Sign in to follow this  
arb

Afghanistan Green Zone 10km Island WIP

all the trees almost added...

4401108641_ab72741a96_o.jpg

4401104833_6bcca9ef05_o.jpg

4401870318_6c2ba4495f_o.jpg

still a bit of work to do on the canal, but that can be left until last.

Looking fantastic, loving the terrain, seems like your checklist is ticking away :)

Looking boody awesome arb! Fast work! Any news on if your going to be using Opteryx's Afghan village/Avgani objects?

using Opteryx's objects is going to take ages to complete the island due having individual walls. Might have to look into getting some complete compounds made.

using Opteryx's objects is going to take ages to complete the island due having individual walls. Might have to look into getting some complete compounds made.

Sounds good mate! If it all goes wrong though at least you can use the OA objects when they come out :p

Wow really awesome, really awesome!!!!

After your "mapshift", will size stay the same or wil it become larger?

Is scale 1:1 like in Realworld?

same size, and 1:1 as far as I know.

Looks good so far, hopefully this can give us our Afghanistan fix in ArmA 2, especially since Opteryx didn't port his maps to ArmA 2. (Yes, I know there is CAA1 but I'm not interested in that mod).

Some of the areas still look a bit empty but I'm sure you can fill those up with buildings, walls and greenery.

When do you think it will be finished?

@Soldier2390 I think I know where our disagreement lies. From the sound of what you're saying the American military actually operate airccraft from the smaller Bases near the green zone, while I on the other hand have only knowledge of British bases and we only operate aircraft from KAF and Bastion.

So what might be best is a British style FOB with vehicle parking and one or two landing zones for supplies and troops to be dropped off, but with plenty of flat, unnocupied area around the FOB with the potential to add a large aircraft operating area and other extra zones to the base at your own will.

Some of the areas still look a bit empty but I'm sure you can fill those up with buildings, walls and greenery.

Still early stages, there will be buildings etc! it will be released whenever it gets finished, I have no idea when that will be.

same size, and 1:1 as far as I know.

Thats cool.

Ahh to bad no-one these days making the maps a bit bigger... so many awesome community made maps out there and in planning, but none of them are bigger than like 10x10km... :(:o

You have no plans nor joy in mabye upping it to 20x20km? Don't you? :D

I know theoretically this would mean 4 times to work, but if you would take the regions so, that there are many plain desert like areas, mountains (like in NicholasBell's awesome Arma1 Afghanistan map, which was done like in no time - at least it felt like that from outside), where just some bushes need to be placed, it won't be actually 4 times the work....

Sorry again, i'm not demanding anything from you nor do i try to force to convince you of something, i'm just so desperate when seeing all those awesome community-made maps (not even BIS own Arrowheads Afghan style map will offer this size) and still none of them would offer you the possibilities to properly equip, plan and use air-support, artillery support, proper logistics, and whatnot else.... :(

And yes, desperation was once also for me the mother to start something on my own...

In fact such a own island project and i tried to fiddle around with visitor3, the satellite data and whatnot else for weeks...

But i'm honest and this Program Visitor3 is so clumsy, cumbersome and whatnot that i dropped it, and so i remained in my thoughts with all you guys still doing this great island-work with this (sorry) "crap" program.

If there would be VBS2 Visitor4 for Arma2, i would have already started on working on a like 40x40km map, no matter if it would have taken 2 years to finalize it... but that way no sorry.....

To be honest this map doesnt need a Airfield we are talking about 10km map, and if your sat map doesnt include one dont do it, the Mavericks and Toffs will have to wait for a map that does.

on a other note arb looks fantastic mate keep it up and you dont need to listen to these people saying we need this, that and everything under the sun its your map!

:rolleyes:

I see alot of people trying to ask for things like airfields, camp bastion, loads of FOBS and PBs etc, but I think the map will be fine without any tbh. The more we ask for arb to change plans, build airfields, PBs etc then the longer its going to take. With regards to mr.g.c, its ok saying its going to be 4x the amount of work, but do you want to wait 4 times aslong? Think that it, lets say, will take arb 6 months to finish the 10X10km map, that mans that if he was to up it to 20X20, you will be waiting 2 years.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think it is best to let arb get on with the map, and stop asking him to change it. Its up to him, but i think that one map shift is enough. And lets face it why would you want camp bastion or an airfiled when you can just build one yoursef on the land outaside the map?

