Sign in to follow this  
Robin-Hood

Arma2 Tournament?

I've been looking for a while & have found a very limited number of tournament for Arma 2, all of which have very short battles on Sundays. I was wondering if there are any which run their battles on Saturdays as I haven't been able to find any except Charlie Foxtrot & it is a much more sensible day in my opinion. Also the battles seem very short ~3 hours etc. I come from 21CW a BF2 tournament which plays Saturdays for 12 hours. Is there anything similar for Arma 2?

Thanks

Mr. Hood

I've been looking for a while & have found a very limited number of tournament for Arma 2, all of which have very short battles on Sundays. I was wondering if there are any which run their battles on Saturdays as I haven't been able to find any except Charlie Foxtrot & it is a much more sensible day in my opinion. Also the battles seem very short ~3 hours etc. I come from 21CW a BF2 tournament which plays Saturdays for 12 hours. Is there anything similar for Arma 2?

Thanks

Mr. Hood

The reason is twofold.

Firstly, the number of players for 12hr battles simply isnt sustainable for 12hr battles. I play in 21CW (and 3 or 4 others from21CW play in Charlie Foxtrot also, whats your 21CW name?) and its very difficult to recreate that kind of interest. For example, usually arma II has around 1000 people playing at anyone time give or take. BF2, 5 years after realease still has over around 20,000 playing at anyone time. That gives you an indication of the numerical problems.

Secondly, is a matter of game mechanics. ArmA is built as a quasi-simulator. One of its most attractive features is the sheer scale of the terrain in play. Most groups like to make use of that terrain in a fairly dynamic way using perpetual battles, not Round Based battles such as 21CW. I say most, not all though. While most groups like an open battle field and a perpetual field to the battle, the game can not easily handle running the same mission for hours and hours. Yes you can do it but it becomes very unstable.

As a result most groups focus on quality, rather than quantity of game time. Most would also run for as long as their players would play too, but the general appeal of arma makes access to large player numbers extremely difficult.