Sign in to follow this  

Metro 2033

Heh.. Steam just reduced the price of it by $40. Feel sorry for the ones who pre-ordered it.

They also reduced the price of BC2 by $20, which is a pity since my copy is currently being shipped.

There is no way i can run this game, i should buy the book instead :P.

Cool game, but it just doesn't feel like STALKER.

What I love about Metro 2033 is the ability to kill enemies silently which was always missing from STALKER, you can sneak around people and throw knives at them, then they run around thinking its the mutants attacking them.

Edited by USSRsniper

$90 ?????!!!!!!!!for this???

Well I went to my local EB games (australia) this morning and they wanted $110 for it!!! This is $10 more expensive than any game I've seen at retail, and when I raised it with the sales guy he agreed it was driving off customers. It's probably a pretty good game but I won't be finding out until it's at least $30 cheaper. Most annoying was that the latest STALKER was on the shelf next to it for $70. Time to vote with the wallet when they're asking this sort of cash for a 10 hour single player only game.

tpw 110$? in such cases its much better to find smn with shitload of cash and play at his home or rent his copy,while it is only SP.

ABSOLUTE OFFTOPIC

What weather is right now in Australia??) Just curious, because in my country we have some kind of "winter comes back" in 20 of March right now.

Australian weather can never make up it's mind. Right now it's sunny and hot, has been for the past 2 days, before that it was rainy and cold for 2 days.

It's quite an excellent game. The style of fame q

wouldn't work open world (being that most of the time you're in an underground rail system) so the linearity doesn't hurt too much.

Graphics are stunning. The characters look a little cartoony but they have enough strength. Of character and animation to come good. performance is a bit of an issue for older hardware and it's a pity that you can't alter each individual settin yourself, but it's adjustable enough to allow you to play without a super rig.

As I mentioned before, my only major gripe is the price. Having the new stalker come out at $20 and have this come out at $90 even though this is a lot more linear with no multiplayer or replay value (fortunately it's a lot less buggy than stalker) seemed odd, but the price fortunately dropped to $50 straight after release (I feel sorry for those who preordered)

Done the game - Not bad game , graphics are cool ,but cpu/gpu killer :D

It something missing , don't know what , only got that feel :p

I can confirm, this is the FIRST "fps" game, (crysis, BC2, etc) that I cannot run maxed out. The only game I can not run maxed out currently is Arma 2, and Metro is right up there with it.

I can run maxed at about 20fps, but that is too little for me!

Looks better than crysis. Gameplay is some of the best I have ever experienced.

The game has many small issues, some very annoying some not even noticeable, I hope a sequel will come out with all these issues perfected.

My score, 9/10.

Possible score, if they fixed some issues, 11/10.

I'm really enjoying this too, despite its little flaws it is an amazing game. Best FPS I've played since HL2, honestly

One annoying thing I found was that I was trying to stealth through an area and was spotted and fired upon, so I had to dash through while a large group was firing on me from above. I ran forward and had just enough time to see a group of 5 guys in front of me line up their shots while at the same time in the corner I saw the Auto-save icon pop up.

Not wanting to backtrack I had to reload about 15 times til I could get the perfect timing to dodge bullets, while taking out several of the guys, and taking out all the lights, then navigating pitch black darkness (with no NV goggles at the time) to cover then spending the next hour slowly sneaking out of there (with only 2 throwing knives as my stealth weapons)

That would also be one of my other gripes. Maybe it's the difficulty level but whenever I sneak up on someone and throw a throwing knife into their head they seem to swat it like it's a mosquito then turn and fire. I put 2 into one guys head before I decided to rush him and finish him with the standard knife.

Hey look at that. Steam price just went up to $90 again. Guess someone read some good reviews.

BTW, try playing the game with just the knife and go hellman... it's a lot of fun (and in some sections it's easier than trying to shoot everyone)

I am still trying to figure out what those straw like bullets are? They are like arrows that seem to poison the enemy. I just have no idea what weapon uses them, and where to buy it?

Not sure. There are the arrows that fire from a neumonic gun (that I found on a crate near the frontlines, six barreled weird thing) that are really effective if you get a head shot but you go through ammo fast on them (fortunately you can recover your arrows from the walls and such)

Other than that I'm not sure.

I was disapointed by this game.

