Sign in to follow this  
cscuk

Alternative to keyboard & mouse input device?

I cannot play ArmA2 using the default devices. I found in control configuration you can configure extra hardware input devices, I tried a device that ArmA2 recognised as a "PS3/USB Controller" from "Big Ben" who do a PS3 controller very cheap that works also with PCs, but ArmA2 only allowed me to set variables axes x,y,z,w and these were only for look around and zoon forward, not much use. Does anyone know of any alternate controllers such as PC joysticks that ArmA2 recognises & which it allows you fully to configure? As for support, the publisher "505" doesn't answer so there is no support for this game. I have played OFP Dragon Rising, the only mission I have not so far completed is expansion pack "Uphill Struggle" because that mission keeps respawning dead PLA. All but 2 of the campaign missions in solo have been completed on hardcore. So basically I do know how to play these games, it is just that I need a decent input device. Thanks.

Why can't you play the game with mouse and keyboard?

Anyway, the 360 controller works.

Dragon Rising != ARMA 2 BTW.

So basically I do know how to play these games, it is just that I need a decent input device. Thanks.

*chortle*

:D

I think you'll find it's not too difficult to use an XBox controller or something similar as a "decent" input device. But unless all you're interested in is simple run about gameplay then you're going to run out of available buttons at some point.

Well there's always TrackIR that allows you to look around and VAC Software (Voice Activated Commands) that allow you to speak the keyboard commands to the game.

Unless you have a physical disability the precludes the use of the standard mouse/key board , I'd say learn to use them.:p as there are too many complex commands in ArmA2 for a console controller.

And as far as comparing your abilities in OFP-DR think of it this way..

OFP-DR = checkers

ArmA2 = Chess.

Edited by BeerHunter

Hi I love arma2 I use G7 2000dpi(anything higher i find get gitterish)

G15 Blue Back Light(Has 36 programable G Keys) and Tracker IR5(Amazing bring a hole new level to the game) but this is only for infantry.

Heli and planes I use My G25 wheel(only pedals) For the tail rotor Planes they operate the tail so as to straff

then i use my X52 Throttle housing only For Lift(helis) or Thruster(Planes)

G7 For pitch and roll(for both Helis Planes)

Tracker IR5 Head Movement(With Mandos This Really is where i spen 90% of my gamming time I love it

Viechals G25 Pedals (left Pedal= Slow , Middle Pedal=Stop , Right pedal=Fast Foward)

G7 Turn left+Right

Tracker IR5 Head Movement

like i said I love this game.

It is not the best way to play if you want to be the best at this game but if you are looking for game immersion and that connection to the game that you do not find with a mouse and keyboard then each of my toys have paid for them selfs 10 fold

I also know that these Toys come with a price and they are not affordable to everyone and i am not trying to boast I just trying to relay how good this game is if your lucky enought to be able to game with these toys but with all that aside I still could not do with out my mouse and keyboard.

I hope you find something that you feel comfortable with ;)

As said before, learn how to use the mouse and keyboard unless you physically can't. It is far superior to a gamepad for moving and shooting.

I personally don't know how anybody could use a gamepad for aiming...

Track IR is fantastic, I don't know if it's worth the price for only ARMAII but I have one from my flight simulators and it's nice to use in ARMAII also.

For driving I just use the keyboard, but for flying I use my flight sim setup, Full HOTAS, rudder pedals and all.

I can't type so in the heat of the action I'd rather be looking at the screen rather than finding the "R" button.

I'm pretty sure it takes some getting used to, I'll give the M& KB a try but it's good to know the controller is there.

I got the Saitek X52 Pro and started another thread cos it won't work in ArmA II. The reason for not using the keyboard and mouse is cos they are not at all natural and you want everything at your fingertips, if I ever get the x52 to work with ArmA II I can customise everything to suit me also. For Dragon Rising, the press says its underlying 'engine' is version 2 of mil sim software used in training aids in major armies around the world then that ArmA II uses a further developed version 3 engine. And yes I hope it is a much better sim than something that works on a playstation or xbox given amongst other things the rig it is on. I hear it is better as an effects simulator than as a platform simulator.

I use Joypad and Mouse instead of Keyboard and mouse, plenty buttons on both and I only even need the keys for chat. I use a Joystick for flying as well.

I had previously used the Joystick and Mouse but you develop what is called students elbow (caused by your arm constantly resting on the desk) from using it, pretty sore but doesn't occur using the joypad instead.

Always better to keep the mouse for your aiming though, nothing beats the accuracy.

The joypad has far more accurate analogue movement than a keyboard (obviously) so it you don't need hold to walk keys etc and creeping around is much easier.

I got the Saitek X52 Pro and started another thread cos it won't work in ArmA II. The reason for not using the keyboard and mouse is cos they are not at all natural and you want everything at your fingertips...

What? You're using keyboard with your elbow and tongue now? Maybe you should learn how to configure the controls?

For Dragon Rising, the press says its underlying 'engine' is version 2 of mil sim software used in training aids in major armies around the world

Haha oh wow. No.

OT:

For Dragon Rising, the press says its underlying 'engine' is version 2 of mil sim software used in training aids in major armies around the world then that ArmA II uses a further developed version 3 engine.

Dragon Rising actually uses engine from a racing game. :z:

Games using the EGO Engine

* Colin McRae: Dirt (2007).

* Race Driver: Grid (2008).

* Colin McRae: Dirt 2 (2009).

* F1 2009 (2009).

* Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising (2009).

* F1 2010 (2010).

* Dirt 3 (2010).

Can't you just install ArmA II to a RAID0 volume? I have a 6-disk volume for video editing and it allows processor to run at 100% capacity. Anyways, are you saying frame rate issues are mostly due to slow disk drive accesses in this game? If so I could maybe just reinstall to my RAID0 volume. By 'if so' I mean if it is verified.