Sign in to follow this  
canis lupus

Post-Apocalypse mod

Post-Apocalypse mod

My very first modding project for arma1 was the post-apocalypse mod, and I was thinking it was time to move it to arma2 now.

I started completely from scratch with the new mod, but it will basicly contain the same as the old one just new versions of them and ofcourse tons of new stuff I never got arround to do the last time.

at the moment I'm working on the four main parts:

Freedom Fighters, The new Order, Wasteland Warriors and objects

later I'll start working on a map, civilians and vehicles.

The Mod will be a semi-realistic post-apocalyptic world where men has destroyed the world and the survivours has turned on each other

The new order has gained alot of power and restored alot of the old technology and is more or less a fully working military organisation, the freedom fighters are the resistance movement fighting the new orders expanding regime.

in between them the wasteland warriors rule the large wastelands living as nomads and defend them selves against anyone they meet.

I won't be making monsters aliens or zombies because as I said this should be a mostly realistic mod, but ofcourse it can be mixed with whatever addons or mods you like.

I noticed my old freedom fighters were used in many different ways so I'll do everyone a favour by making all the addons, units, objects and so on stand-alone addons.

Some screenshots of the work done so far:

Freedom Fighters:

ff5i.jpg

ff3s.jpg

ff6b.jpg

The New Order:

new1uw.jpg

new4a.jpg

screenshots of I.E.D's objects and wasteland warriors are coming soon.

looks cool, always wanted something like that. GL on this work, man!

Excellent to hear you've moved your project to Arma2. I'm looking forward very much so to seeing such a concept in game :)

Awsome! Can't wait to see some rag-tag civies!

Mission ideas are already churning in my head. :wow_o:

thanks everyone..

not too sure what to make of the civilians just yet.. but I was thinking something like traveling looking for food and water with backpacks and ofcourse rag-tag, beaten and wounded etc.

mission ideas sounds good, I'm defenitly no mission maker so I'll leave this to all of you and its nice to hear that I can inspire ideas already...

Nice work so far. Great Idea also. These will go great with some zombie looking vehicles we got put away. Just on the back packs thing please leave them off so they work with the ACE mod stuff. Also make some with not hats or helmets.

I got tons of referance stuff if you need. Just drop me a PM and I will zip them up for you.

i'd suggest making textures for ash-covered ground, assuming its from a nuke - i'd assume so seeing as you have giger counters.

I'd also suggest making a more indepth backstory - the factions seem really juvenille and one-dimensional. For example, you call one side freedom fighters. Take into account all sides probably believe they're fighting for freedom and the greater good. Make the premise interesting and complex and the ideas will flow from it

mission ideas sounds good, I'm defenitly no mission maker so I'll leave this to all of you and its nice to hear that I can inspire ideas already...

Hey man, you know that I made a mission with these resistance fighters for Arma 1, do you? :D Look at my sig. I am porting it to Arma 2 slowly but so far some addons are missing.

The resistance fighters were absolutely awesome, alltough they had some bugs too. ;) So in this case it's great that you're beginning from the scratch.

But the appearance of them was just perfect! I was using them for a second mission (as the main role) but then Arma 2 came out and I stopped working on it, because the addons weren't there for A2.

It's really a surprise that you are porting them now, this is f*** great!! :yay::yay:

Btw. did you change your nickname? Because the guy who did this mod in A1 was agamoth (or am I wrong?).

Edited by Undeceived

Canislupus: great stuff. I'll be releasing post-apocalyptic map soon, so these units might be very cool for the mission makers.

@PROTOTYPE 001

I was thinking about some more specific apocalyptic looking backpacks and other sorts of equipment you might wan't to use in a situation like that.

But I can make two versions of the ones with backpacks so that they can use the ones from ACE aswell, and ofcourse some are not ment to have backpacks or anything not all should be travelers, I need some very sad looking ones to live in the areas occupied by the new order..

@HarryZhe

I was hoping that I in some way I can make everything look greyish on the map once I get to it.

as for the backstory its really up to the mission makers I just base all the models after that idea I'm sure alot of people will change that.