I don't know the book, but according to what i heard about it, i was expecting something with very dense atmosphere - which could be done, if it weren't for those stupid checkpoints and heavily scripted AI companions.

Burbon was allways rushing somewhere 0.5km in front of me, while i was scavenging some goods from dead bodies, and he was still talking to me like if i was there with him (is that supposed to be immersive?).

The enemies are dumb as hell, but stealth aproach is often very hard, because you kill first mutant almost instantly with two headshots from suppressed weapon, but from that moment all other mutants knows EXACLTY where you are hiding).

The gas mask was super annoying (one filter will last for 5 minutes or so - making stealth exploring impossible, and forcing you to rush).

And the checkpoints, oh my god! WTF?! I thought it is 21th century already, but aparently some developers are still living in the medieval 8bit consoles ages.

I was running on last filter, when some stupid checkpoint replaced my previous "save", and it took me about 15x of loading and trying to find another filter before i suffocate.

And even with the checkpoint, i would expect that when i am exiting the game, it should offer me to save the current state, but no, you have only the last checkpoint.

So when you want to stop playing, and you don't want to repeat the last 10 minutes of crawling and fighting next time you start the game, you have to continue until you reach another checkpoint! IT IS ANNOYING!

Also, it reminded me a lot of Doom 3, where you have to cross some trigger to start some event (then some mutants will appear, or whatever) - i have nothing against such things, but somehow it didn't felt right.

Then there are a lot of people in the settlements, but you cannot interact with them, you can only buy some weapons and ammo from the "shopkeepers", but apart from that there is almost no interaction with the NPC around you - it feels like walking through a shop filled with static figurines to show off some clothing (and not only that the clothing is almost the same, but so are the faces of the figurines).

And the graphics?

...well, hard to say, for some reason i cannot run the game in DX11, although i can play other games like Crysis Warhead, or Stalker:CS with DX11 completely maxed out without any problems.

Maybe it is because i played it with DX10, but the graphics looks just "normal" - it's ok, but it's nothing special, just how a "standard" not-too-old-game should look like, but nothing worth the advertising i seen on the web.

In my oppinion, the Stalker CS and maybe even the Crysis looks much better (but then again, maybe that is the difference between DX10 and 11).

My verdict: as a budget game it would be worth $10, but hardly no more.

It's a no buy for me.

Betwean this and the latest stalker i'd go with stalker (Call of Pripyat).

I've heard someone say this is "Stalker if IW made it but forgot to add MP" :D .

And the graphics?

...well, hard to say, for some reason i cannot run the game in DX11, although i can play other games like Crysis Warhead, or Stalker:CS with DX11 completely maxed out without any problems.

Maybe it is because i played it with DX10, but the graphics looks just "normal" - it's ok, but it's nothing special, just how a "standard" not-too-old-game should look like, but nothing worth the advertising i seen on the web.

In my oppinion, the Stalker CS and maybe even the Crysis looks much better (but then again, maybe that is the difference between DX10 and 11).

STALKER: Clear Sky and Crysis doesn’t support DX11.

STALKER: Clear Sky and Crysis doesn’t support DX11.

You are right, my mistake.

I was about to mention that. Stalker cs and warhead don't support dx 11, only dx 10. It sounds like you don't have a dx 11 card. The only ones on the market right now are the ati 5xxx.

I like the checkpoint system kindof. I hate quick save and save where you want in games, and I guess that's what I like so much about metro. Sneaking along freaking put at every sound 'cause you don't know when it's going to save it. But as I said before, it has the massive downside of being under fire and running to find cover only to see the autosave a couple of seconds before you die.

Graphics and lighting wise I haven't seen anything close to it, but as such it can run aslow in some areas, and the characters can feel like a weak point as they're a little too cartoony.

I can only suggest everyone to read the book... very long but with a atmosphere that is amazing.

There even was parts that made me afraid just by explaining how Artjom walks trough a pitch black tunnel thinking there is someone watching him.

A immersion effect i never had with another book.

If the game is half as good it already is a must buy.

scuse, but whats the books name mate?

note that you DONT need to BUY this book -it is possible to find english version on russian internet libraries.

BTW the graphic of the game is reallly goooooood ,BUT 50 bucks is limit for me for SP GAME,so....)))