Sign in to follow this  
Grizzle

WIP Director Movie/Camera addon

Will the new version have the ability to "freecam orbit" around your target? Being slaved to the automated orbit doesn't allow for good pictures etc. Other than that it's a great tool. I only wish my computer could handle the settings needed for good pictures. (I tried most things other than shadows on high with highest res last night. My video card drivers apparently failed.)

Will the new version have the ability to "freecam orbit" around your target? Being slaved to the automated orbit doesn't allow for good pictures etc. Other than that it's a great tool. I only wish my computer could handle the settings needed for good pictures. (I tried most things other than shadows on high with highest res last night. My video card drivers apparently failed.)

Yes. Using the new CREATE method you have full control over the camera and can set the specific rotation angle around the subject. Even though CREATE is intended for creating scripts, you can also use it to watch the action while moving the camera to your liking (though it will not automatically switch subjects) and snap screenshots using your favorite tool :)

I may post a short video demonstrating this once I publish the new release as it will also allow you to create offset subjects that aren't always centered and makes for some interesting shots.

Darkhorse - Here you go, a video showing you can use the Create mode to just mess around with the camera for screenshots or custom camera setup for recording with FRAPS etc.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGVMlJLx8JA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGVMlJLx8JA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm working on getting this released as I type this. Should be out soon.

---------- Post added at 05:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 AM ----------

Beta 0.2 Released!! See the first post for download.

PLEASE READ BELOW!

There may be some small bugs in this version and I have experienced some stuttering in certain situations so let me know if this happens to you (notably with Orbit and the SU-34 in some situations) though it tends to sort itself out after a short while. I think it has to do with the speed of the aircraft and Arma loading lots of textures.

As always PLEASE provide feedback so I can make this most useful and work as well as it can for those that use it, especially with the new features to create movie scripts.

Be sure to read the PDF file for instructions as there are currently some limitations that will be addressed in a new version. Here are the important excerpts:

Note: Due to lack of keyboard control when the mission type is set to Intro or Outro you will need to setup the objects while in the default Mission type and do all of your scene creation there. Once completed and the script has been saved, you can copy paste all of your objects to the Intro/Outro mission type for use in your missions. You will then edit an objects initialization section to execute the script you just created. If you have questions about this feel free to ask in the forum thread.

Due to the use of camPrepare commands which use interpolation to move the camera from one point to the next, using Create for scripting of camera movements on moving objects will not work as you expect. This will be addressed in the next version.

Note: There is currently no way to reload movies that you create. Once you exit Arma or switch missions all scene and movie data is lost!

Edited by Grizzle

This thing rocks! Thanks for this awesome tool and all of your hard work!

After playing around in director I thought of a few little things you could addon to this already amazing tool:

• When the camera is not attached to an object, I was wondering if you could add a focus adjust feature (it disables when in that mode)

• Also, when in detached camera mode, I have found times when I wish there was a tilt slider (similar to the direction slider) but on the "y-axis".

• It would also be neat to change the time acceleration for each scene snapshot.

You can beat me over the head with a stick if these features are already included (when in that specific mode). Lovely Addon! Keep up the great work! :yay:

This thing rocks! Thanks for this awesome tool and all of your hard work!

After playing around in director I thought of a few little things you could addon to this already amazing tool:

• When the camera is not attached to an object, I was wondering if you could add a focus adjust feature (it disables when in that mode)

Do you mean FOV? I do plan to do that but was having some trouble with it so put it off for later. The problem is that I don't use setTarget and FOV is disabled by the game engine when the camera doesn't have a real target. I have some ideas on how to implement it though.

I also plan on adding a focus/blur effect if that is really what you were referring to.

• Also, when in detached camera mode, I have found times when I wish there was a tilt slider (similar to the direction slider) but on the "y-axis".

Yes, another thing I was working on but having trouble with. Some of the camera commands just flat out don't work and that's one of them. I'll continue to search for a workarounds for both tilt and roll.

