Sign in to follow this  
icewindo

Stalker Units 0.5a

I was majorly bummed out with how poorly Namalsk works with mods that make the AI really shine in urban combat.:

Namalsk have a lot of custom objects. The reason, why you are mostly seeing AIs operating better in BIS's buildings is because simply I did not have manpower to do all the things for every my objects so AI is really able to navigate through custom objects too. As I stated many times and prob on many places, Namalsk was a very test island for all kinds of stuff, it went from OFP (nearly arma 1 release though), to Arma 1 and to Arma 2 & OA. The different parts are actually made in different games. Some of buildings there are made by me back in OFP days (one of the first models for RV engine :D), some of them in Arma 1 and finally also in Arma 2. There are custom buildings, which actually do have AI support (paths), but as I said, I did not have manpower to go through all of them. It has also ultra terrible OFP terrain grid, which does not makes living for AI easier (I can't afford to change it because I would broke a LOT of objects positions, including underground, which took months to complete in our great Visitor 3). Also, when it came to the overall building design, I've been improving my modelling skills during the Namalsk development, again, it can be easily visible on buildings there (usability and overall look) and of course, there is again manpower, which unfortunately forced me usually to do only basic upgrades to the old models. There are other things to mention, like the overall objects settings, how AI is able to navigate through it, making believable vs ai capable, that is also challenge sometimes and my progress of it is also a bit showed on Namalsk. Don't forget also on the fact, that OFP and Arma series are more about outdoor than indoor simulations.

Namalsk have been glorious test island and I've learned so much about all the map making and object stuff during its development (not really talking about all the Namalsk Crisis stuff, which came with Namalsk). I was very happy, when I was finally able to start on the whole new project with experience gathered on Namalsk and Namalsk Crisis. Although you will never stop learning, this experience serves me very well :)

Anyway, creepy island with playable content stuff is coming, I may be able to show something hopefully soon (but it does not depends only on me though :))

Sorry for going a bit off :)

@Icewindo That is awesome you came back to these units, great update! ;)

To the factions stuff, I would probably put freedom on the west together with military, duty and monolith on east, independent stalkers together with scientists and the same scientists also for civilian side. But still it will be mission maker's fight, if he would want to involve in his mission all the factions with the correct stalker, should I say, diplomacy, between factions :)

Sorry for going a bit off :)

No need to apologize! I had NO idea that all of those objects were made over a combination of three different titles! And you're absolutely correct about Operation Flashpoint and the first ArmA being "outdoor-battles" type games. I never experienced AI doing anything even halfway well from the inside of structures in those titles. ArmaA II, with terrific mods such as GL4+SLX+ZeusAI (I forgot that one), really make a HUGE improvement to the game in regards to urban combat!

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh - I really wasn't trying to be. It's obvious from all of the statements that I made just how much I love the aesthetic appeal of Namalsk. It sounds like between what you've learned, and what you're creating now, that The Ultimate "creepy" island that's friendly to AI that use interiors is on its way to us. What a great and lasting testament it'll be to all things ArmA II. :bounce3:

I deeply admire your tenacity, and your willingness to lay bare here the general learning path that you went through. A valuable lesson for all of us, and I thank you for taking the time of informing us of your journey as an artist whose skills keep growing ever more remarkable with each new release.

Icewindo,

I'm thrilled to hear that you're still working on improving these units. You caught on just how loved these models are, and are willing to go the extra miles for us. THANK YOU for that! ;)

In regards to setting up the factions, if it's not too much trouble, it would be nice to have them all available in the Editor as "East, West" and "Independent," and here's why...

One reoccurring theme in the STALKER series are individual units abandoning the faction that they used to belong to. It's not like there are operational shopping centers located everywhere in the Zone, so these "derelicts" still wear the equipment of their former allegiances. To have every unit of every faction available as "East, West" and "Independent" would go a long way to helping those who use these in the Editor to much more easily setup such scenarios.

Combat in STALKER is pretty confusing, as from a distance it's common for one's allies to look like one's enemies, but that's also part of the series' "charm."

Before I go, it's going to be very nice to have these units be backpack-compatible. Thank you for that too.

The ArmA modding community is wonderful. Yes, indeed! :bounce3:

Battle-damaged, zombie-like versions...

