'nap of the earth' at treetop height, but it's pretty much impossible to place AA guns that will only hit you at 50m and higher, so it's not really an enforced limit.

Being a flight simulation nut and being tired of gunships it would be nice to see more helicopter missions involving troop transport,supplies,etc.I'd make em if I knew how and it would certainly help out the MP community if we had more of em to train pilots.

I've tried to make a few missions like this for my self but never have much luck. Some times instead of blowing stuff up I'd like to just pick up some troops from base or a hot LZ and then fly them some where and avoid getting into trouble. 30+ minutes of flying with no shots fired might not be most peoples idea of fun but it'd be like meditation for me.

I see a few of you guys understand what im talking about. I tried to make a mission in the mission editor like what i was talking about. But i can't figure out how to make the civilians i set for a med-evac to pop smoke when im near the location. Mine is really generic and not really good enough to simulate the real deal? Basically it would be pretty awesome if someone knows how to do the triggers and all that with a mission as described above, with random people needing picked up (don't know how to script or trigger it) Once you bring the person back to base then another call gets called in with a grid location. As you fly to that grid location about 1 mile away the person needing picked up will pop smoke (AI)(once again don't know how to trigger it). Then you could add on different pick ups with heavy enemy groupings in or near the LZ or light movement or just none. So as a Squad (pilot, co-pilot, door gunner, and flight engineer) in the chopper you would be picking up AI guys in random locations that keep popping up as a mission after every successful drop off or if you didn't get to the casaulty in time....recurring over and over. That would make for some awesome simulation....especially with 2 chopper crews one to give fly over support while the other extracts. Let me know what you think or if you can make it give it a whirl? Would be cool to have some near real chopper missions.

Perhaps better than having civilians throwing smoke grenades would be to have them light a smoky fire early on, or make the pilot look for a clearing full of the cars and tractors they used to get to the evac site.

even if you replace the civilians with some Para-Rescue troops or something? Or vary it up a bit? Anything really. Just it would be cool is all im saying to be able to simulate some of that stuff for some realistic like training?

Being a flight simulation nut and being tired of gunships it would be nice to see more helicopter missions involving troop transport,supplies,etc.I'd make em if I knew how and it would certainly help out the MP community if we had more of em to train pilots.

I like the sound of that! I'd like to either fly to a hot LZ and have AI gunners hose the place down, or be the door gunner while AI nicely orbits the zone. Go a bit easy on the crew who might otherwise be shot dead instantly through the canopy.

Yeah Greg thats what im talking about man, Or even have all human chopper crews...gunner on each side and a pilot with a few Pj's in to jump out and secure the landing site after the chopper sits down and the casualty or civilian or other squads board? Something realistic to whats going on in afganistan to help simulate the real deal....it would be fun to be the circling chopper up above to mow down whatever moves on the ground while the other chopper loads for the extraction! or even being the gunner on the extracting chopper. But thats all im saying man....something real and somthing that hasn't been made that i know of yet?

I could probably make a mission for you that does most of what you want minus the smoke popping. I don't know how to get AI or the map to do that. Also Sarge, check out www.15thmeu.net. I don't know how much you play ArmA but it's a USMC realism unit for ArmA and we do stuff like this sometimes. Plus we have plenty of guys familiar with the editor like myself who can do missions if you ask nice :)

Question for you DiVietro: Do you play with ACE?

Oh, Oh, the first scripting question that I can answer.

To have an AI pop smoke create two units on the map one a helicopter called RescueChopper the other a man called UnHappyCamper.

Create a trigger, it doesn't need an activation radius, set activation = None.

In the condition box of the trigger put

RescueChopper distance UnHappyCamper < 200;

In the On Act box put

Smoke = "SmokeShellRed" createvehicle position UnHappyCamper;

This will set of a smoke grenade at his feet, it doesn't play the throwing animation though, to do that you would need to use fire.

Adjust the 200 and names to whatever suits.

Good info man thanks for that, i'll have to play around with it to figure that out? never did any scripting before but i'll try it and see what happens....also never heard of ACE before....but after reading it and looking on the forums i'm guessing its a mission creator tool? Haven't strayed from the basic mission creator that comes standard with the sim.

ACE is a total gameplay conversion mod. It has no effect on the way you create missions as far as I know.

ACE is a total gameplay conversion mod. It has no effect on the way you create missions as far as I know.

Right. But you may want to test your missions while using ACE to be sure it's compatible. There are little AI changes that may have unexpected consequences.

Alright i created a mission similar to what i have asked for and with the script for smoke that actually worked! Thanks becubed! But this sounds dumb but how do i get a fireteam (that needs picked up) to load into the chopper once i land? They popped the smoke we're taking fire once on the ground but the stupid AI won't get in the chopper? Do i need to put a command line for when to load?

Give the AI a "GET IN" way point and give yourself a "LOAD" way point and synchronize the two. Put both way points were you're wanting to land.

Or put them in your squad and order them around directly. If they start very far away from you, they won't know where you are and they'll freeze.

This allows for more opportunities. I landed too hard under fire and wrecked my chopper, and was able to try and drive everyone out in a truck. We got massacred, of course, but it was one of the most awesome moments I've ever had in Arma.

Hey guys, I like the ideas. I want to make some missions like this. I'm familiar with having AI pop smoke etc. I'll post here if I come up with some things. My brother is also interested in looking for this kind of stuff, so I'll have a go at it.

I would like to see more missions with transporting supplies/troops, so maybe I can help contribute to this.

I gave the AI a get in and my chopper a load command and it works pretty good except the other chopper i set to do a protect or defend or something and synced it to me and it doesn't follow me once i take back off? Not sure how to make the AI chopper follow me on the way back without adding to my squad?

Consider controlling the chopper with High Command or something. It shouldn't be too hard to set it up for only a couple of units.

I gave the AI a get in and my chopper a load command and it works pretty good except the other chopper i set to do a protect or defend or something and synced it to me and it doesn't follow me once i take back off? Not sure how to make the AI chopper follow me on the way back without adding to my squad?

You will have to add it either to your squad or to high command. Instead of synching it with you(which will not do anything), just group it to you, which will add it to your squad.

Or do this:

Click "modules" on the right side of the screen in the editor. Then double click the ground near your helicopter.

Select High Command Subordinate module, then do it again and select High Command Commander module. Group the helicoptor you want to command to the subordinate module, then group the subordinate module to the commander module, THEN group the commander module to yourself. Then when in game press CTRL+SPACE and you will be able to give the helicoptor waypoints on the map. Once you give him a waypoint you can right click on it for more options.