Sign in to follow this  
Balistic

Landmass along eastern border of map

Hi

Spend some weeks on gathering info on mapmaking and experimenting.

When I load up my map in Visitor 3 I have a small white border to the east along the edge. When I put my map into the game, I have strange texture anomilies along this eastern edge of the map.

Is it not posible to have landmass along the easteren edge of the map, or should this be water??

I am making a map with almost only landmass.

Hi

Spend some weeks on gathering info on mapmaking and experimenting.

When I load up my map in Visitor 3 I have a small white border to the east along the edge. When I put my map into the game, I have strange texture anomilies along this eastern edge of the map.

Is it not posible to have landmass along the easteren edge of the map, or should this be water??

I am making a map with almost only landmass.

did you have a screenshot of this problem? could be a heightmap problem.

The edge is covered by water or is a terrain area?

Visitorborderline.jpg

IngameBorderline.jpg

The pictures above shows how the borderline looks in Visitor and in game (looking S). The Hightmap is 512, same as texture and satmap. But seems it does not fit in the Visitor screen (a bit too small).

Or maybe this is a texture problem?? Well, in the end it is.

How, do I get rid of that ugly borderline, between map and out of map??

(The edge should be terrain).

Well, that is a known "bug" in the editor. I tried getting around that with shifting my sat_lco, mask_lco.... without succes.

seems we just hav to live with it.

Ok, thx for answer. I will consider a coastline then. I can see on Cheranus, that the eastern part is also a coastline, this might be the reason.

i've had the same problem there. Resolved by placing a high hill on the side

Yup, known BIS "glitch", don't build anything on the border, keep at least 500m of sealine there, ground gets screwy :)

I get this too on the edges of the map where there's land (East and South edges)... the "endless terrain" stretches (literally) off into the distance - textured with my Sat_lco's "ocean floor" texture - even if it's land....

Note this is WITHOUT the actual Arma2 "infinite terrain" enabled in the island config!! If I enable that I DO get reasonably nicely rolling terrain infinately off into the distance - properly textured too... the problem is then that waaay towards the centre of my island where theres a big ocean bay - a big rectangular piece of ocean becomes completely invisible! - You can see right down to the ocean floor - as if a "tile" about 2 x 1km of "ocean surface" becomes invisible.... though you can swim or sail on it no probs..... always the exact same section of ocean too...

So - infinite land off - result as above...

Infinite land on - above issue (mostly) fixed, but ocean texture disappears in seemingly unconnected area elsewhere....

Haven't figured this one out at all yet..... I'll post a few pics sometime... I just abandoned the issue for now since... yes... I'm still laying roads... :(

B

Edited by Bushlurker

OK - here's those pics I promised... it's a wierd issue... suggestions welcome...

Here's the Eastern edge of my "island" - infinite terrain NOT enabled in config...

No_Infinite_land.jpg

For some reason it likes to use my satellite "ocean floor" texture...

Not particularly brilliant, but hey - infinite land is OFF...

Next I activate infinite land via the island config, like this...

class OutsideTerrain

{

satellite = "Bush\LFA14\Data\Bush_satout_co.paa";

enableTerrainSynth = 1;

class Layers

{

class Layer0

{

nopx = "Bush\LFA14\Data\Bush_trava1_detail_nopx.paa";

texture = "Bush\LFA14\Data\Bush_trava1_detail_co.paa";

};

};

};

binPBO log is about 5 lines long - no errors of any kind - no errors loading island either... the result looks like this...

infinite_land.jpg

Looking pretty good - it still sortof "stretches" the landscape a bit in certain places... seen other people griping about that... I'm not too worried actually - it's off the map - as long as it looks reasonably in tune with the main map thats OK - and it does! - it's picked up the basic trava texture (needs a wee colour tweak) but hey! - this is looking OK!

Sadly, there's a problem... elsewhere...

If I go to this area on the map... (marked in red)...

HoleInSeaMAP.jpg

Notice how this area is well away from the edge of the map - all is well over here - and this bit of the island is actually quite progressed and looks pretty good - when infinite land is OFF....

when it's ON, it does this...

holeinsea.jpg

Always in exactly the same spot... like a "tile" of sea surface missing... it's still there, boats float, soldiers swim, it foams at the edges... but the sea itself is missing...

Sometimes it's two or three adjacent "tiles", sometimes just this one.... but always right here in the middle of the map at this exact area...

Kinda wierd, huh?

Like I said, I'm sooo far off completing this island I just put the entire issue on hold to worry about later, but it's a puzzling one...

Infinite land = hole in sea - every time, same place... no errors loading, no errors in binarizing... no errors showing anywhere I can find...

Speculations welcome on this one!...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Ok, that is strange indeed, oceantile closer to middle of map, being affected by infinite land. Must be an engine bug.

Have you tried experimenting with the costal outline, or texture size?

Well, this happens when you put "landmass" near the map border (especially S and E part). Strange things happen then :)

Noticed that the river in Celle does the same thing...

I haven't made any further progress on this yet, though clearly it's something to do with infinite terrain, since "islands" aren't affected, and the sea in those areas is fine with it turned off...

Still in "suggestions welcome" mode with this one..... It seems such a fundamental problem that I was kinda vaguely hoping one of the Devs might drop by with a pearl of wisdom, as they occasionally do...

Maybe after they've finished with the upcoming Arrowhead panic.....

B

Edited by Bushlurker