Sign in to follow this  
Intezar

Shouldn't we know more by now?

would be nice to be told by the developers that its not scrapped.

It's not scrapped :yay:

It's not scrapped :yay:

Thanks now i can start chewing my fingernails again in anticipation :)

Nice article and screens (though I had trouble to find the gallery I must confess).

From the squareish shape of the islands, it seems to me that you won't have a single huge map with all 32 islands on it, but rather 32 smaller maps that you load individually when you arrive closer on the map (more like Mount And Blade), the rest being plain high sea.

Some of the eye candy is really nice. The lighting is gorgeous and the grass transition is very smooth. It seems that there is translucent vegetation/leaves and very smooth soft shadows.

It would be a shame to play everything in RTS mode and not appreciate the detail in FPS...

In any case, there's some very interesting bits of code and art here.

Edited by EricM

I know, we're working on getting a new system into place. This one is cumbersome. We want to incorporate all new features and Facebook connect so you don't need to login to comment, etc. Hopefully, this summer :)

The islands are the main play areas and the goal of the game. But there will be some time spent traveling from one to the other. There must be or the supply line strategy would be useless if you could just pop from island to island.

And I agree, sitting in the RTS mode for the whole game would make one miss some of the truly cool stuff in the game.

Nice article and screens (though I had trouble to find the gallery I must confess).

I know, we're working on getting a new system into place. This one is cumbersome. We want to incorporate all new features and Facebook connect so you don't need to login to comment, etc. Hopefully, this summer :)

The islands are the main play areas and the goal of the game. But there will be some time spent traveling from one to the other. There must be or the supply line strategy would be useless if you could just pop from island to island.

And I agree, sitting in the RTS mode for the whole game would make one miss some of the truly cool stuff in the game.

I remember playing the old version on the amiga and if i remember right the commander of the ship played the RTS mode but could jump to any of the ATV's or Planes and directly control them.

Is this game on the Arma2 engine..

you won't have a single huge map with all 32 islands on it, but rather 32 smaller maps that you load individually

If im right about the arma engine then the Islands would be all there and not in instances..

Devs already stated that it's not Arma2 engine, although they didn't give any further details

Is this game on the Arma2 engine..

It's a new engine.

I don't believe the islands are instances. They've all been pre-designed already and so there's no reason to not have them already live.

Plus, the AI will be doing things on all of the islands prior to your arrival, so that would make me believe that they are all part of one large world. Sure it's probably just doing some math in the background until it's within draw distance, but they have to "exist" already.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

http://www.gamersdailynews.com/media-18144.html

Now there's a first (from BIS anyway). Hope formations like that find their way into the ArmA world.

I bet that's one of the distinguishable landmarks that we talked about in the review. With just 6 island types they could have just made static islands but they made those special formations via a weathering and aging algorithm on each island (if I remember what Jan told me correctly) and so each is unique.

It's a new engine.

It looks like an engine very similar to that of ARMA2, foliage, lighting and models resemble that of ARMA2, But I'm just looking forward to playing this..:yay:

...foliage...resemble that of ARMA2

That's no wonder. BIS' Linda was used to generate both ARMA 2's and CC's trees.

Nice preview, thx for sharing!

I´m really hoping for a well thought out MP mode where victory depends on how well players cooperate together - be it by sharing ressources, capturing islands in a manner that compliments your team mates tactics, assaulting strongholds together in full force etc.

Just imagine 16 carriers forming up to attack an island that´s being held by another 16 players who got carriers too! *drools*

Definately not hoping for simple MP modes like CTF and others alike as mentioned in the preview.

They might be there, no harm done. But please don´t leave it at that. Theres a huge ammount of potential in this!