Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

Advanced Combat Environment (A.C.E.) 2 - v1.0 stable

Sorry if hat has been discussed here already (couldn't find the post if it was),

Since ACE, When I fire a weapon at an armored target, and there is a kill, very seldom I see it burnt down and really damaged. many times I see tanks or other soft targets that has been previously killed/destroyed burn or just smoke for a VERY short time and they look intact as if never hit. you have to get closer to the target and check that there is no menu (gear or other) to verify it's dead, even the textures hardly change if ever...

and I mean using heavy caliber weapons like 120 mm tank cannons on a BMP (HE or APFSDS).

All is installed well and I avoid using other addons that could mess it up.

If it is not blown to bits and pieces, it should, not in all but in many/more cases, be more apparent that the target is destroyed or damaged without having to "touch" it...

I know about destroyed tanks IRL that got hit by AP shell and just show entry and exit holes in them, and that was enough to kill the crew and the tank looked almost fine... but sometimes (more than not) it hit the ammo/fuel or just the pressure did the job and the tank got blasted, turret flew to the sky... In HE rounds it should happen more often and always show damage to the tank and ofcourse to soft targets!

what is wrong here??

Thanks

What's wrong appears to be that you've seen too many movies.

Also, where's this real life data that more AFVs than not explode spectacularly when hit?

Also also, HE rounds will do nada to the armour of a tank. HEAT will make a tiny hole, and HESH won't make much of a dent, either. Just plain old blast waves do very little to an armoured vehicle. (The crew, on the other hand, are usually less lucky.)

Yay Scubaman strikes back. :) Looking awesome. Thanks guys.

And yes, thank god for non exploding vehicles in ACE. Bloody hollywood has made into every persons head and altered the real life view of how things really work.

Also, where's this real life data that more AFVs than not explode spectacularly when hit?

Also also, HE rounds will do nada to the armour of a tank. HEAT will make a tiny hole, and HESH won't make much of a dent, either. Just plain old blast waves do very little to an armoured vehicle. (The crew, on the other hand, are usually less lucky.)

Well, not only movies , I don't like Hollywood style explosions as well,

But I have seen in my own eyes some tanks that got hit with AP and HEAT rounds.

what I say is that in game there is sometimes no indication a tank or other soft target was hit by a shell or RPG after the short smoke stopped, unless you get close to touch it,

I think there should be more evidence of hits on tanks and other soft targets at least to the naked eye, or when watching with a binocular, to prevent re attacking it.

And yes, sometimes tank turrets are blown off, I dont know if that could be animated in arma but randomly it could be nice.

nice related tank damage videos:

Explosive Reactive Armor

Bill2 destroying a tank

cheers

That's explained very well. In a nut shell basically.

I'm sure it's a work in progress but I find the armor destruction to be my favorite part of ACE. There are a few oddities, but they'll probably be fixed.

man that Bill2 vid was nasty I would not want to be in that tank.

I'm sure it's a work in progress but I find the armor destruction to be my favorite part of ACE. There are a few oddities, but they'll probably be fixed.

Yes it is WIP. At the moment we have no chance getting special damaged model for any kind of damage without making it from scratch.

We might add some (unrealistic) indication when an armored vehicles is disabled/destroyed.

But nevertheless we have lot of vehicles burning/smoking when hit. Only the most modern tanks do not blow up when ammo or engine is hit.

Try shooting a T-72A with an Abrams.

Yes it is WIP. At the moment we have no chance getting special damaged model for any kind of damage without making it from scratch.

We might add some (unrealistic) indication when an armored vehicles is disabled/destroyed.

But nevertheless we have lot of vehicles burning/smoking when hit. Only the most modern tanks do not blow up when ammo or engine is hit.

Good to hear that it's WIP Homer!

Can't tell you how much time and ammo I've wasted avoiding wrecks (that looked brand new) or shooting at them without knowing they are dead already...

About that T-72...well, nice bonfire there, seems it explodes on a fart.... :)

Is it that bad? looks like a BMP-3 is better armored....

More liberal application of the "dead" texture would be nice. I can blow up a T-72 and only see damage on the treads, with the texture flickering in and out with the draw distance. In vanilla it was more consistent.

I hit a T72 with a few (very few) AP rounds from a Bradley and it blew up like a roman candle. Same effect a sabot had on it. I actually said "holy shit" out loud when it went up. :)

Hey everyone i've been looking around the ACE site and thru this thread for the last little while, and i cannot seem to find out how to "Update" my misison code. I created a Mp mission for a couple buddies of mine, and it all worked fine until i updated on Monday, and now the Rucks and the on back features of ACE doens't work anymore. In another thread they adv me to read the doc in teh @ace folder which i did and only found teh version number and links to their site. i did download that Missionfixer.exe from there and ran it on the mission and it said that nothing needed to be fixed and closed out, so im at a loss as to what to do from here

Did ya check the Rucksack notes? http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Rucksacks

(Especially the API section with functions: http://dev-heaven.net/docs/ace/files/sys_ruck/fnc_PutWeaponOnBack-sqf.html)

If that doesn't help, please leave us a bug report with your arma2.rpt: http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Bug_Reporting

Edited by Sickboy

@woodstock21: First, is Stamina disabled?

Second, please create a support ticket as stated and I would also like to see the mission file. The ruck system underwent a few changes on Monday so it's worth looking into.

I hit a T72 with a few (very few) AP rounds from a Bradley and it blew up like a roman candle. Same effect a sabot had on it. I actually said "holy shit" out loud when it went up. :)

Bradley AP rounds are sabot.

By the way, must Arma launch itself when SixUpdater has downloaded a new build? I don't necessarily want to play that instant and even if I did, none of my mods or preferences are loaded with the game.

Bradley AP rounds are sabot.

Yeah, but 4 shouldn't have had that effect. Not complaining though, I'd have been dead otherwise.

By the way, must Arma launch itself when SixUpdater has downloaded a new build? I don't necessarily want to play that instant and even if I did, none of my mods or preferences are loaded with the game.

In the updater suite main menu above the execute button set action to intall or update.

Lugiahua: are you sure? Because tanks rarely explode in ACE2. My solely infantry squad neutralized Type99 with simple AT weapons and it even catch fire :)

Well, it returns fire at us...

I'm wondering if there is a list someplace of all the weapons that are going to be added to ACE, that'd be pretty nice to see. Someone mentioned not too long ago when I was ingame that the SCARs would be added.

Yeah, but 4 shouldn't have had that effect. Not complaining though, I'd have been dead otherwise.

I just shot my entire store of 25mm sabot at the front turret and hull of an empty T-72A, and nothing happened.

It took almost 70 rounds to immobilize and kill the crew by hitting the rear and hull. 140 had no visible effect on the rear turret.

However, a handful of shots to the side turret armor have immense effect. I made the crew bail out in just 3 shots. So there's your glitch.

Edited by maturin

25mm AP is nothing when you're fighting against tanks... That's what TOWs are for. IRL at least, and even with TOWs you're not supposed to use IFVs against tanks if you can help it. 20-50mm of armor and 400-600mm of armor is very different, not to mention IFVs are usually just steel/aluminum while tanks often use stronger materials.

Does anyone know if a change in status from Future to Maybe for a suggested mod is a good or bad thing?

Does anyone know if a change in status from Future to Maybe for a suggested mod is a good or bad thing?

As far as I know it's bad. Future is something to tackle after the current, pressing issues are resolved. Maybe means it could happen, but don't count on it.

Correct me if I'm wrong ACE devs..

EDIT: Yeah read above. I basically wrote the same thing.

Never post when just woken up.

Edited by Alex72