Sign in to follow this  
LJF

Sharp textures - no smooth transitions.

arma22010030921201897.jpg

Anyone know why I get this happening? Only happens in some places on the map, deleting my layers folder and re-importing doesn't help.

1. Try deleting content of your temp folder (used with binpbo)

2. Do you experience this near map border?

3. Recheck resolution sizes of sat & mask images

Thanks man, I'll try that out tomorrow. So binpbo has an effect on visitor?

This was taken on the coast, but not really all that close to the map border, I get a similar thing happening on the transition between the "wet" sand and the "dry" sand, looks to be the same resolution as my sat/mask map.

My settings are as follows:

terrain grid size: 512x512

terrain cell size (meters): 10

terrain size (meters):5120x5120

satellite grid "current": 48

game, satellite segment: 12

then my texture layer "base" I have 40mx40m.

Just more evidence to support my sentient tools theory :D

Hi LJF

I've noticed this effect on a terrain or two as well...

How many ground textures do you have happening in that area? More than 4?

In my own case I'm beginning to suspect that when I see this on my map I'm exceeding the 4 textures per segment limit, or whatever it's called...

Despite BIS hype, I think the limit is still 4 textures... 5 or more and wierdnesses happen...

eg: I have an area with, say - rock, sand, grass and roadway gravel - when I add an area of trees with a "forest undergrowth" texture that's 5 - over the limit... at this point, one of the textures (and there seems to be some sort of preference or priority going on I haven't figured out yet, but which I suspect may have something to do with that mysterious "legend.png") will only "semi-show" - it will be like it's "greyed out" or shaded slightly - and it's associated clutter may or may not show up...

This effect is bound to the "textures per segment" issue, so its borders are limited by the "segment" borders...

In the example above... as you move further from the coast - still walking along the "greyed-out" forest floor - eventually you move into the next segment.... in this segment there's no sea - therefore no sand.... we drop a texture and suddenly the forest floor is as it should be.... That "suddenly" is an abrupt line - just like in your pic...

Just guessing...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Ok that's probably it, I didn't know much about this problem before but looking at my map that's probably the case.

maskmap.th.jpg

This shot was taken on the coast. you can see where that road comes out of the jungle, it's on the far east, the grey is the road and the yellow is my jungle. The grey cuts a line through the yellow and then continues on down to the beach.

Ok, my segment size is apparently 16 pixels, but there is easily 16 pixels to the nearest part that has more than 4 types. I'll try replacing two textures and see if that solves this (I'll only have 4 then so shouldn't get this ... in theory).

Do you have merged colours in there. If you "Count Colours" for the whole mask, how many different colours are there?

There are 6 in total.

I think it's the layers per segment. Six is too many. It might be a feature of BIS's ArmA 2 map, I don't know. I do know that I haven't had much luck with 6 layers per segment myself.. I'd say your problem is just further confirmation that the 4 --> 6 layer increase didn't happen or it's usage requires proper documentation.

Edited by dmitri