Sign in to follow this  
Sulu_03

Arma2TS

There is no One Ring of ArmA gameplay.

Quoted for brilliance.

OT: I can't wait to try this out. If I can just get TS3 to stop being a pain in ym arse first! :p

Do we know when we can expect this to be included in a ACE release?

TacticalGamer have adopted this addon entirely and with player numbers of 20+ are giving it a very robust test.

I've noticed that when playing with a larger amount of people, you'll tend to 'slip into' another person's net for about 30 seconds. You'll be talking on your own and all of a sudden will hear someone in a different squad/on a different frequency in your ear, you can't hear the comms of anyone close to you nor can anyone close to you hear you speaking on radio or normal chatter. This has happened to various people but only with larger player counts.

The new features lined up seem pretty damn cool but ironing out these kind of bugs especially with larger scale player numbers is something that I'd love to see.

To follow up with what cheese is saying, the developers of this mod should hop on the tacticalgamer.com forums and check out the posts. The system is standard there now, and hundreds of people have used it so far, 30+ during evenings. There is a lot of feedback on the forum.

P.S. I still want a dead man's switch.

I'm sure the method is slow since it uses clipboard to transfer data.

I don't know if there are other methods (pipe, socket) available.

We are playing in small teams. But I believe that current method may cause problems for large number of players.

However this mod deserves 'A2 Hall of Fame' title

Best regards

TacticalGamer have adopted this addon entirely and with player numbers of 20+ are giving it a very robust test.

I've noticed that when playing with a larger amount of people, you'll tend to 'slip into' another person's net for about 30 seconds. You'll be talking on your own and all of a sudden will hear someone in a different squad/on a different frequency in your ear, you can't hear the comms of anyone close to you nor can anyone close to you hear you speaking on radio or normal chatter. This has happened to various people but only with larger player counts.

The new features lined up seem pretty damn cool but ironing out these kind of bugs especially with larger scale player numbers is something that I'd love to see.

The 3rd Marine Division is in the same boat with our public servers and having all of our members and regular pubbers using it. Once in awhile we get this issue, but normally its more of a issue of certain people hearing random people constantly as if the mod is not even working. Again things are being rewritten by Nou and Rommel and us guys from the 3rdMD are doing what we can to assist to ensure things are realistic to whats game applicable.

I can properly say to the people asking when and if it will be in ACE. It will be done when its done, and it will be put if the ACE team wants it in. So just dont ask ;)

I'm sure the method is slow since it uses clipboard to transfer data.

I don't know if there are other methods (pipe, socket) available.

We know that, but actually there are only 2 ways to make the plugin and arma communicate:

Clipboard (very slow)

Pipe using dll injection (you are considered as a cheater if Battleye is running)

I personally don't have the competences to inject code into ArmA, and no armalib with ArmA2. But as we said in the first post, if someone know how to do it.... do it !

And wait for the ACE team addon, should work better than our addon. Working on a new plugin version too, should work better.

Thanks all for your reports, will help a lot !

Hello there,

hoppin by to congratulate you for this masterpiece which solves all voice comm Problems in ArmA. Well maybe except one thing:

Would it be possible to add a key that allows switching the channels without opening the dialogue? The Problem is that pilots loose control of their aircrafts while trying to switch channels through the dialogue.

What is your problem with the dll injection?

every code injection violate protection rules which cause that anti cheating program BattleEye will probably get it as cheating method making impossible to play on line on servers which require BattleEye protection.

I found one problem.

When player is hurt it cannot operate with radio. It's good until player has been hurt just while speaking on the radio. In that case broadcasting remains enabled (at least for hurt soldier). But should be cut off.

I think that depends on the wounds a soldier has... or at least it should be.

yes. I was seriously hurt being unable to to anything but creep.

Using hotkey to disable short range radio didn't work.

If we get into account how push to talk button works in reality, sending state should be cut off in that case. but I don't know if it is not a limitation of A2 it self

I'd say make a .dll file. I for one know that large clans who practice COOP generally don't use Battle eye, no need for cheating if you're doing an OP vs the AI...

Cheers again for this mod, and the support it's got so far! Hopefully a even better version comes out soon.

Batteries would be a nice accessory to the long range radio , with a bar on the radio gui indicating the power of the battery :)

i had a thought regarding long range radios

would it be possible to have a radius for the radio packs, say 2 meters, so that a SL can go up to his radioman and use the radio, just like it would be done in RL?

also, would it be possible to do the same with vehicles, to make a sort of mobile comms centre, i.e. if your playing a mission on a larger scale of 10+km, long range radios wont work. so instead have a mtvr set up someone in the middle that could be used to relay traffic?

I don't like how each radio is exclusive to the player, rather then the radio.

I think it is a little silly how 10 people can crowd around one radio and use 10 different frequencies.

It would be nice for radios that use a speaker (not headphones/earphone/etc) to emit the response be audible to players nearby.

In the future we plan to make radios independent of the players, and that includes standalone radios with speakers, and other devices. This also includes overhearing radio coms from other peoples radio headsets (if you are close enough).

