Sign in to follow this  
arb

Afghanistan Green Zone 10km Island WIP

I'm with what soldier2390 said! and more pics!!! ahah jk jk

lol! hell yeah more pic's

@ebanks..hope to see some from you as well lol..would love to have multiple proper afghan type maps to play with!

Podagorsk has some reeds and tall grasses you might want to check out. Only other thing I can suggest is looking at other desert themed islands to look for matches.

Thanks, I think MaskMapper has come to the rescue, rather than using rvmats going to clusters of grass.

---------- Post added at 12:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

sorted I think, but could do with it in green... http://www.flickr.com/photos/13696146@N08/4370374190/

recolouring the clutter and veg is fairly easy, just takes a bit of fuss to get right...

Here's the same reeds in green...

(and if you look at the birch trees in the background you can just about make out that the one on the left has also been "summer greened" (insofar as birch trees ever actually go green)...

Loch_Ashie01_small.jpg

Remember also you can scale the clutter considerably, make it a bit taller if you like... plus clutter is less of a performance hit than actual veg objects (and easier to spread around :)

The one problem being that people can turn it off!! and then your landscape can look quite bare if you're relying on clutter...

Looking very impressive so far!!

B

Edited by Bushlurker

The one problem being that people can turn it off!! and then your landscape can look quite bare if you're relying on clutter...

Clutter also has gameplay issues even if the server sets the clutter to be enabled, especially with tall grass.

The tall grass will block the visuals of the player while the enemy at 100m distance will spot him easily, but the player won't be able to see the enemy.

The standard "sink in" terrain method was created for small grass, but not tall grass.

The standard "sink in" terrain method was created for small grass, but not tall grass.

Important point I didn't consider - I stand corrected! Actual plant objects required for viewblock, of course...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Those reeds you have selected look excellent Arb. This is now officially my most anticipated addon. What you have already looks great so keep up the good work.

Those reeds you have selected look excellent Arb. This is now officially my most anticipated addon. What you have already looks great so keep up the good work.

Ditto!! This is most definetly the most anticipated mod on my watch!! Cannot wait!!!!! :D

New grass texture done with thanks to a lot of help from Bushlurker.

might have to look into doing some poppies.

4372756254_b5b3b85b00_o.jpg

4372754794_8cfd221744_o.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

4372020231_a6c88ce2ab_o.jpg

Looking good arb!! Personally I prefered them brown to green, but that might just be me :P

That looks sweet that mate, shame some of the reeds have them funny corn cob things on top. You might be able to talk to Icebreaker about the middle eastern style buildings, Isla duala has quite a few and some sandy walls. He got them in game without having to use CAA1 or Opteryx's stuff so have a chat.

The lads who made Quesh Kibrul might be worth contacting as well bud.

You might also need to smooth them riverbanks a bit mate. The AI is going to have a field day getting stuck and going off swimming. Its gonner be worse than Panthera.

Awesome work mate.

Stag Out

That looks sweet that mate, shame some of the reeds have them funny corn cob things on top.

I think they are supposed to be like that, not sure what the english name for the plant is(danish = dunhammer). The tops should be brown though as they are on some of the previous pictures :)

Looking good!...

Not entirely sure about the "green tops" myself, tho... in the demo ones I sent you they have brown tops but green leaves - late summer colours...

Feel free to rip the textures out of my one to see how it was done - or even just use them...

Poppies sounds like a great idea! it's a locally distinctive plant associated with the area.... all that kind of thing adds real immersion, and it should be fairly easily do-able...

B

Edited by Bushlurker