Sign in to follow this  
Hboybowen

Physics based Destruction and SDKs

I know this topic was brought up in similar in a suggestion thread as a well"suggestion". But I want to discuss what it would take to create random physics based destruction in Arma 2. Now before others say it would be chaos I mean to implement it onto buildings and chosen objects in a more random and dynamic fashion where it is different each time you would redo it. I've seen how destruction plays out currently and as I see it seems to call on a damaged version of the model hit instead of physics based so I was wondering if since Ive seen the implementation of Teamspeak 3 SDK in ArmaTS. So I was wondering if a possible implementation of Havok Destruction in certain areas or NVIDIA PhysX SDK and how would one consider on implementing a sdk into Arma 2 is it similar to how they did with ArmaTS using the TS3 SDK?

Anything is possible if you believe.

I personally would love to see this.

Why?

Well its a bit silly when you blow up a pile of barrels with an RPG7 and only one of them flys away and the rest just stand there doing nothing.

Also for collisions it would help alot I think, would mean you couldnt flip a tank with a Motorbike lol!

If you are going to bother with physics-based damage, then why talk about it being random? Or do you want to impliment quantum mechanics? :butbut:

Besides, some mods already do use physics in calculating damage. If you want to have PhysX implimented vs physics there already is a thread for that.

If you are going to bother with physics-based damage, then why talk about it being random? Or do you want to impliment quantum mechanics? :butbut:

Besides, some mods already do use physics in calculating damage. If you want to have PhysX implimented vs physics there already is a thread for that.

Yes but that thread is just saying they would like to have it, while this thread is suggesting we actually do something about it ourselves , which I think is a good idea. As BIS won't do anything for us.

Edited by loosebruce

So I was wondering if a possible implementation of Havok Destruction in certain areas or NVIDIA PhysX SDK and how would one consider on implementing a sdk into Arma 2 is it similar to how they did with ArmaTS using the TS3 SDK?

No... not at all.

ArmA2 source code is not available. This is something only BIS could do, and even so it might not be feasable for them.

Yes but that thread is just saying they would like to have it, while this thread is suggesting we actually do something about it ourselves , which I think is a good idea. As BIS won't do anything for us.

What exactly do you want to do about it yourself?

Physical engine has to be integrated into the actual game engine, you obviously can't do that without access to its source code, which you don't have.

yea most likely so would anyone know since I hear that Arma 2 allows the use of DLL in mods(dont know the truth behind it just yet so dont poke at me..lol) so cant I call functions implemented in a Windows DLL to develop a extensions to 3rd party things...if this is possible that is?

The original posting was a confusing jumble of buzzwords, mixing up physics of damage with physX ( as in game animation ).

Selecting which part of vehicle/building/person is hit and how much to damage it based on weapon type, angle of shot, etc are all doable right now.

Having a GPU animate pieces flying off - that takes BI changing the game engine.

So this thread is either irrelevent or redundant. Pick one.

yea most likely so would anyone know since I hear that Arma 2 allows the use of DLL in mods(dont know the truth behind it just yet so dont poke at me..lol) so cant I call functions implemented in a Windows DLL to develop a extensions to 3rd party things...if this is possible that is?

And what "functions" would you want to call?

Havok (or any other such SDK) is not a plugin, you can't just inject it (that's what stuff like armalib uses) into the code and hope it will work.

well nvm this thread Ill just see what results I come up with because this thread is what I was trying to prevent because Im getting almost no constructive insite here..thanx for responding though..admin please close thread:bounce3:

You are getting constructive insight, I told you twice it is not possible.

Yep, improvements in physics would definitely be cool, while the graphics improved over OFP->ArmA->ArmA2, the physics have literally been the same since OFP. And 9 year old physics can't be good.

Modders can't do it, they will most definitely need access to binarized files.

well nvm this thread Ill just see what results I come up with because this thread is what I was trying to prevent because Im getting almost no constructive insite here..thanx for responding though..admin please close thread:bounce3:

You did get constructive insight.

For the record, having done some work with ODE in the past, I do not subscribe to the naysayer's sweeping blanket statements that this would never work. I instead refuse to rule out the possibility that utilizing another physics engine in parallel with ArmA2 to interface with / influence the ArmA physics, may actually work!

I've actually given this concept a lot of thought and think this is a very good idea to try and make happen. But it won't be easy. First I would suggest learning how to use a high quality physics engine like PhysX and play around with creating primative rigid bodies, composite objects, and joints, applying force, etc. To really make it interface with ArmA2 we'd need something like ArmaLib for Arma2 (with that C++ based data pipe). Otherwise write an interface utilizing the two clipboard commands (bi-directional with full acks) to pass data in real time. [btw - anyone any idea if a ArmaLib for Arma2 is in the works?]

Like I say, it's by no means simple and may not ever actually produce acceptable results, but it's far from impossible, and someone should start experimenting! :cool:

Or wait for Arma 5 (when BIS finally implements 2010 era physics... the rest of the gaming world having moved ahead ten or so years). :D

From my understanding of all computing you have the following:

Input ---> Process ---> Output

So in theory surely there must be a way to put some physics either around the process and manipulate the data? e.g

Input --> Physics Shell? ---> Process ---> Physics Shell? ---> Output

So in theory surely there must be a way to put some physics either around the process and manipulate the data? e.g

ok Ill check into this thnx

You can manupulate certain things like intercept render calls (which is by the way in itself quite hard already. But thats just intercepting output, manipulating it and substituting ur own output. U cant actually tell the game to do something different.

Edited by Soul_Assassin