Basically anything that can be used to broadcast a voice from TS3 will be its own independent object. Human, tactical radio, backpack radio, radio in the cab of a hmmv or truck or tank, all of them will be essentially considered the same thing to TS3 and they will be adjusted via parameters sent from the game.

Been working on RF propagation loss models, and I have something that is working pretty well now.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 PM ----------

On the DLL stuff, unless we can figure a really robust way to get any information in and out of ArmA2 then we will have to go with the clipboard method.

On the DLL stuff, unless we can figure a really robust way to get any information in and out of ArmA2 then we will have to go with the clipboard method.

I wonder if anybody has benchmarked the clipboard because given the next leg of the journey is over the net I'd have thought it was neither here nor there which method was used. Certainly I doubt it'd be worth falling foul of BattlEye though perhaps an exception could be negotiated there with $able.

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

I meant to ask, any plans to have the plug-in auto-connect to the server specified host so that this might truly replace VON in a public server scenario?

i had a thought regarding long range radios

would it be possible to have a radius for the radio packs, say 2 meters, so that a SL can go up to his radioman and use the radio, just like it would be done in RL?

It is implemented already for Long Range Radio but you have to use ACE2

If you have RTO in your team (radio-man with radio on his back), anyone can step behind him and use the long range radio.

also, would it be possible to do the same with vehicles, to make a sort of mobile comms centre, i.e. if your playing a mission on a larger scale of 10+km, long range radios wont work. so instead have a mtvr set up someone in the middle that could be used to relay traffic?

Do you mean relay short range radio? Because Long Range one should be enough for available worlds.

Edited by MaXyM

I meant to ask, any plans to have the plug-in auto-connect to the server specified host so that this might truly replace VON in a public server scenario?

I made it, look at the plugin documentation, now a mission or addon maker can easily do it. ;)

That was implemented in the first version I think. We have always been able to do that.

I made it, look at the plugin documentation, now a mission or addon maker can easily do it. ;)

I have just read, very good. Now might this be added to a server-side addon such that it is set by the server-op but without having to edit each mission?

I have a few questions for the authors, if they don't mind. I'm afraid I've only skimmed the 20+ pages of this thread, so I might have missed the answers.

The basis of my questions is that my squad mates have been reporting big increases in their CPU consumption will running this add-on and consequently a big decrease in game performance. I had a quick look at the add-on code to see if I could spot anything obvious. It left me with some questions. Please also bear in mind that although I'm a professional software engineer, I don't know the scripting language for ArmA and I don't develop C/C++ code using the windows APIs.

You talk of using the clipboard for communicating, is this a blocking action? ie. Can the game continue while the clipboard communication is ongoing, or does the game have to wait while this completes. If it does, I'm guessing that could be a cause of the slow down and we'll just have to live with it, I don't think code injection would be smart if it causes BattleEye kicks.

How often does the add-on poll the game for the current positions of nearby players? Can the user low the polling frequency if this is causing excessive slow down?

I believe the add-on does the maths for determining nearby players internally and sends to TS which players can hear a transmission at any given time. How efficient is the add-on scripting language? Would it be less resource intensive to dump the raw positioning data for all nearby players into a data package on the clip board and have C/C++ do the book-keeping/maths?

Feature request.

Sometimes we play missions RealTac Team vs Team (Opfor ,Blufor) with "Scenario Master",

Scenario Master is like "GOD", like narrator of everything what is in the mission, he does not fight, he is indepedent.

This person SM gives diferent tasks to the teams (opfor or blufor) and must hear at the same time Long Range conversation of both sides.

He must be able to answer separately to one side, or to both.

It would good to give oportunity to mission markers add special "LR radio" with ability to hear all set channels (in a2t are up to 5 chanels) in the same time.

Such person SM could choose which channels answer/speak to (or mark all channels, and speak to all).

Maybe could be done like this:

If the mission maker put in the mission unit named ScenarioMaster his LR Radio has such features.

Edited by Rafalski

In the future we plan to make radios independent of the players, and that includes standalone radios with speakers, and other devices. This also includes overhearing radio coms from other peoples radio headsets (if you are close enough).

Basically anything that can be used to broadcast a voice from TS3 will be its own independent object. Human, tactical radio, backpack radio, radio in the cab of a hmmv or truck or tank, all of them will be essentially considered the same thing to TS3 and they will be adjusted via parameters sent from the game.

Been working on RF propagation loss models, and I have something that is working pretty well now.

Simply outstanding!!! Absolutely no doubt about it! ;):eek:

On the DLL stuff, unless we can figure a really robust way to get any information in and out of ArmA2 then we will have to go with the clipboard method

Seeing this massive potential and the sheer lack of big improvements for built-in VON since OFP1 by BIS, shouldn't anyone of you open a feature-request ticket in the Arma2-CIS, so we can all vote for a better API?

I mean seriously, seeing again that the modding-community is providing the biggest improvements for the game, having this huge potential limited by a poor Arma2-API should be a no-go. :)

Again outstanding Job, i'm really looking forward to see this!