Sign in to follow this  
$able

BattlEye GUID banning

You can now use BE to permanently or temporarily ban players from your server. The advantage over ArmA 2's PID banning is that the BE GUID cannot be hacked/changed client-side, therefore the only way for a player to get unbanned is to buy a new game/cd-key.

The following commands are available to manage GUID bans:

- loadBans - (Re)load the BE ban list from bans.txt.

- bans - Show a list of all BE server bans.

- ban [player #] [time in minutes] [reason] - Ban a player's BE GUID from the server. If time is not specified or 0, the ban will be permanent; if reason is not specified the player will be kicked with "Banned".

- addBan [GUID] [time in minutes] [reason] - Same as "ban", but allows to ban a player that is not currently on the server.

- removeBan [ban #] - Remove ban (get the ban # from the bans command).

BattlEye GUID and IP bans will now both be loaded from and saved to bans.txt (no longer guidbans.txt and ipbans.txt) in your server's BE working directory.

Newly BIKI page added http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BattlEye#GUID_banning

Edited by Dwarden
BIKi entry

Thanks $able, I wasn't aware of this, this should be stickied!

Great!

I understand this may be a touchy subject (and maybe not as easy as it sounds) but why not try to cordinate a community ban-list of known hackers GUID's that server admins can use if they want to?

Now the hard part is to make sure only true cheaters/hackers will be added to it and how to fairly administrate such a list... With fairly I mean there must be some kind of "proof" someone was cheating/hacking so players won't get added willy-nilly...

A possibility or maybe just a pipe-dream?

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

sorry if this is a dumb question; but is this used by the server admin in the chat line?

Like right now we use the #exec ban (player ID) command, but with battleye I'd use -ban (note the -) [player ID] [] (blank is forever?) [hacker] sort of layout? Or are these command lines done from somewhere else like my server admin panel?

The '-' is only used for listing here.

You can either enter them via BE RCon or in-game using "#beserver [command]" (if logged in as admin), for example "#beserver ban 11".

Also, keep in mind that the player # used here is the one listed by BE's "players" command.

Thanks $able, I'll give it a look today when I'm on my server.

Man I would love to see a community BAN list if it could be kept fair there are already some groups that the 10th works with that share Ban lists (Serf's being one of them) but a bigger list would at least help me keep an eye out for the dumb ones who don't change there name.Would love to catch some more of the ********* guys (the ones who use the hacks).Some times I feel like changing my name to ChefD The Hacker Hunter.

Cheer's ChefD

$able - I entered a guid to ban then saved the file, I then typed bans to see if it was there and it wasnt. The offending player had left the server but one of our admins got his GUID in a screenshot. I also confirmed it in the server log file. Does BE/server need to be restarted for the update to take effect?

Yes, I will add a command to load bans from a file at some point though.

Right now, you should rather do the following:

You can either enter them via BE RCon or in-game using "#beserver [command]" (if logged in as admin), for example "#beserver ban 11".

Also, keep in mind that the player # used here is the one listed by BE's "players" command.

Is there any way to slightly increace the time it takes for BE to update with the use of the BEconfig? It might reduce the need for high recources a little and prevent people with a lag spike to get kicked to soon

Hi $able

On the matter of central ban lists I am with you. The risk to anyone running such a centralised ban list is obvious.

However I pointed out a three part solution that could be enacted in either ArmA or idealy in BattlEye's Rcon:

1) BE Rcon gives the option to Private ban or PUBLIC BAN someone; PUBLIC BAN's are for cracking griefing etc. and are placed on a public web page belonging to that community BE Rcon provides the format for that page and has access as user BE RCon to alter the content of that page.

2) The Admins register that ban list page with a central server as part of RCon set up. This server does not contain bans, it is just an index server to the ban lists. It is a service, providing an index of ban lists, and not a ban list itself.

3) BE then synchronises the servers ban list on request to any PUBLIC BAN lists on the index, that a server admin trusts and has ticked as trusted, server admins are within their rights to do this.

Other suggested functionality:

a) The standard web page created by BE RCon set up, to allow public bans has either a message to say "Yah boo yay sucks to you because if your GUID is on here you are PUBLIC BANed and we cannot be bothered to discuss it with you" Or a link to forum section where the ban may be appealed that is added during the set up process.

b) Corresponding to a) all server admins have an option to filter out PUBLIC BANs that do not have an appeal process or where the appeal process is unreachable by the PUBLIC BAN list index server.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

I'd be for Walkers suggestion.

1. It then requires a server admin to decide whether or not he trusts another server admin's exported list of GUIDS
  2. It negates any legal obligations for Battleye in terms of slander etc
  3. It allows a publicly viewable list and an appeals process if the admin so wished.

