Sign in to follow this  
Rayers12

US Army HMMWV program is dead.

This truly makes 2010 the end of an era for both the civilian and military versions of the Hummer. The U.S. Army announced earlier this month that it would no longer order Humvees, and would instead turn to the armored MRAPs that have proven more resistant to roadside bombs in Iraq and Afghanistan. But the Army still plans to keep its existing Humvees in service, according to DOD Buzz -http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2010-02/end-era-gm-will-close-hummer-brand

I hope that BI has started on making that MRAP model...

MRAPS are a stop gap vehicle. The Military, and for the matter, the US Army is still deciding which type of vehicle it wants. There are still guys that make policy that believe tanks and heavy vehicles is the way to go, while others want a more modular, highly mobile force of the wheeled variety.

It looks after some googling, that the MRAP will soon replace some of the Humvees. BI, an MRAP would be extremely cool and realistic when the Army goes to Takistan.

I hope that BI has started on making that MRAP model...
Its a suggestion for OA not A2.
BI, an MRAP would be extremely cool and realistic when the Army goes to Takistan.

You should get that record cleaned, its got a big ole scratch in it :j:

And: US Army != US Marines which is what A2 is about after all.

What is that supposed to mean? Both services use almost the same vehicles when mounting and dismounting.

The HMMWV served it's purpose, but good on 'em for scratching it. They really need an updated service vehicle. The HMMWV started as a nice lightweight replacement for the jeep, but in Iraq and Afghanistan it's taken on the role of a medium armored vehicle. My HMMWV in Iraq has so much armor and electronics piled in it, I needed a running start on hills, and the engine cut out if I turned the wheel to hard. (Not the most fun experience to make a turn in Iraq and have your engine die, and the electronics sap the batter power so quickly you can't restart the engine) Of course, I had the worst HMMWV in the team haha. There's so many models, I think they changed some around with bigger engines and more powerful alternators to compensate, but it's a lot of jury rigging to keep upgrading a vehicle like the HMMWV. I do feel bad for the mechanics in all the services that are going to have to maintain these HMMWVs for the next decade while parts become less and less available. They phased out the LVS years ago and before I left the Marines a few months ago it was still in wide use.

The MRAP is an improvement is an improvement as far as safety goes for soldiers and Marines, but a viable replacement vehicle that can handle the regular and small duties of a HMMWV would be a good investment by the U.S. Military. Whatever they decide to do to replace it though, I just hope it has more leg room and a turning radius better than the 25 feet or so the HMMWV had.

I've never operated an MRAP, I've only been and looked inside one. They were just coming into wider service in Iraq when I was deployed there. I've also never been to Afghanistan, but I know the HMMWV was and is in need of an overhaul, or replacement.

It will be funny to see when these wars are over where will they use all of these MRAPs :)

It will be funny to see when these wars are over where will they use all of these MRAPs :)

They'll just drive 'em to Iran for about a decade :p

Hi all

The HMMWV was to the Iraq war what the Huey was to Vietnam. With perhaps one exception the Huey was a reliable workhorse that was universally loved by the soldiers and airman that used it.

For Afghanistan the Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) whether it be British 6x6 Mastiffs and 4x4 Ridgeback or the US Variants the Cougar 4x4 and 6x6 look like being the signature vehicles of this debacle.

mastiff-at-school.jpg

Their competition is the light armored and heavy armed Mobility Weapon-Mounted Installation Kit (MWMIK) systems like the British Supacat Jackal.

LAND_MWMIK_Supacat_Weapons_lg.jpg

They are based on two differing theoretical solutions to the IED threat dependent on their roles. The MRAP concept of totally armoured slow moving low mobility but-able to stand up to mines, RPGs and gunfire. A suitable vehicle for close convoy protection and leading and for transporting troops.

For fast moving high mobility deep penetration, recon and convoy perimeter defense the MWMIK concept is one of mine protection from beneath with a v shaped bottom and crew seats away from heavy land rover type axles (they transmit blast) their mobility means in theory they spend more time off road and thus are less likely encounter an IED and then they use fire power and mobility to protect from guns and RPGs by the simple concept of killing them first.

These images give better indication of the V Shaped hull concept and the wheels designed to blast away from the crew area absorbing energy from the blast in the process, rather than transmiting it to them through their seats.

http://www.military-today.com/trucks/supacat_jackal_images.htm

Horses for courses as they say.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

The Cougar/Mastiff seems suitable for Iraq but i dont know if its mobility is all that great for Afghanistan. The MWMIK.. lets just say that a roadside bomb is not going to detonate exactly under the vehicle.. and i definetly wouldnt like to ride thru town sitting in one of those.

For Iraq its too late anyway, the soldiers kept being torn up, uparmored or not, i recall reading that 30% losses there were due to roadside bombs, not to mention all the injured.

The HMMWV is just a jeep.

Hi Heatseeker

Yes Bombs displaced to the side are more effective against the MWMIK but the concept of the vehicle is to not go where the IED is placed IE it drives off-road. Also part of of its protection is the fact it is used in combination with MRAP where the MRAP leads the convoy. Thus a pressure pad based trigger on a road is less useful against an MRAP if it is side of road.

Thus a command detonation is the only way to get it to work against an MWMIK that happens to be on a road. Since jamming prevents radio/mobile telephone detonation and Infra red is short range; this means reliance on command line detonation exposing the trigger man to being spotted and easing spotting by UAV and air assets or mine clearance.

As I said the MRAP's key defense is to not drive in places where the enemy can pre-place a device.

We also come to the key factor in all effective counter insurgent operations that of accepting that their will be casualties.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker
grammar

How about some IED's ported over from VBS2 then?

We also come to the key factor in all effective counter insurgent operations that of accepting that their will be casualties.

Counter insurgent operations is not what i was refering to Walker.. im talking about doing town patrol town or simply driving from A to B.

I would never accept that, thats like sending a mouse towards a cat and hope the cat isnt hungry..

US Forces should simply buy the Dingo 2 ;) I spend the last two weeks screwing weapon mounts and hatches.

Edited by Beagle

US Forces should simply buy the Dingo 2 ;) I spend the last two weeks screwing weapon mounts and hatches.

How'd that work out for you?

/cheap shot

And we still have a ton of unarmored HMMWV.

Not being used in combat operations.

How about some IED's ported over from VBS2 then?

What?? :confused:

Well, A2 is a simulator. As IEDs are a big threat, shouldn't they be included in the A series?