Sign in to follow this  
DnA

Armory feedback

Dear community,

As you are probably the most involved players of ArmA 2, I would like to ask you for any feedback you might have on the Armory mode. Your thoughts may prove valuable while improving this mode for future products and is very much welcome.

Feel free to criticize it, but please try to make your points by providing reasoning as well.

Thanks a lot for your time!

(For modders: I've finally posted documentation on configuring content for the Armory - http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Armory_configuration)

Hi!

Well, I can think of only a few problems I have with it and one suggestion.

The first problem is that the Armory doesn't work well with some islands. I am not on a computer with my ArmA2 right now but I am pretty sure that when I try to start Armory on a custom island there is a big chance I'll spawn in the middle of ocean. I also believe I spawn waaay too far away from the shore if I go for boat challenges on Utes (again, I'm not 100% sure and can't test it at the moment). I don't know whether it is the island designer's fault or the Armory fault, but there should be a check to prevent this from happening.

The second problem I encounter is that I can't complete some of the "Steal the item" challeneges, especially with planes. The plane sits on a runway, which is good, but the delivery point is somewhere in the ocean, which is bad.. (Utes)

And a suggestion - I would love to see some in-game Armory interface where it would be possible to choose a challange and/or modify some specific values to "increase" the challange.. pretty much like it is possible with the SpecOp module with a bit of scripting. Strength of the enemy forces, strength of the friendly forces (a few teammates/wingmen, possibly?) etc..

EDIT: I just checked the Armory documentation and it basically nullifies my first point.

Edited by Myshaak

I find that when you first load the armoury, or any item in it to be specific it goes into the "scene" mode to display the weapon/vehicle/aircraft. For me this takes a while to load so I'd prefer it to defualt to just the "Viewer" mode where you can rotate round the item as it loads alot faster. Haven't checked in a while so i might be saying something that isnt an issue anymore (or maybe I'm thinking of Arma1...)

Some of the challenges end-up getting boring (for example, shoot the disk). I would like to be able to deactivate specific challenges, or simply be able to start a specific challenge whenever I want, not just wait until the one I want shows up.

I don't know if it was me, but the animal hunting challenges were very difficult, due to the lack of preys (I could find a couple right at start, but then spent 10 minutes running around and not finding a single animal).

Heya loved the idea of the armoury, however some of the ideas above sound like they would defintaly improve game play, just so you can avoid gametypes you dont enjoy, although i do like the randomness :)

Also this might just be me but id love for everything to be unlocked just because err .. well im lazy :D but also so i can spend time experimenting with all the guns without spending too much time unlocking.

(I think it might just be me because i have problem with unlocking weapons with all games :mad::D i think maybe its me with the problem :rolleyes:??)

One small issue currently with Armoury heli challenges.

Currently a few challenges are get to this point or height, or speed within so many seconds. The problem can be you may be starting on the ground, and sometimes not even have the engine on yet. So by the time you gain enough RPM to take off 3/4 of the challenge time has already been wasted, making the challenge impossible to achieve.

I realise the user can decline the challenge, just seems a script check, perhaps for speed/ Rpm or something, within some heli challenges may make the armoury more slick and feel a bit smarter to the user.

Keep up the great work

Cheers

Gen

Is it possible to spawn enemy units in the near vicinity (possibly random of chosen from a list) to give some target practise?

Whenever Ive been in the armoury I just seem to be running around aimlessly until a challenge pops up, having the option to be able to spawn targets at will would be nice :)

I never used this mode , useless and not in the "spirit" of ARMA

this is correct for me.

i tested the armory but decided to make the stuff i want with the editor.

would be great if the armory missions could be imported in the editor easily so everybody could modify the conquest just the way they like them.

And for new islands he could place the markers at the right spot (assuming that ther would be some markers^^)

I didn't see much use in the armory, because all the weapons in there you can just get in the editor anyway, but I like the idea of the viewer thing where you can see all the weapons.

it's a good feature but as others say much can already be done in the editor, if you seriously want to practice with a weapon you can set up some suitable targets.

armoury will often propose "inappropriate" challenges, like skeet shooting with an RPG (if my memory serves correctly)

fun to try though :)

indeed, the assault course challenge proved impossible to complete when playing as a goat, i could not get up the ramp ;)

NOTDOABLE.jpg

Like many others apparently, I would also like to see a possibility to choose the type challenge you want to do. Often you want to try out something specific, and then it's just a boring waste of time waiting around until the right type of challenge pops up.