Any other server admins want our GUID banlist feel free to contact me, I will pass them out gladly.

walker's suggestion could best be implemented by the community.

BE RCon can be used to monitor servers for BE violations. For example, many PB communities create their ban lists that way (using PB UCON).

Hi $able

In that case we need a single index thread where a link to each communities own list of public ban lists is maintained.

1) Each community admin posts a single link to the web page of their public ban list in the thread.

2) The thread starter maintains a copy of the links to each of those pages in the first post.

3) Moderators remove any posts that are not just a link to a communities public ban list.

4) Other server admins need to decide whether to trust the public ban lists of particular communities.

I would suggest such trust is based on:

a) Whether the community offers a facility to redress a public ban.

b) Personal contact with the admin.

c) General trust of ArmA community of creator of the ban list.

Such other factors as the ArmA community, the individual multiplayer communities and server admins see fit.

The person maintaining the index of ban list should be some one trusted by the community.

Subject to the acceptance of Placebo and the other moderators I suggest the thread is held as a sticky in the BIS MP forums.

Kind Regards walker

I would suggest that any bans making it onto this public list be backed up with a centrally held copy of the server console.log with each occurence of BE reported hacks.

This will also be the proof of actual detected hacks and also give the person/s administering the whole thing ip address info aswell, which could also come in handy down the line.

sign us up!

The SuicidESquad

Hi Wildgoose

There is no legal requirement for a server admin to give a reason for a ban. Though I agree it would help other admins to assess the vaidity of another servers banning process.

The index is not a central public ban list.

It is an index to ban lists. Not in and of itself a central public ban list. The thread itself will contain no ban lists.

Any server admin may ban who the heck they like; they do not even have to have a valid reason. They do not like your looks, name, haircolour are are all perfectly valid. It is after all the servers owners property. They decide who gets to play on it.

They are within their rights to make the web page with that ban list public, either to allow the person who is banned to appeal to the server admin or as part of that communities policy. That is justice being seen to be done.

And corresponding from the first paragraph any admin who follows the index to another admins ban list is perfectly free to choose to ban any one they want to. It is their server they can ban who they want.

Kind Regards walker

Hi Wildgoose

There is no legal requirement for a server admin to give a reason for a ban. Though I agree it would help other admins to assess the vaidity of another servers banning process.

The index is not a central public ban list.

It is an index to ban lists. Not in and of itself a central public ban list. The thread itself will contain no ban lists.

Any server admin may ban who the heck they like; they do not even have to have a valid reason. They do not like your looks, name, haircolour are are all perfectly valid. It is after all the servers owners property. They decide who gets to play on it.

They are within their rights to make the web page with that ban list public, either to allow the person who is banned to appeal to the server admin or as part of that communities policy. That is justice being seen to be done.

And corresponding from the first paragraph any admin who follows the index to another admins ban list is perfectly free to choose to ban any one they want to. It is their server they can ban who they want.

Kind Regards walker

Well im not really up for sharing any bans other than BE hack kicks, which become bans....Therefore the need to validate the BE kick in the server console.log.

Like you say its upto any server owners to decide themselves if they want to ban someone, but a sharing of BE hack kicks is beneficial to all servers.

I'd be up for this. I also think it should only include BE listings which are automatically generated and not to include admin generated bans which are decided on opinions or 3rd party points of view.

The ability to define a URL in the BE config for a bans.txt output would also be welcome to help automate this.

Is there any legality issues with posting the IP's on any such banlist?

$able, is there a way to enter a ban without the player being in the game at the time?

other than just editing the BE ban.txt

i dont have physical access to server and TCAdmin only likes me editing files if i shut the server down (thus ruining the game)

if i could just use the command and manually enter the ID that would be helpfull but it didnt seem to work i used

ban 'longbattleyenumber'

it didnt work, am i to assume that the player needs to be in the server for it to work?

$able, is there a way to enter a ban without the player being in the game at the time?

other than just editing the BE ban.txt

i dont have physical access to server and TCAdmin only likes me editing files if i shut the server down (thus ruining the game)

if i could just use the command and manually enter the ID that would be helpfull but it didnt seem to work i used

ban 'longbattleyenumber'

it didnt work, am i to assume that the player needs to be in the server for it to work?

It's not possible at the moment, but I will add support for this soon.

CAN ANY ONE HELP A NOOB OUT?

trying to get these commands working on our server, battleye enabled,#beclient players and guid works but if i type #beserver ban then number that is shown when u userlist it wont ban, is there something missing from what im doing? is there a file i need to add onto server so it works? ive seen beserver.cfg mentioned, i have no beserver.cfg in battleye folder on server, does that matter? if i need that what should beserver.cfg contain?

plz help had a hacker and can only ban by player id which i understand can be changed, guid cant.