Sign in to follow this  
Mysteryman5150

Infantry Stealth and Recognition Skills Mod

This is a mod I have created that simply allows the user to set the values for the AI stealth and reconition skills within the game.

Please note that the mod is currently running the vanilla settings and you must adjust to your own preferences;).

Infantry Stealth and Recognition Skills Mod v1.00

Links below:

Filefront

http://www.filefront.com/15612095/Inf%20Stealth%20and%20Recognition.7z

Armaholic

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9604

ADDON REQUIREMENTS: None

Description:

- This mod allows the user to adjust several specific AI variables that effect the stealth movement and recognition skills of the game.

- It comes with a file an HPP file that goes into the userconfig folder, which is where the adjustments are made (instructions are located in the file).

- Attributes that can be adjusted:

-Audible - How load a unit is when moving

-Camouflage - How easy a unit is to see

-Sensitivity - How well and how far the given unit senses other units

-SensitivityEar - How well can the given unit hear others units

- Units defined:

-All vanilla factions/units - Then broken down into 3 categories each (if required)

-Categories include:

-Basic Infantry units

-Snipers, spotters, marksmen, scouts and units with silenced weapons

-Launchers including AT, AA and RPG units

Fun testing results:

- With Audible at 0 enemy units cannot hear you at all, unless you fire a weapon, but can still see you (good for stealth adjustments).

- With Camouflage set to 0 enemy units cannot see you at all, unless you fire a weapon, but can hear you move (you can run around them in a circle, LOL)

- with both set at 0 enemy units cannot see nor hear you, once again unless you fire a weapon.

INSTALLATION: Extract the PBO file you find in the archive, and stick it the ArmA2\Addons folder, or the mod folder of your choice (Prefered way to install addons). Install the userconfig folder into your arma2 directory (if one does not exist then your just need to copy the userconfig folder in zip file). Run the game.

BUGS:

-None so far.

Notes:

- This addon may not work correctly with certain units when using the Zeus Spotting PBO as there are some values defined at the same level by both addons.

FIXES:

v1.00 -

- Initial release.

CREDITS:

BIS - For an game that both awesome and moddable.

Anyone who has helped me by answering questions or giving feedback.

As always the entire moding community- Without you all putting info out there and having your mods available for us this game would be a lot more empty.

As always have fun and I hope you enjoy it:).

Edited by Mysteryman5150

Glad to see it released, going to download and give it a test when I get the chance. Thank you!

Bink- Just so you know, I have not made any adjustments from the vanilla version. It is up to the user to set there own preferences at this point. Also if you get a chance try out the other 2 I have done;). They are based on the same concept of letting the user adjust the settings to their own preferences.

@Imperator Pete- I am ynsure about any MP issues. I have yet to play MP. Hopefully someone who tries the mod out will be able to reply.

I would really like to get some feedback going on the 3 mods I have released as the plan is to incorporate them into a larger mod I am working on:).

thanks guys. I am trying to decide if I would want to put all these concepts, as well as some others, into one big mod. The problem is do I go and leave them all tweakable by the user or do I try to come up with some permanent settings, more like an SLX or Zeus mod.

If I try to do some permanent settings I would really need people to post some test results so I could make tweaks that are appealing to the users in the community (that is why I leave it up to the user right now). I also know some people may not want to deal with making their own settings so that is my dilema:).

Let me know what you all think?;)

Edited by Mysteryman5150

I really like the idea of leaving the user config in there. Everybody will want it just a little bit different. Great addon

Hi,

Nice work.

But I always thought it would be more usefull to apply something like that on the detectability of an unit instead of his capacity to detect.

As an example, I would rather be able to decrease the visibilty of a specop or sniper according to his experience points (in a campaign) so its more difficult for the enemy to detect him (only applayable to this particular unit) than lowering the capacity of the enemy to detect all enemy units.

It would be nice if you would consider doing something in that direction.

Keep on the good work

Cheers

@ CIB2005- Thanks for the response. I more than likely will continue to have a user control file in my mods whenever possible:).

@ AliMag

As an example, I would rather be able to decrease the visibilty of a specop or sniper according to his experience points (in a campaign) so its more difficult for the enemy to detect him (only applayable to this particular unit) than lowering the capacity of the enemy to detect all enemy units.

