Sign in to follow this  
LeeCol

Shader model 2 not supported anymore???

Hi,

Have just purchased the game yesterday and installed today, however after installation i tried to run the game only to be confronted by this error message - Shader model 2 not supported anymore - any help would be grately appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

Not a clue, havnt had problems in the past with games such as command and conquer, pc is a Dell Dimension 8400 if thats any help.

Not a clue, havnt had problems in the past with games such as command and conquer, pc is a Dell Dimension 8400 if thats any help.

well, i guess you could find out what GFX card you have (i am actually assuming that you have an onboard one really), then come back and post for support.

Is not that hard to do

Google gives you more than clues, it gives you answers....

Do apologise guys, found the following details :-

Graphics Controller

Type PCI Express x16 - Plug-in card .Graphics Card Name ATI Radeon X800 XT .Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI Radeon X300 .Video Memory 128.0 MB / 128.0 MB (max) DDR SDRAM .Digital Video Standard Digital Visual Interface (DVI) .Max Monitors Supported 2.0

I'm sorry to say that graphics card won't be able to handle Arma 2 well (if at all). I do believe you have a PCI express slot on your motherboard, which an 8800 GT would fit into (anything better would just be a waste considering the rest of your system, would work with existing PSU, and of course is real cheap too)... but that's another topic, and just my opinion.

Good luck.

Edited by Mosh
typo

Your card only supports Shader Model 2.0, you need 3.0 to at least launch the game.

Back to the original trouble with SM2 not supported. I honestly don't think it was that hard for BI to compile their shaders for sm2 and sm3. The true problem is that all sm2-cards are really old and weak. They wouldn't be able to run this game.

I honestly don't think it was that hard for BI to compile their shaders for sm2 and sm3.

Never written shaders then.

What a shame, was really looking forward to this game, but as no funds for new graphics card it'll have to go back tomorrow. Many thanks for all your help guys.

Lee

Yeah you're going to want an ATI 3650 HD or Nvidia 8800 + or more to be able to run this game "optimally"

This game is heavy on resources you had better hope you got at least a dual core also, since CPU makes a huge difference in FPS in A2.

Back to the original trouble with SM2 not supported. I honestly don't think it was that hard for BI to compile their shaders for sm2 and sm3. The true problem is that all sm2-cards are really old and weak. They wouldn't be able to run this game.

"They should have stuck with SM2. SM2 cards would be too weak."

Then where is the trouble?