Icewindo,

I've contributed to various STALKER mods over the past year or so, and I'd like to offer up some ideas your way, so that you could do with them whatever you like. I'm pretty confident that the proposals that I'm going to posit here are ones that would be highly valued by the community.

Here goes...

It would be great if we had variations of each available unit type in a battle-damaged state, with and without zombie-like features.

The battle damage could be a combination of rounds-received and animal attack:

---Lenses could be cracked, with the scientist's reflective face shield having a chunk or two cracked away from it (if it's two challenging to model a human eye peeking through a big enough gap, then maybe the top reflective veneer is cracked away in a jagged fashion)

---rounds/schrapnel could have been deflected away, with the surface fabric being torn and portions of the plate armor beneath being lightly shredded

---animal encounters could be conveyed by having cloth shredded wherever the creature's claws and/or fangs have previously struck

The value of these units is that one could use them as units that have just returned from an encounter, or they're too poor to properly maintain all of their equipment. They would fit in quite well with the your classic Post Apocalypse units (I've been using these units a lot, and I thank you for them). If possible, every variation would be available as "East, West" and "Independent."

You might be wondering why I didn't automatically state that they "should" have zombie features, and the reasons for that is to get as much mileage as possible from the meshes and their new skins. So, what could be some of the differences between a battle/creature damaged STALKER unit and a zombie-like one?

---The zombie-like STALKERS would have substantial damage from mildew and water damage, particularly on its feet, shins and buttocks.

---Their gear would be FILTHY, with clusters of dried mud resting in areas that would normally be well maintained to preserve the functioning of vital equipment.

---Creature damage would be far more extensive.

---Damage from received rounds would also be more extensive, with some rounds having pierced through the armor. Blood stains may be significantly larger from where they took their fatal wound when they were last alive.

---Blood stains, particularly around the hands, wrists, up to the forearms. Human handprints could be found on the zombie's shoulders, under its chin, and on either side of its head, as the human victim struggled to force the biting creature away. Not every zombie-STALKER would have to have these handprints, but having a few like this would really help convey a gruesome and tragic story.

---zombie faces, and other regions of exposed flesh, could be depicted in various stages of decomposition and putridity. Their teeth and gums would be significantly blackened, with perhaps bits of fresh flesh and blood clots still showing. Keep in mind that after a person is dead, that the blood settles on the lowest sides of a corpse's body. Assuming that it takes time for the zombie consciousness to come into full fruition, you could colorize its skin to show the posture the body was in when it fell - it would be particularly disturbing to see zombies whose faces are quite dark due to them having fallen face first onto the ground, then their blood settled towards the front of their face, and then they awakened as zombies. Yeah, this would be pretty ghoulish! The design would "tell" the story of its existence!

Of course, all of the above could be done to your awesome Post Apocalypse units as well. I know that I certainly wouldn't get upset about it! :bounce3:

And if you're up to adding some females, and zombie-like versions of them as well, that would help round out the lack of genders in our zombie world.

I hope that you find these ideas interesting, and even more importantly, inspiring. :) With the "zombie-craze" that's sweeping every video game title and every type of entertainment media, I'm completely confident that in your hands, these units would become much beloved instant classics. I wouldn't be surprised if Rocket himself gave you a call. If he does, remember, I'm your agent. :jump_clap:

@Sumrak

Thanks alot :)

@Kyle_K_ski

Glad you like my post apocalypse units, I'll see if I can add some of these stalker models to the next version, here's a quick texture I threw together (still with intact eye):

http://www.pixentral.com/pics/1eVpd8Wof2kJdAEcK20DQ8Nh8gYXo0.jpg

With a changed normalmap and some bullet impacts/better blood this would look pretty good.

Also I'll leave civilization end of the week for a norway trip to the middle of nowhere so don't worry if there'll not be much news. :wink_o:

With a changed normalmap and some bullet impacts/better blood this would look pretty good.

I can only imagine how true the above will be, especially in light of how solid this initial foray is! :)

These are going to look AWESOME - and become instant classics! These already look substantially better than the default zombies we got in STALKER SoC. When ArmA III comes out, people are going to be knocking on your door to convert these to it. :)

When these new infected/zombie skins are done for the STALKER units, you will definitely have to follow through with your Post Apocalypse units. That one with the white helmet is going to look FREAKY with cracked pieces missing from it, and dried and wet blood spattered allover its front-side.