You can set the snipers audible and camo settings in the HPP file in the userconfig folder. That would make that group less detectable for that particular faction. I could have broken it down into each individual unit but the userconfig file would have been extremely long :confused: so I decided to group some of the unit types together. I could extend the file and separate units selection some more if there were some demand for it, but if not then I probably will just leave it like it is.

I don't know for sure if that is what you are refering to. If not maybe if you give a bit more insight I could see what could be done;).

Edit- @AliMag-

(only applayable to this particular unit)
This may be possible through an init.sqf file or something of that nature, or in the editor using some sort of setVariable command in the unit init line. That would make it for that particular unit but only for that mission. I don't think you can do it for 1 particular unit without breaking a mission file open.

You can only break it down to a level of unit types (not individual units) without doing it in the mission editor, from my best knowledge. Maybe someone else can elaborate on this a bit more.

Edited by Mysteryman5150

The whole thing is a bit more complicated as this. If unit A is able to detect unit B is not only determined in the config settings like adible, camouflage and various sensitivity settings but also on units skill level, rank and probably some more variables, not to forget about weather and daytime and so on.

So i think that setting the default values to something like "one size fits all" to a specific groups like e.g. Snipers and then doing more individual skills by...well...skill settings is the best way to approach.

At least in a Army, units of one sort probably have passed the same trainings so theyr base level (settings adjusted by this mod) should be nearly on the same level. Sure, there are always some more equal than others but as said, a matter of skill.

At least, the settings define the probability, not more and not less.

I am trying to decide if I would want to put all these concepts, as well as some others, into one big mod. The problem is do I go and leave them all tweakable by the user or do I try to come up with some permanent settings, more like an SLX or Zeus mod.

Just to chime in quick with my 1 cent, as a dedicated host and mission maker, I would lean towards waiting to retain the user's ability to customize things. And perhaps in an effort to make it painless for people offer a couple different "pre-made setups" along with the current default .hpp file.

I like the concept, and agree with Myke on his points. Keep up the good work, I'll try to make some time to look at the MP over the weekend. Maybe get you some feedback ;)

Regards,

Gnome

Edited by Gnome_AS
duplication of information

Thanks Myke and Gnome. My thinking on this was very similar, in that setting an individual unit needs to be done in the editor or in an init.sqf file.

Just to chime in quick with my 1 cent, as a dedicated host and mission maker, I would lean towards waiting to retain the user's ability to customize things. And perhaps in an effort to make it painless for people offer a couple different "pre-made setups" along with the current default .hpp file.

If I understand correctly you are saying that the user controlled settings is the better idea but also maybe adding a few non adjustable pre-made setups, for simpler use and those who don't like to do tweaking themselves. If that is what you mean I was thinking of that. However, I have had a difficult time coming up with good variables that are realistic as I have no real life military experience to base my settings on.

This is the same problem I have had with all my mods and is the main reason I have left it up to the user to set them to their preferences. I would like to come up with some good settings and release an option that way so it would be usable for MP as well (altough it only affects AI abilities), as I don't think they could be used in MP the way they are. I may be wrong about this though, since I haven't played MP yet.

If I understand correctly you are saying that the user controlled settings is the better idea but also maybe adding a few non adjustable pre-made setups, for simpler use and those who don't like to do tweaking themselves. If that is what you mean I was thinking of that. However, I have had a difficult time coming up with good variables that are realistic as I have no real life military experience to base my settings on.

Yep thats the thought.

On the subject of real world vs. game world ... thats always a tough one to get a handle on. But then again, anything "opinion based" tends to be. And when talking about trying to sort out how to set something that is going to effect the overall gameplay feel in some manner ... well thats just that much better.

I feel your pain and understand the difficulty in that :P

This is where the feedback can be priceless. Again I haven't looked close enough yet to really provide anything useful, but I will do that this weekend. Would be nice to hear what some others think along this line though in the meanwhile.

Gnome

Gnome-

This is where the feedback can be priceless.
I have a page going in the discussions for all my mods (very little feedback so far though, aside from a few people:(). Would you mind posting any results there as that is the page where I am looking to release a complete package like you are mentioning above;). The link is... http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=95554 ...I would really appreciate as well as anyone else willing to provide any feedback. Maybe if I can get some feedback going over on that thread a little bit, other people may be more inclined to give their feedback:D Edited by Mysteryman5150

The whole thing is a bit more complicated as this. If unit A is able to detect unit B is not only determined in the config settings like adible, camouflage and various sensitivity settings but also on units skill level, rank and probably some more variables, not to forget about weather and daytime and so on.

