Sign in to follow this  
boomboomer

ATI card - default memory setting causes artifacts

Hi all,

I've read here about the ATI 4xxx cards having a problem with the default video memory setting, but I've just installed a 5770 card and getting this:

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx177/boomboomerboom/Image1.jpg

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx177/boomboomerboom/Image2.jpg

Is this the same problem? Changing the memory settings to 'very high' solves it but also drops the frame rates - is there a cure?

XP sp3

4gb (3.2gb in os)

Q6600

ArmA2.cfg

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1080;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1080;

FSAA=0;

postFX=0;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=1063628800;

nonlocalVRAM=123076608;

Windowed=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=2;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=1920;

winH=1080;

winDefW=1920;

winDefH=1080;

Try starting the game with -winxp

Also try changing the "HDRPrecision" to 32 in your ArmA2.cfg file

Also, are you using HDMI or DVI connection?

Just curious because I've seen a lot of reports about issues with HDMI on the 57xx series.

Thanks for your reply.

Does the -winxp make any difference if I'm already using XP?

I'm using the DVI connector, I'll try the suggestions and get back to you.

Edit - tried all the above, no change. Also tried setting the localvram option to exactly 1Gb, no change....

Edited by boomboomer
update on trial

For testing purposes, try setting your 3d_Performance to 93750

Also try lowering your resolution and/or try running in Windowed mode.

Also, what driver version are you using?

Or just set texture memory to high, that did it for me!

Thanks for your reply.

Does the -winxp make any difference if I'm already using XP?

I'm using the DVI connector, I'll try the suggestions and get back to you.

Edit - tried all the above, no change. Also tried setting the localvram option to exactly 1Gb, no change....

the -winxp command does nothing for XP. (does nothing for anything worth doing IMO) Your issue is solved, use VH mem setting. How many frames are you loosing? what like 3fps? I have no fps difference between Default and VH, Now High can lower your other settings, so you may get more fps...

Just reinstalled XP myself, haven't used it since I updated to 1.05 and since I bought a new ATI card. Getting the same issue with "default" but I get a slightly higher framerate when using "Very High" and I get 45fps on Bench 1 under Windows XP with very high setting (10fps more than Win7), so I ain't complaining.

Well at least you've got something out of this - I'm staying clear of Win7 until I need something it does that XP doesn't, like if ArmA3 needs DX11.

I take your point, Bench 1 gives me 40fps on Very High and on 42 on default so very little difference but every frame helps when it comes to CQB in the city.

I hope Catalyst 10.2 solves the problem, came out yesterday, but I have to wait for Asus to issue their own version for the Voltage mod they include.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

benchmark1 is very ViewDistance affected. So for your ~40fps, you are at 2000, 1200VD? And for CQB if you have the option ingame(some missions limit VD) set it to 500m/lowest, heck try the benchmark at 500m...

No on the 10.2 for the artifact issue... its been there for 512mb cards since 9.6,and 1GB cards since 9.8....but if you find the the right Video Memory setting its gone. It would be better if BIS and ATi did some more work, on that.

ATI keeps releasing new drivers but have not once made effort to increase Arma 2 performance. Whats funny is Nvidia did this a long time ago and got some gains. Im a little irritated toward ATI for this.

Everytime they release a new driver it fixes games that have hardly any replay value. I dont understand the point of fixing mediocre issues on games that phase out quick rather than fix games where community keeps the game in play for a long time.

my 2 cents

I thinks it a case of increasing performance in games that kids will recognize the names of

ATI keeps releasing new drivers but have not once made effort to increase Arma 2 performance. Whats funny is Nvidia did this a long time ago and got some gains. Im a little irritated toward ATI for this.

Everytime they release a new driver it fixes games that have hardly any replay value. I dont understand the point of fixing mediocre issues on games that phase out quick rather than fix games where community keeps the game in play for a long time.

my 2 cents

Thats because NVDA needed it... The game is maxed for driver "performance" it would only reduce IQ from here on out. And yeah 12% on some H/W for nvdia is nice... 30fps to 33.6fps~. The biggest performance problem is players with a Display Rez too big for there current hardware.

benchmark1 is very ViewDistance affected. So for your ~40fps, you are at 2000, 1200VD? And for CQB if you have the option ingame(some missions limit VD) set it to 500m/lowest, heck try the benchmark at 500m...

No on the 10.2 for the artifact issue... its been there for 512mb cards since 9.6,and 1GB cards since 9.8....but if you find the the right Video Memory setting its gone. It would be better if BIS and ATi did some more work, on that.

View distance is 3.5km, as that's what I use when playing domination servers - I take your point about lowering it for CQB but that's difficult during play. I prefer the mid settings I have which give good fps all the time, shame about the 10.2 not fixing the artifacts.