Sign in to follow this  
Lucky44

Helicopters disappear from LHD decks...SOMEtimes???

This is the weirdest thing. Maybe I'm missing something; can anyone help?

I'm using the Utes map, and I'm putting a couple different helicopters on the Khe San's deck. I'm using

this setPos [getpos this select 0, getpos this select 1, #.#]

and changing the #.# depending on the type of aircraft I'm using so that they spawn at about the deck level (or slightly above).

If I, as as player, start nearby the LHD, I can see all the helos and everything's fine. And if I start in another helo, say 400 meters away, it still works. But the weird part is if I start more like 800 meters away, the helos will spawn, but SOME will just disappear a few seconds after spawning. (I think they're falling through the deck, but can't really tell.)

I've spent about 6 hours screwing with this trying to see what's going on. I've found that the UH-1Y will work fine, but the Cobra and Apache will disappear if I'm not keeping an eye on them.

What's going on here???

Hmm. No ideas? Would it help if I posted the file so people could look at it?

This is a pretty weird phenomena...might be interesting to an expert. ;)

Seems a little weird, but try setPosASL instead and see if that changes anything.

yeah it happens in GITS Evolution too - I set it so the pilot class spawns on the LHD, and sometimes the choppers just bounce off of the deck at spawn. It's just a bug in the game engine I think - where the physics just wig out - kinda like when you see the odd tank flying through the air or bouncing up and down after it respawns. I tried using

this engineon false; this setDammage 0; this setVelocity [0, 0, 0];

in the init line, to try and dampen the effect of returned momentum when it spawns, but it makes no odds.

Another factor is probably the LHD becoming solid slightly after the aircraft, meaning no matter how high you spawn the aircraft, the first time they spawn they will fall into the sea...

now if you script the spawn sequence it might help, but you'll still have the momentum glitch to deal with...

I've tried the SetPosASL too: same issue.

The weird thing is that it works fine if there's a player near it. But at a certain range, to the player, it doesn't work.

Yeh, I've see wierd issues like this in ArmA, like the model has no GEO Lod when its "beyond players view" (my semi-trailer truck stopped work).

At a guess I'd say its impossible to get around without maybe an ATTACHTO until a player comes near.

If the geo-lod wouldn't exist when the object isn't loaded into the memory that

would explaine it.

As a workaround you could try to start the mission with a quick blacked out screen

at that location showing that object - i do believe it would still be loaded into

mem even when blacked out. Then start with black in at players position a 0.5 secs

later or so.

~S~ CD