Sign in to follow this  
jwalstab

Dedicated server requirements for SP?

Hi guys,

A quick question. I just got a new computer but still have my old dual core, which is pretty slow it can only run arma 2 at all settings low. Cutting to the chase I like to play singleplayer warfare by going into multiplayer and hosting a LAN game.

The game goes a bit laggy after playing it for half an hour or so and I was thinking if I run a dedicated LAN game from my old computer and join that with my new computer would this improve performance or lower it considering my new computer is twice as fast as my old one?

Without specs from both computers we can't really recommend anything ;)

yeah i was thinking about doing the same because mine lags as well after about 10mins even with the resistance off and i have a

Processor: AMD Phenom 9750 X4 2.4GHz

Memory: 4GB (2 x 2GB) 800MHz RAM

HD Capacity: 640GB

Graphics Card: HD4850 512MB DDR3 Graphics Card

Operating System: Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Optical Drive: DVD-SM + DVD-ROM

Air Cooled CPU Thermal Solution

Acer Multimedia Keyboard and Optical Mouse

Gigabit Ethernet

750W Power Supply

Up to 2 EasySwap HDDs

Warranty: 1 Year manufacturer warranty

The 1st computer I play on is an i5 3.20gh w/ HD5770 or something and the server is 2 gigs dual core something but basically it runs arma on low settings.

My question is really more if a lower end computer gives better performance running a dedicated server for a higher powered computer, so specs shouldnt really come into to much just a question of logic?

I used my dell laptop, latitude d620, as ded server for arma1. Worked ok, could have a game with friends and a DAC-heavy mission.

I suggest you try. Its free anyway so why not?

My question is really more if a lower end computer gives better performance running a dedicated server for a higher powered computer, so specs shouldnt really come into to much just a question of logic?

No, it isn't just a question of logic. It depends on the specs and the type of mission, number of AI etc. If you're normal PC stutters when hosting and playing it might work to run the server on a dedicated server with lower specs, dividing the calculations between the slower server and the faster client. But if the server is so slow that it can't even handle the missions (AI calculations etc) it will not be better. If you regular PC is fast enough to both be used as host and client, moving it to a slower dedicated server won't boost anything, especially if the server is too slow to begin with.

So yeah, specs do matter, a lot. And so do the type of mission, amount of AI, etc.

Since you already have the extra PC I'd say: just give it a try! :)

Thanks mate what you said is helpful, I am going to give it a try next week and post exact specs of each machine and whether it was better or worse.