Other that that, I like the armory, it's a great way to test out new equipment and get some practice when you're a beginner first getting into the game, so less randomness and more tweakable settings would be nice.

Where do you find the challenges? I could never figure out how to unlock items in the armory. Also, what's the point if you have the mission editor?

Where do you find the challenges? I could never figure out how to unlock items in the armory. Also, what's the point if you have the mission editor?

Just get into the armory, and challenges will pop up automatically.

Sure, when you have played a while and learned the editor you can create your own challenges, but in the armory you can play immediately, even as a total beginner. Also, it's nice to not always know exactly what you're going to encounter, as you do when you place everything yourself in the editor.

I like the armory, but that may be because I'm new to the Arma series and it's a good way to introduce you to vehicles and equipment and not as comfortable with the editor. Plus unlocking equipment has more of an "accomplishment" feel than playing in the editor.

I agree with the others that we should pick the weapon and ALSO pick the challenge, rather than the latter popping up randomly. We could start with easy challenges then work our way up to harder ones.

EDIT: And let me say how great it is to see a developer post a topic like this, unlike some "other" game forums where you would never see a developer post or get any reaction.

Edited by andromedagalaxe

Being new to the game, the armory was a great help in getting used to everything and reasonably proficient.

I'd like an option to unlock all the weapons (I already know and use the cheat) because for me and I think many others, it's a utility, not part of the game. I just want access to anything I might run into in the game so I don't have to figure it out while under fire. :rolleyes:

I'd also agree on being able to edit what challenges are available and being able to have them immediately available instead of having to wait. Challenges like skeet shooting and obstacle course are interesting once, but that's about it.

A target range with .ai enemy and vehicles would be nice too.

Since I think it's mostly those new to ARMA that are using the armory, maybe some hints that you could disable, at the beginning of a challenge that would give you a little direction in completing it successfully. It's not just the weapons you learn how to use with the challenges, you learn how the game plays and enemy .ai behave.

Also, being able to turn challenges off completely, when flying it's annoying to have to continually refuse challenges if you just want some air time.

Edited by LugNut

Would say the missions should fit to the chosen weapon, vehicle or aircraft.

Try to steal a rifle flying with the Su-25 ;)

Its perhaps a good idea if the player can choose the mission eg:

vs infantry, vs vehicles, vs aircraft or weapon range/target area

Imho armory could be made for an overall impression and SP training/tutorial mission for specific things and additional infos (eg pro's/con's of weapon system or hints how to use stuff better).

Just get into the armory, and challenges will pop up automatically.

Sure, when you have played a while and learned the editor you can create your own challenges, but in the armory you can play immediately, even as a total beginner. Also, it's nice to not always know exactly what you're going to encounter, as you do when you place everything yourself in the editor.

When I open up the armor, I have a list of factions, object type, then object names.

Example: Blufor \ Vehicles \ SH60

When do I get challenge pop-ups? What do I need to do to get these, I'm quite interested.

In addition to being able to pick your challenges, I would like to see the option of immediately re-trying them if you fail.

When I open up the armor, I have a list of factions, object type, then object names.

Example: Blufor \ Vehicles \ SH60

When do I get challenge pop-ups? What do I need to do to get these, I'm quite interested.

They should be automatic. Just choose your vehicle and weapon, launch the level and wander around for about 1-2 minutes. you will get an incoming alert when a new challenge pops up.

I never used this mode , useless and not in the "spirit" of ARMA

ditto.

To give a bit more feedback I think it should be like this:

Armory:

This is an actual "armory". You can pick your gun (and/or soldier class etc) and before playing, see them in the viewer. It doesn't need to have scenery loaded as this is mega-slow (as has been stated) - there should be an option to turn it on/off and change scenery though.

Once the weapon and unit type is chosen, the player is dropped into an armory & a number of things are presented:

+ obstacle course

+ short distance range

+ medium distance range

+ long distance range (for snipers etc)

+ CQB area

+ grenade range

+ infantry combat generator/area

this provides the player the ultimate "weapon testing" area. They should be able to change weapon and unit on-the-fly to avoid needless delays

Garage:

This is a...well.... garage. Here, instead of choosing a weapon and unit, you experiment with land vehicles. Again, you should be able to see them in the viewer first and toggle scenery on/off etc. The view should include the vehicle specs like speed, ammo types, crew positions, random RL facts about it (weight, year of release etc just to make it more interesting)

the garage would include:

+ road course

+ off-road course

+ obstacle course

+ range

the above can all be with or without targets depending on what the user feels like. Of course you would expect all crew to spawn in the vehicle as well. The usual change-on-the-fly rules apply here as well.