• It would also be neat to change the time acceleration for each scene snapshot.

I'll put that in the next release.

You can beat me over the head with a stick if these features are already included (when in that specific mode). Lovely Addon! Keep up the great work! :yay:

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. Very glad you enjoy it. As you play with it more and can think of other useful things, please mention them.

Edited by Grizzle

Did i understand this correct ?

If i dont use the .exe i will not be able to save the movies ?

So i can make them but never get them work in a mission without using the .exe to save them ?

Did i understand this correct ?

If i dont use the .exe i will not be able to save the movies ?

So i can make them but never get them work in a mission without using the .exe to save them ?

That is correct - if you want to be able to take the movie data you create and save it to an SQF file for use in a mission.

There are no arma scripting commands that allow saving of anything directly to a file (at least not that I have found anyway), so this uses the provided clipboard commands to copy the movie data to the windows clipboard. All that the FinalCut.exe does is monitor the windows clipboard for data and provide you with the means to save it out to a file.

Do you have some sort of concern with the .exe that I can answer for you?

Edited by Grizzle

извините. не могу вызвать меню камеры. в меню дейÑтвий нет директора. как Ñто иÑправить? или что Ñ Ð´ÐµÐ»Ð°ÑŽ не правильно?

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

sorry. I can not bring the camera's menu. menu action is not the director. how to fix this? or what am I doing wrong?

извините. не могу вызвать меню камеры. в меню дейÑтвий нет директора. как Ñто иÑправить? или что Ñ Ð´ÐµÐ»Ð°ÑŽ не правильно?

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

sorry. I can not bring the camera's menu. menu action is not the director. how to fix this? or what am I doing wrong?

Sounds like it is not installed properly. Do you get any errors when loading the editor or launching a mission?

Are you familiar with installing mods and addons?

there are not any errors not to be. is established

C: \ GAMES \ Bohemia Interactive \ @ GZL \ addons \ gzl_director.pbo

C: \ GAMES \ Bohemia Interactive \ userconfig \ GZL \ GZL_Director_config

"C: \ GAMES \ Bohemia Interactive \ arma2.exe"-mod = @ CBA-mod = @ ACE-mod = @ ACEX-mod = @ ACEX_SM-mod = @ ACEX_PLA-mod = @ sarmat-mod = @ zcommon-mod = @ o915-mod = @ RHS-mod = @ GZL

"C:\GAMES\Bohemia Interactive\arma2.exe"-mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_SM;@ACEX_PLA;@sarmat;@zcommon;@o915;@RHS;@GZL

That's how it should look

editor load the mission, choose the Actions menu, shake 0. not what not proishodit.pravilny my actions?

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

editor load the mission, choose the Actions menu, shake 0. not what happens. Am I doing?

---------- Post added at 11:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Please make a video on installing and running the addon. thanks.

Please make a video on installing and running the addon. thanks.

No need to do that. It's the same as any other Mod/AddOns. If you don't know how to install them via the "Mod folder method" then you need to search for yourself and figure that out. Hell there's probably multiple videos already that show/explain how to set-up AddOns/Mods using the proper method.

there are not any errors not to be. is established

C: \ GAMES \ Bohemia Interactive \ @ GZL \ addons \ gzl_director.pbo

C: \ GAMES \ Bohemia Interactive \ userconfig \ GZL \ GZL_Director_config

"C: \ GAMES \ Bohemia Interactive \ arma2.exe"-mod = @ CBA-mod = @ ACE-mod = @ ACEX-mod = @ ACEX_SM-mod = @ ACEX_PLA-mod = @ sarmat-mod = @ zcommon-mod = @ o915-mod = @ RHS-mod = @ GZL

"C:\GAMES\Bohemia Interactive\arma2.exe"-mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_SM;@ACEX_PLA;@sarmat;@zcommon;@o915;@RHS;@GZL

That's how it should look

Thanks Darkhorse.

demi - use the example provided above. Once in game, scroll the mouse wheel or hit '[' or ']' to bring up the action menu. These are the default key mappings so if you changed them, check your control options to see what has been mapped to 'Previous' and/or 'Next' and use those keys. You should then see Director listed in the action menu.

