Sign in to follow this  
cnickcj

Help with addon folders etc

I wish to add another island , i have read a lot about making a addon folder but wanted to be totally sure i am doing it right , a short explanation would be great , not only for me but also for anybody else who isn't sure about the process.....

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=Arma2_files for anybody needing missons , mods addons etc

Edited by cnickcj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt2Uymcml8k

That should sum it up pretty much.

For easiest use, I recommend you to use a modlauncher. It detects modfolders automatically, and you can just select the mods you want to run from modlauncher.

I am using Alpinestars one: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6649

Basically, idea is this:

Create modfolder to your ArmA2 main directory, modfolder would look most likelly: "@MODNAME" without quotiation marks, inside modfolder, create new folder called "addons" without quotiation marks again, and then, put all .pbo and .bisgin extension files in there.

Hope that helped :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt2Uymcml8k

That should sum it up pretty much.

For easiest use, I recommend you to use a modlauncher. It detects modfolders automatically, and you can just select the mods you want to run from modlauncher.

I am using Alpinestars one: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6649

Basically, idea is this:

Create modfolder to your ArmA2 main directory, modfolder would look most likelly: "@MODNAME" without quotiation marks, inside modfolder, create new folder called "addons" without quotiation marks again, and then, put all .pbo and .bisgin extension files in there.

Hope that helped :)

The mod launcher help me loads , thanks a lot :)

Edited by cnickcj

Not to mention the easy ability to launch the game with no intro and empty game world gets your game loaded much much faster.

i added duala island and made my first misson , i spent some time on this misson , i even lost sleep over it , lol .. now to add the ace mod and some other mods and hopefuly get my friends from xbox to do the same ...

what i now what to know is what is the smallest island ? as my friends computer isn't that good but can run the game , i think he will have a better experience with a smaller island ..

Utes is easy on performance. I would say Isla Duala is also very easy on performance, but the trick is to lay out the mission in the parts that are high performance. For example the island Vixena (in Isla Duala) is way too heavy for my pc and i cant play there, but other areas give me superb performance. So to sum it up just find a big nice place on an island where the FPS is good and make the mission around that part.

Kellu island is one that should have good FPS almost all around. Its very easy on my pc. Search for it on armaholic.com. You can check Japhato island as well. It has a lot of trees but not the heavy yellow ones.

so far we found everon was the best with low end pcs , well my friend thinks this is the case , still it would be nice for somebody to make a really nice island for very low end pcs ,. well i mean maybe only four different types of trees , and flat ground as grass and also only a few different building types , . if this was the case a lot more ppl would be able to run the game at a fair speed ...

maybe i should of named this tread , all arma2 noobies like me can find useful information to make your experience better :-)

Edited by cnickcj

so far we found everon was the best with low end pcs , well my friend thinks this is the case , still it would be nice for somebody to make a really nice island for very low end pcs ,. well i mean maybe only four different types of trees , and flat ground as grass and also only a few different building types , . if this was the case a lot more ppl would be able to run the game at a fair speed ...

Ah yes. Forgot Everon. That is definatelly the easiest on FPS. Good map. :)

I've found most of the user maps to be easy on the system, giving higher frame rates. Check out Panthera & Namalsk too. great islands which both give me good performance on my mid spec PC.

i have a problem with everon , when i look at the ground bright and i turn to look at a hill goes very dark . if i am flying its fine ... i am wondering what makes this happen , i got told it was hr problems and to edit the cfg file and change hr from 8 to 32 . well i think this is one of the biggest problem for me at the moment , ground is bright and if the were a army running down the hill as i looked up , it would be game over ..

I've found most of the user maps to be easy on the system, giving higher frame rates. Check out Panthera & Namalsk too. great islands which both give me good performance on my mid spec PC.

Panthera and Namalsk are not for weaker PC's. Parts of them are very good but in general they are much heavier than Everon (easiest of them all so far i think). Panthera was super easy on FPS before the new version with all BIS yellow FPS hog trees. Namalsk got much better after the fix on the grass but still heavy on my PC with grass on (off its awesome fps, but not fun to play). They are great islands though.

My specs in sig.