Just my thoughts on the last 4 pages.

Schancky

Edited by Schancky

:rolleyes:

I see alot of people trying to ask for things like airfields, camp bastion, loads of FOBS and PBs etc, but I think the map will be fine without any tbh. The more we ask for arb to change plans, build airfields, PBs etc then the longer its going to take. With regards to mr.g.c, its ok saying its going to be 4x the amount of work, but do you want to wait 4 times aslong? Think that it, lets say, will take arb 6 months to finish the 10X10km map, that mans that if he was to up it to 20X20, you will be waiting 2 years.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think it is best to let arb get on with the map, and stop asking him to change it. Its up to him, but i think that one map shift is enough. And lets face it why would you want camp bastion or an airfiled when you can just build one yoursef on the land outaside the map?

Just my thoughts on the last 4 pages.

Schancky

did start with the map larger, but then found for some reason I couldn't select objects in a certain area within Visitor so reduced the size, oh well. Also larger map means so much more work just to get the sat image... This island will have plenty of room for you guys to add your own airbases if you wish to have them.

It's really comin along specially from the first couple pics.

@Soldier2390 I think I know where our disagreement lies. From the sound of what you're saying the American military actually operate airccraft from the smaller Bases near the green zone, while I on the other hand have only knowledge of British bases and we only operate aircraft from KAF and Bastion.

So what might be best is a British style FOB with vehicle parking and one or two landing zones for supplies and troops to be dropped off, but with plenty of flat, unnocupied area around the FOB with the potential to add a large aircraft operating area and other extra zones to the base at your own will.

ahh yes thats a great idea, and we are definitly coming too a great agreement now..haha! i think our ideas and suggest togather could help better this project! btw you know alot..have you severed before? if not your could a make great war historian lol!

btw i think i meant that our u.s. aircraft operate in that area..sorry if i said they were stationed there i just meant they operate in that area..along with british and dutch..and this i get dircetly from my cusin! from what i know for sure is the smaller base can operate them but mostly as FARP's or other things of that nature..but they can atleast hold up to a few helos for sevecing if need be..may not look like a pretty sight but im sure the controlers know what there doing!

@Schancky im not trying to tell arb how to do his project! im simply giving my own personal thoughts and opinions only..too try to better the map for everyone and make it as real as posible! these are only suggestions, in which i give for as a idea on how to make it simple for everyone to get what he\her wants in regards to bases ect. and i may self even now realize an airbasee is too much, i just didnt realize the size of the map while making the suggestions..but no worrys bro i completly see your point aswell! ill stop if im becoming annoying to people! :)

Edited by soldier2390

Ah, come off it Tabber, Afghan Village and Avgani both lacked airfields, just a flat area in the corner where we can build a base up would be epic!

Warden's got the right idea.

Irregardless, looking forward to this map.

About the airfiled take into account that maybe just a helo base will be enough...

Planes should be available in bigger maps for some piloting pleasure

Ah, come off it Tabber, Afghan Village and Avgani both lacked airfields, just a flat area in the corner where we can build a base up would be epic!

I agree +1

whos tabber?

but yeah i see everyones point now, hince why i now agree with wardens idea now too, it was kinda what i was thinking after reviewing the facts and taking into account the size of the map!

This island will have plenty of room for you guys to add your own airbases if you wish to have them.

Should have read that earlier - excellent.

Don't mind Tabber, he knows who he is.

Should have read that earlier - excellent.

Don't mind Tabber, he knows who he is.

oh my bad bro thought ya meant me i was like..hmm iv been called alot of names but aleast this sounds nicer haha!

Tabber is probably a British Army's slang for full kit march (on the ground, no air transport) ;)

all Tree lines almost complete...

4404003102_6343051f1e_o.jpg

4404013246_06f3ec0df8_o.jpg

Edited by arb