Sign in to follow this  
Alpha13

ARMA 2: Total War

Hey guys, so with all the brilliant MOD's that this community has been putting out there (Benny's especially) I can totally see that if certain big pieces get combined you can create an ARMA 2: Total War type of game play (all in real time of course). I already shot one of the more specific ideas to Benny on this (more along where you can jump in to any unit) but in this topic I want to zoom out a bit further and see if anyone wants to do on what I propose here (I know, ideas are dime a dozen, but I think people might be interested in this one). Maybe it can be incorporated in to already existing Missions, or maybe it'll need to be created from scratch, your call as a developer of course.

Gameplay:

- Utilize warfare gameplay (eg: Benny's)

- Commander can jump in to any unit

- Commander can control units not only on general map, but also in 3d camera mode that can move around friendly units

- Commander can build without physically being present in the areas (of course the rules will still apply that friendly presence is required to be there)

- Basically commander has the control of the camera and units like in Total War games and can also build

- Keep the resources/buildings/unit commands like they are right now, or maybe upgrade to a next level (because of flexibility that commander now has).

Result:

- This game automatically becomes in to almost like a RTS with a Total War flare because commander can dedicate himself to controlling the units not only on general map but also on battlefield itself

- Commander (and maybe even squad leader humans?) also get more of an instant combat where they can engage in the hot spots that are happening rather than have long travel times (although they can still do that if they want to micro the travel part as well) without being unfair (since units don't just materialize out of nowhere, they just get controlled by humans at will).

- VERY friendly for a low amount of people play (eg LAN)

So, that is the idea, if you have more details please don't hesitate to flesh them out here (I'm sure there is more than just me who would be interested in game play like this). Otherwise, I'm very curious if any heavy hitters here would be interested in incorporating in to existing or creating brand new gameplay utilizing these rules (especially since it seemes like all the core pieces are already there, they just need to be put together which is of course not an easy thing, but is doable).

What do you guys think?

You cannot team switch ("jump" into a unit) unless it was created in the editor as a part of the mission and set to playable and not be disabled in the role selection screen. As far as I know it also only works with SIDE respawns which means that any playable unit that dies stays dead (no respawn) but you can switch to other playable units when you die (or at any other time).

So just to be clear, this is more of a MOD request rather than me working on it :) (since I'm a noob at this). I just played around with different MODs (VTS, Benny's, etc.) and see that if you combine major parts of them you can actually have a very nice RTS with FPS mod that reminds me of Total War game play (without turn based part but still has building and resources based on location captures and friendly for single/low player). I was wondering if anyone would like to pick up the torch on this and either modify their MOD they already have with this or create a new one.

My memory may be shady but i recall a CTI/Warfare mod for Arma1 doing very similer, if not exactly as you request. May be easier to simply port it rather then make it from scratch.

For the record it was one of my fav mods for Arma1. you built the base and sent out units as commander, but you could also take over any soldier or simply view things from their eyes type thing. And other stuff of course heh

Hey hey, sorry to resurrect my old topic, but I was wondering if anyone has already done something like what I have described here or is currently working on it (or maybe its some new mode in Arrowhead even)? Thanks!

So, this is a mod request and this is not in a mod-request thread right?

Its both :) Basically I was asking if anyone already knows if there is a MOD like this for ARMA2 (or maybe even in Arrowhead) and if not then is it possible that someone can create something like that? Especially since there are mods which have technology described here that would just need to be spliced together to do this (oversimplification, I know, but it does look like it can be done).

Chain of Command Command Engine X in Ofp/ArmA could do these in particular quite well.

- Commander can jump in to any unit

- Commander can control units not only on general map, but also in 3d camera mode that can move around friendly units

It is possibly what got BIS to make the High Command system. Which is very similar to COC CEX but works better/faster but you cant jump into a unit and fight or 'fly' around in 3d while commanding. It was actually really cool and like to see what could be made of it now that BIS have a base to make it even better, but the team seems pretty dead now.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=62116

After reading your initial post, well... What you have described is completely missing the essense of what Total War is all about. :eek:

It can't rightly be called Total War without:

1. Turn Based Campaign Map

2. Individual Real-Time Battles that end (and thus affect the campaign map)

Maybe modify your description accordingly... or give your mission another name?

After reading your initial post, well... What you have described is completely missing the essense of what Total War is all about. :eek:

It can't rightly be called Total War without:

1. Turn Based Campaign Map

2. Individual Real-Time Battles that end (and thus affect the campaign map)

Maybe modify your description accordingly... or give your mission another name?

Not to mention thousands of troops, as well as direct control over squads.

I dreamt about a total war style mission for ARMA 2 one time while I was sleeping, but turns out that would lag the hell out of ARMA. Hey, someone should try to tweak up this little RTS mod here (WOO) http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?120151-MBG-Window-of-opportunity and make some kind of Men of War: ARMA Edition? (Men of ARMA) :D

That may seem to work theoretically.

Yes, it only need a unit Limit and some restrictions. :D

I was building something along these lines 2 years ago, now we have java coming I might look into porting and seeing how it looks in arma3.

check out this

, in it I move my pieces and one AI is also moving, I move to the nearest AI base and it loads DAC for the 3d fighting.

(I kill off the OPF with a kill script to get through the battle quick) then claim the hex and its wealth.....oil, cash and iron

benefit is you can have unlimited units, fight one hex at a time and have your units come in to the battle in waves.

I had big plans...maybe to big.

Edited by Squ33z3