Sign in to follow this  
Moosed

changing the colour balance in arma 2

Is there a way to adjust the colour balance etc of arma ? i noticed that the map namalsk has some modules which change the colour balance, for example there is one called "namalsk default gray" which puts a grey filter over everything.

How do i create my own "filters" or fiddle with the colour balance ?

I am not too sure myself, I understand you can set it up moderately easy using game logics etc.

It generally involves numbers and decimals, for RGB, and all sorts of other color lingos. You will have to head over to the editing forums if you wan't an answer that makes a little more sense than mine lol!

Yep, it can be done through game logics and a few mission makers have used it (look under team/map options thingy while playing BennyWarfare)

I'd like a way to do it as an overall mod too, but I'm not sure if it can be done (there's probably a way). There was a discussion about it but not sure if they ever figured out a way to mod it in.

^^ Check that link above for the scripts. And to make you happy i just will tell you here that those scripts wich you can copy/paste and tweak go into either your INIT.SQF or into triggers. So its very flexible and easy to mess with ARMA2's colors. :)

thanks for the link and tips unfortunately this all seems way over my head, im not technically savy with this stuff at all. read the scripts thread and knew instantly it was all going to be to confusing for me to get to grips with.

would be cool if someone made some kind of tool/mod which let you change the colours with sliders or something simple like that for noobs like myself.

thanks for the link and tips unfortunately this all seems way over my head, im not technically savy with this stuff at all. read the scripts thread and knew instantly it was all going to be to confusing for me to get to grips with.

would be cool if someone made some kind of tool/mod which let you change the colours with sliders or something simple like that for noobs like myself.

We were all n00bs at some point mate! The best way to look at it is this:

You look at a line and see:

"MultipleSet (30,40,0.4) increase String *(0.4, 0.6, 0.7) exec"

Now you think to yourself, "Holy moly, that's complex!". But now with a simple bit of research, you will see it is not very complex at all, your mind simply does not want to attempt this because it doesn't know where to begin, so it simply ignores the problem all together.

Now looking at that complex code closer, you will see it is not just one big complicated mess, but it is a series of simple commands, all stuck together, to make one complicated looking item. You only have to disect the values, to see how simple they are.

For example, let's take that fictional sentence I made:

"MultipleSet (30,40,0.4) increase String *(0.4, 0.6, 0.7) exec"

Lets say MultipleSet means : "The percent of light allowed in the scene". So you now know, the following numbers are something to do with lighting. Now I will say what the numbers mean:

"(30,40,0.4)"

If "30" = the allowed percent of red light, you know increasing it will make the game have more of a red tint.

If "40" = the amount of green light, you know increasing it will make the game apear more green.

And if "0.4" = the blue light, you know increasing it will make the game apear more blue.

So instantly, we have taken this foreign laguage and broken it down. Now we understand the simple parts, we can easily stick it back into one sentence and know what we are doing :)

Of course, the line I gave you was purely fictional, you can understand that if you just put a little effort in, the same rule applies to the real commands.

Once you learn it, not only will you realise how simple it is, but you will also feel a great sense of accomplishment too. It's a feeling that you get, when you know you put effort in and got the result you were looking for.

There is a great quote I love to use:

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want.

Even if it does seem ultra complicated, you will only gain by trying!

Edited by Guest

Note that if you start a script using execVM that modifies color via a radio trigger (or even repeatedly), you can keep modifying the script while the mission is running. Makes trial and error more convenient.