Hanger:

This is where you test your flying skills

+ A-to-B training

+ aerial obstacle course

+ aerial combat

+ ground-to-air missle avoidance (countermeasures for OA)

+ FLIR training etc

+ laser target training (something is automatically lased for you and you have to hit it)

+ Free rome

- would be a good idea to have a random assortment of the above as well.

Again, you could see it in the viewer, which might include things like the specs of the aircraft, it's possible payloads/ammunitions variations, speed, weight, pitch, yaw etc.

Random Mission:

Couldn't really think of a name, but this would be the current armory where you basically go about doing random tasks.

Edited by cm.

I quite like the armoury just for flying around in planes & helos with nothing shooting at me to check out the scenery & practice my flying, or for having a play about with new additions to the vehicle list, especially with the ACE mod which has added bloody loads to it!

Sometimes I do the challenges for a bit of fun, namely the ones where i have to eliminate someone or attack a small camp, but im not really bothered about the ones where i have to reach a certain point or do a 180 degree turn etc

I completely agree with cm, that would be sweet. As for the missions, I imagine having some AI's around at this base/training camp, some grunts training, doing pushups and stuff (so you're not alone there... atmosphere) and specialiced officers where you can assign for the missions:

• Speznas officer or teamleader: survival training, hunting, behind enemy lines missions and stuff
  • Regular officers or teamleaders: ordinary missions
  • Crew or one of these services dudes: racing, vehicle missions, maybe two or more different dudes for non-combat/support, light and heavy vehicles
  • Pilot or just another officer: air missions

The idea is to walk to these guys and talk to them, then you may either choose a specific mission or get a random one assigned.

Second, I think it would be a lot nicer if you could choose to go on these missions with a team or even a squad, either as a grunt or as a leader. Right now you're always on your own, expect if you have a vehicle and the rest of the crew.

So I suggest to be able to pick one of the defined groups: at-team, sniper-team, recon-team and so on. Though the available missions then should be specific for these groups.

For example: after some practice at the fireing range, you walk up to the speznas officer and demand a behind-enemy-lines mission with you as a leader in a speznas group. Next, the speznas officer will assign you to your team and a transport vehicle, that will get you behind lines to your random mission.

Something like this would be a lot more in the spirit of ofp (operating from a well setup training base) and hopefully more fun too.

Plus (though already implied somewhat): more mission types: help another group defending some place, secure crash sites, patrols, convoys, ambushs, and many, many more. More roleplay/specialiced mission.

Another aspect would be to select less random, more "meaningful" places for the random missions: make use of selectBestPlaces, search for specific objects such as buildings with good interior to build a mission around it.. so everything feels a bit less artificial.

Ok, this would be a bit more than the idea of an "armory". But hey, it is already half there. :yay:

Edited by ruebe

I'm afraid I will have to disagree with the majority here. Armory against the ArmA spirit? Why? I find it to be a source of a harmless fun. Plus how do you think the new players will learn the action and basic rules of the game? They can try out different tactics of attacking the enemy, defending location or evading the enemy. You may learn the basics of handling weapons and vehicles in the boot camp, but without having played SP you'd be nothing but a cannon fodder in MP. Having shooting range in the Armory is fine, but I'm against the idea of turning it into one big weapon training course. The challenges are fun, they just need a bit more variety to it.. adjusting the force of the enemy would be my first suggestion.

What about

Armory = player testing all stuff out with a selection of challenges

SP Training/Tutorials = getting all basics of A2/OA combat

SP Missions = more advanced training where the player can try out different tactics

For Armory it would be good to see some selectable challenges like

Aircraft:

Air-to-Air

Air-to-Ground (against a group of vehicles+infantry)

Air-to-Ground (against a base with AA)

performing different air maneuvres (barrel roll, Immelmann, Pugachev's Cobra etc)

Vehicles:

Ground combat (against similar vehicles)

Ground combat (against 1-2 different groups incl. infantry)

Ground-to-Air combat

racing and vehicle testing challenges

Infantry:

Ground combat (against similar units)

Ground combat (against 1-2 different groups incl. vehicles)

Ground-to-Air combat

firing range with static and moving targets

Civilian:

getting a driving licence for all civilian vehicles

paper chase / fox and hounds

win the Grand World Racing Championship on Chernarus. Utes and Takistan

Animals:

Steal the chow eg for rabbits = carrot

Hunt or scare the soldiers