When you come back from your Norway vacation, please consider adding more blood to the zombie's upper thighs - this is due to the gore that would drop from its mouth as it ate crouched next to the corpse of its victim.

Also consider adding dried up blood spatters as well - the ones that you have right now all look fairly fresh, and this is fine, but I would expect there to be signs of older blood on its gear as well.

Yes, we're going to have some pretty amazing units here...

I really like how you got the one lens busted completely out, and the other one's cracked. Such a disturbing sight already.

If it's at all possible, if a zombie unit has its eye(s) intact, could you add a "reflective-eye-effect" to the intact eyes? They would look a lot like the ones that we see in the following image of this dog I found: http://community.ashworthcollege.edu/groups/high-school/blog/2010/12/14/this-just-came-to-mind-why-do-dogs-eyes-glow-in-the-dark

I'm happy that you're willing to take a chance on my proposals and put the work in to make them a concrete reality. People are going to love these so much when they're done, that they'll want to be wearing aprons before they hug the zombies! :bounce3:

You still working on these units, Icewindo? I could give you some help, i converted the radiation suit model recently with the help of your mlods for selection references

1601uep.jpg

i could also do some others as well (seva suit, exo, gasmask mercenaries), What do you say?

Denton I think I have the same models as you. Basically about 2 dozen rigged and textured Stalker models in .max format if I'm not mistaken? I really want to make getting those models into Arma 2 a reality, especially with a project I am working on. Using a few texture tweaks, it is possible to get in almost every Stalker suit in the game with the model pack.

Denton I think I have the same models as you. Basically about 2 dozen rigged and textured Stalker models in .max format if I'm not mistaken? I really want to make getting those models into Arma 2 a reality, especially with a project I am working on. Using a few texture tweaks, it is possible to get in almost every Stalker suit in the game with the model pack.

I'm not sure, do you have the Clear Sky faction models? I don't.

Also, I've rigged the seva suit model now (still in early stages):

i522vn.jpg

Next is the exo-skeleton model.

Exoskeleton done as well:

25klret.jpg

Edited by DentonXVIII
update

I'm sorry I should have been clearer. I meant all of the Stalker suits in SOC. I unfortunately don't have clear sky, which again leads me to believe we've got the same sources. THe model pack I have has Exo suits (I have all textures), several different duty suits, seva suit, freedom seva suit, guardian of freedom suit, scientist suits, merc suits, bandits, a few military, rookie stalkers and a few NPCs. They all came rigged, UV'd and in .max format. Interestingly enough, the only ones I couldn't find were already ported into Arma (Sunrise suit, Wind of Freedom, Monolith Regular Suit). I haven't tried adding infantry to Arma so I'm curious whether the original Max rigging would carry over or if that needs to be redone in oxygen (assuming you're using the same models). Anyways your progress interests me so PM inbound.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/UrbanLT/StalkerUnitsPreview.png (719 kB)

All the units available in the model pack I have, minus the alternate textures I've added.

Edited by HkUrban

I'm sorry I should have been clearer. I meant all of the Stalker suits in SOC. I unfortunately don't have clear sky, which again leads me to believe we've got the same sources. THe model pack I have has Exo suits (I have all textures), several different duty suits, seva suit, freedom seva suit, guardian of freedom suit, scientist suits, merc suits, bandits, a few military, rookie stalkers and a few NPCs. They all came rigged, UV'd and in .max format. Interestingly enough, the only ones I couldn't find were already ported into Arma (Sunrise suit, Wind of Freedom, Monolith Regular Suit). I haven't tried adding infantry to Arma so I'm curious whether the original Max rigging would carry over or if that needs to be redone in oxygen (assuming you're using the same models). Anyways your progress interests me so PM inbound.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/UrbanLT/StalkerUnitsPreview.png (719 kB)

All the units available in the model pack I have, minus the alternate textures I've added.

So you're talking about the pack from gfxtra? I've seen that one before, but I don't have it.

I have quite a considerable amount of alternative textures for characters myself and it turns out I do have the Clear Sky faction models (CS-1 body armour, CS3a), within another folder. If you could, message me with a link to the alternative textures you found so I can compare them with the ones I have.

Anyways your progress interests me so PM inbound.

I've responded to your message, check your inbox.

