Sign in to follow this  
hovmand

New island!

exactly - someone plz post a download location or something

or is this some elaborate April fools joke?-!GRGRGRgr

i want my giant sandpit damnit

Satchel those screenshots look mighty fine. What beast of a computer are you using?

For download you must register in phpnuke from ofp internals.

You need do that. How you are not logined, you can't download more files.

okay my bad. Little late last night when i posted that so i didnt read it too carefully.

Has anyone tried running off the edge of that map. lol its quite a lot of fun. I have also learned that AI can really be stupid alot of the time. I put a whole bunch of A10s at the edge of the map and lets just say they do not know when to pull up. One by one they smack into the wall.Boom!

Its actually quite funny to watch because your the only A10 that has enough brains to pull up. Try it. It can get quite fun.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MAsta KFC @ April 12 2002,19:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Satchel those screenshots look mighty fine. What beast of a computer are you using?<span id='postcolor'>

No beast at all Masta,

i´m using a Duron 1200, Geforce 3 TI 200 and 384MB Ram, OFP Detail cranked up to full, 1024x768x32 HW T&L, forced FSAA x2, forced anisotropic filtering level 4, LOD BIAS -1,2.

It all comes down to configuration of the system, there is alot of tweaking you can do to make games run faster or/and look better.

Some years ago i had to have the newest of the new available on the hardware market, but i smartened up and  stopped playing along the concept of the industry, because it´s ridiculous at what pace new equipment shows up, while having no real major breakthrough features- it´s all about the fast buck.

Take the Geforce 2 for example, it was hyped just like the G4 is hyped today, but the G2 was nothing more than a tuned Geforce 1- not really new technology features.

A Geforce 3 is more than sufficent for every game available- It doesn´t matter to me if a game runs constant with 24 fps or 200 fps, as you will hardly notice a difference anyway.

The system i currently have i will keep for at least till end of this year, probably longer.

Try RIVATUNER if you have Geforce based card, negative LOD, anisotropic filtering and FSAA are the options to play with.

Looks great. You can have huge battles without any system slow downs.

Shot with view distance 5000m:

041220024283091.jpg

Huge battle and view distance 5000m:

041220024283094.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Satchel @ April 12 2002,22:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OFP Detail cranked up to full, 1024x768x32 HW T&L, forced FSAA x2, forced anisotropic filtering level 4, LOD BIAS -1,2.<span id='postcolor'>

If i could put my lod on -1.5, would it necesarily be better than 1.2, and what does FSAA stand for, and what does it do.

Timmy a negative lod is better supposebly, FSAA means full screen anti aliasing I think so pretty much anti-aliasing.

well it's not the run-of-the-mill antialiasing (like sub-pixel interpolation and Wu's algo).

Actually, it doesn't have that much to do with traditional AA approaches, the end result is very similar though. What actually happens is that the 3D scene is rendered internally at a resolution several magnitude's bigger (1.5x to 4x), and then scaled down just before it's sent to the monitor.

This technique can also be performed without (full) hardware support, i.e. you can manually instruct your video card/CPU to render at a higher resolution and scale down, I actually do this with my Geforce256.

Needless to say, setting a higher resolution achieves much better results and is even faster!

hmmmm .... the island is great for the fun (huge hills and cliffs etc.....)

but not really for the mission .........

maybe with some objects on it it could be a great map for the missons

Ran,

Especially for you, I would think that some good Sinai missions could be squeezed out of this island. Food for thought. wink.gif

yes , but i'm waiting for the release of the tools (wrpedit or visitor ....we'll see) ......

this island is only a beta and a sample of the capacities of wrpedit .... i'm working on it to see if some textures changing and objects additions are possible , but the relief of this island is not really what i'm looking for .... i'll see

with enough patience (ok how about a hell of a lot of patience) someone could add villiages & roads and make a template out of them

i'm not exactly making a mission for it as i've never really had the patience to complete them, but i'm pretty much just plotting things down with gunslingers addon. so far i have a airstrip, 2 docks (1 with a few PBRs and 1 "supply" dock which is pretty much just a long flat dock that has room for trucks)

hell making a road (with bridge) from the mainland to a small island in the SW corner, making a lighthouse, and adding light to that lightouse took me well over 6 hours.

only problem so far is i have the date set on july 7th, i tried changing it to june 6th and the water keeps washing over the docks. oh well

i originally thought desert island wouldn't be good for missions, but i was proven wrong on more than a few occasions.

lol .. a template ....

simply editing the .wrp file and adding objects via a text editor

or whatever you call the ones that just have a bunch of buildings in to build the mission around

this desert map makes me dreaming of Arrakis...

I'm sure you could do some pretty cool Fremen vs Sardaukar battles on it (with a lasgun addon)

What I wish was for BIS to make it so that unofficial addons, new islands would be downloaded automatically as part of the Mission.

Rage_Frost - this won't be done anytime

Just think about a mission, using 30mb's of addons, played

by 10 people.

Now press ok to start the mission, and see ya next week

at the map screen wink.gif

Yeah, Dune. I wish they would evelvated it so there is absolutely no water. a true full capacity desert map. I don't like how they reduced the height integers by 900m.