Sign in to follow this  
goaz

Ati 5850 crossfire - flickering/flashing/low peroformance

Hi all,

After several years i bought a new computer with a new brand hardware in it and to be more precisely an i5 quadcore, 2 x 5850 ati assembled in a crossfire x system, a raid0 of 2 wd re3 hardrives , 4 gigs corsair ram cl8 ,a good corsair psu 650w and a full hd monitor 1920x1080 etc etc

I bought my arma2 dvd installed it, set all the configurations to very high,resoluition at 19201080 and thought to play a smooth game....but it really sucks...!!!After a few mins of gameplay the graphs starts flickering and flashing as if i were at a RAve party with all the strobos and flashes going on and off continusoyl..

I have the last ati catalyst 10.1 instlalled, on a win7 64bit O.S...

Your advises would be higlhy appreciated as i'd love to play this game without problems..

Do you think that basis on my above mentioned specs can i play the game at the maximum configuration?' How many fps am i supposed to get from my sistem?

Thank you very much guys, i am waiting for your precious advises!

Hi all,

Set your VideoMemory to Default. In your arma2.cfg set your HDR to 32.

your FPS will be in the 20s~ with your rez and settings. Turn Post Process off, us only Normal AA, and make sure your 3D rez is at 100%. In your CCC set all to Application Settings, no AAA or SSAA for now, your 5850s are = to 4890~s

Edited by kklownboy

for now, your 5850s are = to 4890~s

Man many thanks for your help, why are you saying that my 5850's are exactly the same as the 4890?

Their not. The 4890 is just above the 5770, the 5850 is equal to the GTX280.

But back on topic, make sure you've patched up to 1.05 as well.

As for settings, I'm not sure what would run best for your setup, with a single 5850 I can run everything maxxed out with 3k view distance and AA disabled. With non-adaptive AA under CCC I can run with Antialiasing on high with all setting maxxed out, but with the crossfire you shouldn't have much of an issue with all settings maxed out.

You may want to try with Post processing off and on to see which you prefer (looks good on, but can make it blurry trying to view things at a distance)

And make sure your Resolution and 3d Resolution are set the same.

the HD5xxx serie drivers has serie of driver problems (and also driver solveable)

the grey screen bug of 58xx, the blackscreen and freeze of 57xx

several types of crossfire issues

AF issues for games not controlling AF themself

there are several hotfixes available but each missing the others fixes ...

i definitely try wait for 10.2 drivers before coming to conclusion

it's young platform so it take time to mature 5xxx drivers

Their not. The 4890 is just above the 5770, the 5850 is equal to the GTX280.

But back on topic, make sure you've patched up to 1.05 as well.

As for settings, I'm not sure what would run best for your setup, with a single 5850 I can run everything maxxed out with 3k view distance and AA disabled. With non-adaptive AA under CCC I can run with Antialiasing on high with all setting maxxed out, but with the crossfire you shouldn't have much of an issue with all settings maxed out.

You may want to try with Post processing off and on to see which you prefer (looks good on, but can make it blurry trying to view things at a distance)

And make sure your Resolution and 3d Resolution are set the same.

I set the render res and view res at the same valude, and well the patch 1.05 is already installed , it seems we almost have the same specs, what is your cpu?

By the way running the game with all the settings maxxed out it really sux and i have maybe 15-20 fps wih a resolution of 1920/1080.

At what res are u running the game?Because if you're running

I cant figure out what's the prob:mad:

Hi all,

I bought my arma2 dvd installed it, set all the configurations to very high,resoluition at 19201080 and thought to play a smooth game....but it really sucks...!!!After a few mins of gameplay the graphs starts flickering and flashing as if i were at a RAve party with all the strobos and flashes going on and off continusoyl..

Ok your fps is low, i have allmost same system, i5 and ONE 5850.

But what interested me is you can play and after a few mins you get flickering and stuff.

I would check my temps of both cards.

A systembuilder doesnt always test there designs properly and it could be your gfx cards ar to close together and you get one card overheating.