You only need to do this the first time you access the addon after launching ARMA2. Once it has been activated from the action menu, then you will be able to strike the 0 key on your numpad to bring up the dialog.

Bit of an odd one.....I've set up the mod folder as usual but it doesn't apparently load (no option in the action menu). More unusually when I include it in my Mod list (I use Alpinestars launcher) it seems to prevent any other Mods loading (ACE, GL4, Zeus AI, CAA1 and a number of islands / unit packs). I've tried running it alone and with a number of different combinations of mods, at various priorities in the list and its the same story every time. Any ideas?

Bit of an odd one.....I've set up the mod folder as usual but it doesn't apparently load (no option in the action menu). More unusually when I include it in my Mod list (I use Alpinestars launcher) it seems to prevent any other Mods loading (ACE, GL4, Zeus AI, CAA1 and a number of islands / unit packs). I've tried running it alone and with a number of different combinations of mods, at various priorities in the list and its the same story every time. Any ideas?

I dunno Joe. That is odd for sure, especially with it blocking other mods. What version of Arma2 are you running? Do you use the latest beta patch?

I can add some lines to show up in the arma log that may help track the problem down.

You may also want to try and execute it directly by placing the following line in a trigger or init field for a mission:

_result = execVM "\GZL_Director\GZL_Director_Init.sqf";

Cheers Grizzle. I run with the latest patch but not the Beta. Will try executing via trigger and from an init.sqf as you suggest and will then give you some feedback.

EDIT: Doh! Its always something simple isn't it! My issue was related to accidently putting a space in the title of the Mod Folder. With the erroneous blank now removed everything works fine. Thanks again for your help Grizzle and creating a wonderful tool for our use.

Edited by JoeAnorak
Feedback

How to remove a director able to enjoy all the players except one? Or to allow only civil?

Many thanks

A simply stunning mod.

Many thanks for this, it's very much appreciated... :)

How to remove a director able to enjoy all the players except one? Or to allow only civil?

Many thanks

Sorry, but I'm confused. Can you possibly rephrase the question?

----------

Update: Haven't had much time to work on this as of late, but I did get the tilt/roll (pitch/bank) working, only there's a catch. In order to have this capability generated in the camera scripts, the generated scripts need to move away from using the camPrepare statements which complicates the output of the script. It can be done, and I will do it, but it may take a little while.

Will also be adding the time accel to the create function as well. I plan to add a start accel and end accel value for each scene so you can start a scene at 1.0 and slow it down to 0.2 (or other value) over the duration of the scene (or just have the scene at a preset accel value). I think using two values will make for some cool effects rather than going from 1.0 to 0.2 immediately. :)

I've been looking into adding the post-processing effects (blur etc) as well, but I'm afraid it's going to require some fairly complex interface programming to pull it off (LOTS of options for setting up the effects.) I haven't decided whether or not I really want to tackle that just yet.

The next version will include the pitch/bank and accel functions. Cheers!

Edited by Grizzle

Sorry, but I'm confused. Can you possibly rephrase the question?

Sorry for my english

How to limit the action of Director? I need to use the Director could only 1 player (in multiplayer)

Sorry for my english

How to limit the action of Director? I need to use the Director could only 1 player (in multiplayer)

First, you need to know the name assigned to the player by the game. In the subject filter, deselect everything but MAN and the side the player is on (selected item color is white and deselected are gray.) The subject list will then contain only men/units from that side. Look for the name of the player and select it, you may need to scroll down the list to find him. Pick a camera scene from the scene list such as Follow Subject and click Action!. You may also want to set the scene duration value to 0 so it doesn't keep switching camera angles/scenes.

Let me know if that helps.

Edited by Grizzle