Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Please report nasty spammers

Man, it seems they're popping up just about every other day now. Better spamtard defenses be needed. :coop:

Man, it seems they're popping up just about every other day now. Better spamtard defenses be needed. :coop:
thats normal nowadays. Im doing Moderator job in a big Goth-Scene message Board for years now and I have to hand delete at least three of them per day. In some way they more and more pass behind the activation e-mail border. But the contents of most of the spam topics are so badly placed that I doubt any humans have posted them.

There has been a much larger influx over the last 5-7 days than usual though, not sure what we can do but I'll look into it.

Bet you it's to do with "them" from "over there". :mad:

:p

Well Placebo, maybe you should hire an anti-spambot: just a guy who reads the forums all day deleting spam.

Fight spam with spam...

Edited by Big Dawg KS

You need to automatically collate a database of spammer's email addresses, then spam them in turn :p

You need to automatically collate a database of spammer's email addresses, then spam them in turn :p

Sure. With an automated message like:

"With only under 30€ purchasing OA you can't go wrong! It might also increase your p***s size"

Sure. With an automated message like:

"With only under 30€ purchasing OA you can't go wrong! It might also increase your p***s size"

Not sure about the penis size, but it certainly gives me an instant hard-on. Every time, guaranteed! ;)

We implemented an anti-spam system a little while ago (hence the brief forum downtime) all being well it will work, else it won't and the forums will melt into a pit of FPDR

This thread almost literally had me 'ROFLing'. Not hard for someone who's baked but alas, I still give the thread credit.

It is and it's very effective at preventing automated signups, but some spammers now employ real people to read the recaptcha and create accounts.

wow ive never expected it these guys are serious heck ruuuuun while u can tey everywhere:eek:

It is and it's very effective at preventing automated signups, but some spammers now employ real people to read the recaptcha and create accounts.

I've also read about improved bots that can read Captcha, so some sites I visit have employed even more difficult to read Captcha, making it so hard that I have a hard time deciphering it myself :butbut:

Yeah me too. Those harder capthas are really hard to read, you're right there.

On my website, I have other challenges. A random arithmetic question, that sort of thing.

But with these new Chinese factories with desks full of kids signing up it's a case of looking at the IP and the content they post.

Yes, some bots can read Captcha, I read that a while ago as well on our CMS forum.

What helps good is when you use a random mix of captha's on your website.

Our math capatcha on Armaholic is still doing his job very good though, even though I can see in my logs a lot of spammers try to signup/login.

Those really difficult Captcha annoy the hell out of me, like you I sometimes cant even signup cause i cant read it. Or my form is reset after submitting a wrong Captcha. I hate it when that happens too (yeah, I know about form defaults).

Given the fact that it takes some time for mods to respond to reports (and yes I make use of the report feature right away when these things appear), is there anything wrong with replying in the meantime just to identify it as spam so others don't waste time replying to it? Like you said, it's just gonna be deleted anyways.

All in all, I would have to agree with you. When it comes down to it the thread will be deleted in the end. If the person is going to spam, their going to spam regardless if people are posting on it or not. If anything, this brings the spam to the "front" faster. Who ever is spamming will decide if they will keep up the process depending how many times they get caught being that MODs are the only ones with the ability to do something about the spam. I thinks MODs are just pissed off at the extra work they have to do. I would not consider it extra but apart of their normal responsibilites.