For more help we need your exact system specs, brand mobo, brand gfx.

But first i would check your temps.

Ok your fps is low, i have allmost same system, i5 and ONE 5850.

But what interested me is you can play and after a few mins you get flickering and stuff.

I would check my temps of both cards.

A systembuilder doesnt always test there designs properly and it could be your gfx cards ar to close together and you get one card overheating.

For more help we need your exact system specs, brand mobo, brand gfx.

But first i would check your temps.

the flickering and strobos has stopped, dont know why but now it seems is ok but i have very low fps if i set all at "very high"

my full specs: sapphire ati 5850 x 2 @crossfire

cpu: i5 aircooled by a noctua -dh 14

4 giga ram ddr3 corsair

raid0 wd caviar Re3 250gb x 2

psu: corsair 650w

the temperatures are ok, both for gpu's and cpu as well,my coolermaster cm690 is very well ventilated.

Did u set all to "very high"?

I'm running

Q9400

HIS HD5850

4GB Ram

Windows 7 32bit

Windows 7 64bit

Windows XP 32bit

With all settings to very high, 3k view distance, Anti-aliasing off, I get usually 30-60 fps, depending on what's going on, with a lot of AI and complex things going on it can drop to 22 fps (CPU limitation)

Make sure your hard drive is defragged.

Edited by Bulldogs

I didnt have everything on very high(i am a realist and i only have 1 5850), i play everything on high, viewdistance 5km's, aa is normal, resolution is 1920*1080.in the ingame benchmarks i score in the first 48fps and in the second one 30 fps.

Viewdistance is a fps killer dont go over 5km's, first of all if you are not flying you dont need more then 5km's, 3 or 4 km's enough.

i must say my cpu is overclocked, but that is so easy to do with the i5, its running at 3.4 Ghz with no voltage changes or anything.

You have to check your scalling of your crossfire to see if both cards are used.

@Goaz

About the problem-read a bit in this thread to get more information and to check if this describes your problem:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=124747.

Theres already a Hotfix out (official only for the 5850er- and 5870er-series), which solved the problem for me and round about 25% of the user who got the same problem.

Hotfix: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Grey-screen-and-vertical-line-corruptions.aspx

Some VGA-brands got info from ATI that there will be come an official driver (10.2) at the end of this month, which should solve the problem for all the others (hopefully).

@WilllaChilla : many thanks, i'll give it a try!

:)

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

@WilllaChilla : many thanks, i'll give it a try!

:)

do you guys think that installing an additional 4 gib of ram ( for a total isntalled memory of 8 gb) would improve performance?

Mh-im not so involved in the intel-hardware thing generally... . For Arma2 4GB of ram is okay,because its a 32bit application so it uses not more than 4GB anytime. If you run Arma and check your ram-performance you see it doesnt need more than 2GB.

IF you want to use ramdisk (check threads in this forum with the search-function) some more GB of Ram is usefull. Testet it before my SSD arrived, it can give you some smoother gameplay generally (especially with popping textures, etc.

Besides of that, i thought the new Intel-mobos are especially built for Ram in Triple-Channel?-So 2 GB would be the best solution for you-->6GB-->3 sticks a 2GB, in my opinion (please check this, im not 100% sure).

just to kickup an old thread, crossfire and arma just dont work well together :)

ive been through several setups and all ati cards work like a gem untill you add a second card. then the flickerring, whiteouts and blackouts return ingame :(

ive used

hd8530 - no problems with any kind of driver

2x hd8530 (crossfire) - flikerring, blackouts, unplayable when near a coast/sun

hd7850 - hd8530 - no problems with any kind of driver

2x hd7850 (crossfire) - flikerring, blackouts, and a new fenomen whiteouts, where the screen flickers untill its bright white, then goes black again. unplayable when near a coast or a sunlight source

been through all ati driver sets, arma beta patches and even reinstalls, crossfire just isnt compatible with arma2 imho.

for now i just disable 1 card everytime i run arma2oa :)

lets hope this is better in a3 :)