Hi,

Are you telling me that lowering unit B visibility will not make it more difficult for unit A to detect it?

Because if it's the case you will directly contradict what the OP himself has wrote in another of his threads:

If you tweaked any of the settings that would be possible. especially the audible. In my testing just to verify the mod worked I set the audible to 0 for a specific unit and could come right behind an enemy and he couldn't hear me. Then I set the camouflage to 0 w/ audible at 0 and I could run around him and he had no Idea unless I fired my weapon, LOL. With camo at 0 but audible normal setting I could run around him and he could hear but not see me unless I fired my weapon.

Cheers

Edited by AliMag

@AliMag- I think he was trying to sum up that the individual unit settings are done in the editor with the skill level setting and that other environmental conditions would effect the ability to spot an enemy as well.

At least that's what I got out of it;).

Hi,

I understand.

But after trying your test myself (audible=0;camouflage=0) it's very easy to realize that no other settings or environmental conditions will change the result.

I made the test in bright light at 5 meters of the enemy and he acts like I was not even there (until I fired my weapon as you said). If he cant see me in broad daylight I dont think it will get better in bad weather conditions...

If there is a way to achieve that kind of result with the skill settings in the editor then please enlight me. It will be a much easier solution than making an addon.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

I follow what you are saying now AliMag. You are correct that if you set those 2 settings to 0 you are right there is no chance for the AI to detect that unit, unless it fires a weapon. Somehow this is determined as an absolute by the programming code;).

However, if the settings are anything above a 0 the other factors should come into play when set in the editor. i.e. I can get a certain distance to a target while laying down, but if I stand up or go to crouched I will be detected. Also, in the editor if I set an enemy units skill higher or lower it has had an affect for me in how well that unit is able to detect me.

I cannot elaborate on other factors since I haven't done alot of testing with environmental factors being altered or even time of day, so I will not even attempt to make an educated guess about those things:)

Hi,

I see your point. I did not try with any other settings than 0,0. I wish I had more time to investigate to.

Thanks again for your time and keep on the good work

Cheers

Mysteryman, if I use all your mods and don't want to adjust values... are they all set to go with your optimizations by dropping thwem in as normal mods?

BTW - wonderful work you're doing! :)

Jpinard- Thank you for the compliment :).

I have made no adjustments in the releases. They are all running the vanilla Arma 2 settings when released. If you want anything other than vanilla you will have to set it yourself, I appologize for that. I was thinking of releasing versions that would have predetermined settings but there didn't seem to be much feedback for this so I decided to let the user make their own settings.

BTW- The Stealth and recognition addon will be overwritten, for some units, by the Zues Spotting PBO as it redefines some of the same values at the individual unit level;). I personally use parts of Zues and SLX but I just leave out the PBO's that would counteract my addons.

Jpinard- Thank you for the compliment :).

I have made no adjustments in the releases. They are all running the vanilla Arma 2 settings when released. If you want anything other than vanilla you will have to set it yourself, I appologize for that. I was thinking of releasing versions that would have predetermined settings but there didn't seem to be much feedback for this so I decided to let the user make their own settings.

BTW- The Stealth and recognition addon will be overwritten, for some units, by the Zues Spotting PBO as it redefines some of the same values at the individual unit level;). I personally use parts of Zues and SLX but I just leave out the PBO's that would counteract my addons.

Here's an idea... Could you combine all these sets into one upload at Armaholic with all the presets optimized as you see fit? There are a lot of people like myself that are a tad overwhelemd by the mod choices and just want to go with what the author has done to optimize the experience for themselves. 95% (my un-scientific calculation) of the time this is what the end-user will enjoy as well :) And you're the expert on your own mods, not a newbie like me (and many others who've downlaoded it). So I'm sure you've got values assigned that you really like.

As a mod-maker in other games it stinks not getting more feedback, but even though I like to reward people for their work with kind words and ratings, I don't always follow thru. In fact I've still got to go back and rate like 50 more mods I've downloaded and am trying out!

Edited by jpinard