Sign in to follow this  
Kovah85

Retexturing a Force Recon unit?

Before I start I'd like to say that I've successfully retextured units before, this is not another HOW TO thread...

I'm trying to retexture a Force Recon Grenadier, I've edited about 6 textures for it now, and STILL some of the original texture is showing on the model in game. It's obvious that there is a texture file or two that I'm missing, but I've gone through the fr_scout2.p3d with a hex editor I don't even know how many times and I can't figure out what is left to be changed.

I have never run into this with any of the other units I've retex'd. They've all been pretty straightforward, but these FR units are being real bastards.

Someone out there must have done this before, and maybe I can get some help here...

EDIT:

One of these things just doesn't belong...

problem.jpg

Edited by Kovah85

I still can't figure this out... anyone have any ideas?

if you are referring to the brown smears they are designed to simulate dirt and as far as i know they are not specific to the FR models...i'm not sure where these decal textures are located but that is what they are.

Ahh... I never thought of that. Thanks a lot. This is a step in the right direction. Now that I know what I'm looking for I think I can figure it out.

EDIT:

Hm... maybe not. I just went through the entire .p3d file looking for all instances of .paa and couldn't find anything to do with this "mud effect". When I saw 'ca\data\env_land_co.paa' I got excited thinking I had found it, but when I opened it up, it appears to be some sort of reflection map or something and definitely not what I am looking for.

I think I just might abandon this unless someone here has the answer that I am looking for.

Edited by Kovah85

I doubt that you will find the texture in the .p3d as i said it's not model specific its a dirt overlay texture that is probably applied in game as opposed to being hard coded with the .p3d...either way i havent found a way to disable it myself.

Ah I see, and yes I understood what you said about it not being model specific, I just figured as it was used on the model it would be referenced in the .p3d file, I didn't think of it as being an effect applied in game. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah the brown mud spats on the FR dudes must be added with the game, and only to those models. It's a nice touch imo.

The odd thing is that the effect is still applied even though the model name has been completely changed. I'm not sure how this works, haha.