Sign in to follow this  
Flash Thunder

EAX feature support in OA?

BIS since you're supposedly rebuilding and remastering the sound engine department of the RV engine, are we also going to see support for EAX, and other highquality Audio features?

EAX- Environmental Audio Extensions

EAX 5.0 is present in Sound Blaster X-Fi sound cards (except the Xtreme Audio cards).

128 simultaneous voices processable in hardware and up to 4 effects on each

EAX Voice (processing of microphone input signal)

EAX PurePath (EAX Sound effects can originate from one speaker only)

Environment FlexiFX (four available effects slots per channel)

EAX MacroFX (realistic positional effects at close range)

Environment Occlusion (sound from adjacent environments can pass through walls)

Source: WIKI

Thank you so much for deciding on reworking the sound engine, Sound produces much more immersion than High polycount models and high res textures. One of the pluses on Dragon Rising was the superb sound for me.

Distant explosions with EAX will sound so damn good.

Goodluck and have a great weekend everybody.

Edited by Flash Thunder
added eax features

I hope so but it seems more like developers are avoiding Hardware based solutions now days to go for the software based. It's a pity as software based audio engines still have a long way to go.

I hope so but it seems more like developers are avoiding Hardware based solutions now days to go for the software based. It's a pity as software based audio engines still have a long way to go.

I noticed that too. rarely will you find openal stuff anymore or built in EAX support

The problem was that most crashes in games were cause by sound problems. dont know who to blame but its probably creative themselves..

now most game developers seem to have resorted to the piece of crap cpu based sound engines

All the valid pro-HW points put aside, the sound designers of BFBC2 did a pretty good (speak: badass) job on their SW engine.

I think everyone of us would love to have sounds like those in OA - but it won´t happen before hell freezes over :(

I´ve ripped the bfbc2 beta game files apart and found out that they´re not using any readable sound format at all, seems as if they´re getting processed as you play. The gun sound files in the beta weighed only 1.17 MB all together :O

Edited by Mr Burns