@Undeceived

I remember I was very new in all this back then and I was very happy to see that my units were actually used despite the many bugs.. I just wanted to start all over because my skills are alot better now and I wanted a more complete mod this time.

Yes I did change the nickname, I used to be Agamoth

@IceBreakr

that sounds brilliant it will take me a very long time to make a map, I don't know how yet, being the main problem, so a map that fits it all would let me release a beta at some point without everyone waiting for the map.

thanks again everyone, this is a huge project a lot to cover so please keep the suggestions comming

Edited by canis lupus

Very nice, I've had ideas about a post apocalyptic setting too, as I've liked Jericho (RIP) .

I recently released my ArmA1 port of my tomb addon ( http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=96205 ), the single models are very basic, but they form a structure quite nice. With new textures, e.g. rusty metal or broken concrete, the concept might be interesting for you. I might take a look at cgtextures and see what I can find.

Canis are you doing all this work by yourself? If you are im impressed with your dedication, i love the idea, and the units you've made so far look great! I take it your going to be doing some mad max style vehicles with parts either added or missing? Are you basing it on a certain country or will it be a fictional one?

Man those used to be my favorite units. I used to pick the freedom fighter with the trenchcoat and dufflebag. And my trusted m16.

Glad to see those are back. They'll work fine with Namalsk too!

Icewindo the tomb might make a great secret underground base for the freedom fighters or wasteland warriors..

yeah so far I have done everything myself.. but any help is welcome

there will be some different vehicles some custom made ones with added parts and such and then some more regular ones for the new order not sure what to make of those yet though..

I was thinking a fictional country it might be too hard for me to make a proper real location, it would be cool though and having some sort of well know land marks on the map.. so I won't rule it out completely yet

@canis lupus & Icewindo, if your looking for large ruined buildings for an island Im curently adding a some damage and ruined models to my stadium addon. planning to MP Beta test it in 3 weekends time before a full signed release, but will get some new pics of them up this week end. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you'll probably them well siuted to the theme, as they were giving me thoughts of post apocalyptic worlds while putting them together.

Ah very good idea, im feeling some Doomsday' 'esc' missions here :)

A ruined stadium seems like a very nice touch to a post-apocalyptic map that would be great.. would be a great idea for a market place or something inside it.. possible for rpg style missions.. I'll have to make some market booths aswell..

here's a couple of new screenshots

Wasteland warrior.. the first of them

ww1t.jpg

New order roadblock

chepoint.jpg

and one of the many improvised toys for the resistance

prophanebomb.jpg

Would be nice to see a big ruined city with some nice buildings you can get in. Maybe some anti-nuclear vaults and so on

I'm thinking more in the lines of a city like Pripyat damaged not by the blast but weathering and years without maintainence.. a ruind city after a nuclear blast would be quite hard to get right, so far my plan was to have two sides of the map that would look like the chernobyl area and then in the middle a wasteland where all the radiation really has destroyed everything.. and then to add just a little more "action" to it tons of leftovers from war.. and what I personally think will be the key to a really great map, objects that are signs of a previous life in the area and placed so it really looks like time just stopped at some point.

if you think about it, a realistic map of a city hit by a nuclear bomb would be quite scary but in the end boring, it would just be flat more or less..

Edited by canis lupus

I really like the sound of a ruined Stadium, it could easily be an area of interest as either a marketplace or serving as a base for a group. One thing I can say, if it is a football stadium then I'm sure you'll find a few loyal fans continuing to guard it ;)

I would imagine the setting as you do, not entirely bombed out but desolate and in partial ruins. You certainly won't find any tidy homes, but ones filled with bullet holes, etc.

@Undeceived

I remember I was very new in all this back then and I was very happy to see that my units were actually used despite the many bugs.. I just wanted to start all over because my skills are alot better now and I wanted a more complete mod this time.

Yes I did change the nickname, I used to be Agamoth

Great great! :) I'm looking forward to continue with my mission with the A2 addons then! :yay:

WOW!! This looks amazing!! I really jumped out of my seat seeing those guys. Awesome work! They look great. Cant wait to see more and a release some time in the future! :D

Fighting for fuel (trucks) might be fun in post-apocalypse world. Team owning gas controls the area with their vehicles ;)