It's good to see that the Stalker units weren't abandoned after all. The models may be a bit old but they still look badass (or maybe I just have a gas mask fetish). I always wanted to play as a mercenary.

Great units! I used them today with my stalker mission and they were amazing. Thanks :)

Thank you so much for converting these. Love these guys for post-apocaliptic scenarios! is it possible to converte the badass stalkers from Metro 2033?

Thank you so much for converting these. Love these guys for post-apocaliptic scenarios! is it possible to converte the badass stalkers from Metro 2033?

Metro 2033 models, perhaps, but I don't have that game so I can't get the models.

I have another update, Bandit Trenchcoat model is rigged, just a little issue to fix on his right arm.

au6v0p.jpg

I'll be making a new topic soon that includes a release for my converted models along with icewindos in a new stalker unit pack.

Before you go, may I ask the same dreaded question I asked Icewindo some time ago? :D Are those units OA backpacks compatible? :)

Metro 2033 models, perhaps, but I don't have that game so I can't get the models.

Developers of Metro 2033 also haven´t given an allround permission for hobby projects to use all their assets in non-profitable mods, like the awesome staff at GSC did ;)

Do these models still have the twisted arm and leg problem? I always found it to be very distracting and it made the units feel broken.

Well I fixed the arms for some units (see first post) by replacing the arms with ArmA2 arms (cheap fix but it worked :p ) and then add the stalker textures again but the twisting legs are one of the main reasons I called all released versions "alpha" so far.

@Denton

Maybe this Weighting Tutorial by StalkerGB will help in improving the anims, I never applied manual weighting to the models.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?114036-STALKERGB-s-Weighting-overview

Well I fixed the arms for some units (see first post) by replacing the arms with ArmA2 arms (cheap fix but it worked :p ) and then add the stalker textures again but the twisting legs are one of the main reasons I called all released versions "alpha" so far.

@Denton

Maybe this Weighting Tutorial by StalkerGB will help in improving the anims, I never applied manual weighting to the models.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?114036-STALKERGB-s-Weighting-overview

Overall, my converted models do have a few minor issues, but nothing serious. I'm already familiar with manual weighting and I've been doing it for each model so far and the results are good.

"Absolute horny MOD if you now a World Mod for Stalker makes perfect."

Hey up,

Aye, I'm keeping an eye on these mate, they look amazing.

I've JUST started a new island/landmass based ENTIRELY on the STALKER world, but it's at the very beginning right now.

I've got through a lot of simple assets already though, like barrels, fire barrels, signs and telephone poles etc, but for the next few weeks am busy with some rl stuff.

To give you an idea what I am planning, it's basically going to be an almost Chernarus sized map, with 100% custom made models and terrain and also my take on the STALKER scene.

Anyway, keep up with these conversions man- they're excellent! :D

It's been too long since I last visited here, and am I HAPPY to see that a flood of newly converted STALKER models are on their way to ArmA II ! :yay:

Yeah, I've got a BIG smile on my face, that's for sure.

Are these new units going to be backpack-friendly for the default ArmA II and ACE 2 systems?

meanmachine1, it sounds like you've got your hands full with a very ambitious STALKER-universe-related map - something that I'm sure everyone will be happy to receive with open arms. Since you mentioned that a lot of the models will be custom made, I hope that you don't mind me stating "the obvious"...

If at all possible, when it comes to buildings, make them very AI-friendly. One of the STALKER series' high-points is how well the AI in those games can transition from outdoors to indoors fighting. Many of the dilapidated buildings have significant portions of them readily exposed to the elements, so it always impressed me how well the AI can handle themselves in both realms. As you already know, ArmA II's AI struggles with CQC capabilities, so it might help if...

...the doorways, windows, crumbled holes, etc., were a little larger

...pathing was well executed

zorilya has been doing a SUPERB job with writing a script to really elevate ArmA II's AI for CQC - I wouldn't hesitate to get in touch with him, as he's very likely to have some pointers in regards to ensuring a superb response of ArmA II's AI to your new structures. His garrison script is here: http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=18669&d=0

I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve in regards to the new island.

Are you planning on having...

...extensive swamps, with flooded buildings rotting in their midst?

...elaborate underground research facilities (with flickering lights, and flooded portions, etc.)?

...mutants (including non-humanoid ones)?

...anomalies and blowouts?

So much STALKER-goodness is on its way!