Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

Arma2 beta builds 1.05.6xxxx

As someone who came to Arma2 around the time of the release of the 1.05 patch, would it be worth re-installing and going back to 1.04 if you exclusively play single-player? I really, really hate how my soldiers won't follow any of my orders once enemy are sighted (unless I repeatedly order them to disengage, which works inconsistently at best) and feel it's almost a SP game-breaker at this stage. I'm amazed it's been months and hasn't been fixed now in a beta, so I'm trying to find some way to reduce the frustration factor.

No, I wouldn't roll back to the stone age if I were you. I heard a great tip, though. If you put your men in a compact column formation, they will keep in lockstep and not stop to fight. Haven't tested it yet, but with this method you could choose when they shoot and when they move. They won't take cover as well, but they will be behind you, after all.

the compact formation they still engage when encounter the opfor but be carefull sometimes u are in line of fire...

dont think i need to draw a picture wat happens....

Compact column formation works well for moving a squad about under fire, but it is an incredibly cryptic way of doing a combat manoeuvre. Other formations don’t seem to have this behaviour. I tried to move a squad in high command using this formation, but they did not respond to the move order in good time.

The high command menu has (with Set Waypoint on it) has commands such as Group, Move and Group Fire Mode, but these are always greyed. Is there any way to use these commands, or are they decoration?

This really sucks, but I know they will fix it soon. Just use group link or Ace til they fix it. :)

On a related note concerning driving ai, I have to say I am extremely pleased with the wheeled vehicle driving, as of late. This seems to work very well, gj bis!

Although I also have to say, that this driving is in stark contrast to the tracked vehicle driving, which is abysmal in comparison.

Can we expect a patch of similar quality for the tracked vehicle driving (especially the zick-zack turret rotation thing) in the near future?

Cheers,

Crusader

Do I understand it correctly?

The most critic of the actual behaviour is due to the fact that they act more real than ever before e.g. wait for wounded soldiers and move slowly when attacked?

The most critic of the actual behaviour is due to the fact that they act more real than ever before e.g. wait for wounded soldiers and move slowly when attacked?

The critic is about AI responding very poorly to any orders given when in danger/combat mode, at times you don't feel your leading anyone but rather waiting on them.

No, they crawl around in slow circles in the open regardless of what commands they are given, whether there are wounded, whether there are no enemies or an entire platoon of speeding tanks, constantly screaming GO IM COVERING!!!11

shure... try to retreat while being attacked.

and see how your team stays right where they are.

i must say sometimes they do move realistic....

in this video they show how u do a boundingoverwatch while retreating efficiently,

scroll to 8.20 minutes in the link below and watch the pro's do this the right way....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-_I4cgd3J8&feature=related

part two...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHenYpJresY&feature=related

I think the overall idea of their self-preservation induced auto danger was a good one...the problem lie in the execution and inability to disengage when the time comes.

If 2 friendly squads are attacking from the front and I want to pull my squad to a side flanking position, often this fails as my guys immediately go into danger mode (the non moving variety) upon hearing the first shot rendering my plan useless.

hmmm, it's been a long time now since latest beta came out. maybe the devs are VERY intense watching and reading the community-posts and tickets @dev-heaven, assimilating as much as they can (prio on announced OA ?) and will surprise all of us with the best A2 patch ever ...

anyway: next patch will be finished when it's finished ;)

we can be glad, folks, having BIS as devs continuing their work and staying in such close contact to their community, that's not usual these days. ArmA2 is kind of "commercial open source", even if it sounds contradictional.

I've played OFP, left Arma1 in the store (didn't like the demo), but Arma2 brings back that immersive feeling again ... and that's good enough, even if patches take some time ... we know, they are working it out.

im still a bit worried they developing not so important features for OA.

i just hope to see major AI Changes/Fixes and looking forward to that "whole new audio system"! [5.1!!!???]:)

Hi all I still have one problem why have they not fixed the copy my stance I know they will lay down if I do but they still wont crouch?.

With the lack of new betas, I can only hope there's a BIG patch coming soon. :cool:

Yep, I cant wait the next patches. I check thread this everyday. :)

Edited by SaOk

damn , dear devs, plz do a beta patch..i get confused, i can't play coop's anymore..when i read in the description "all playable slots (if not human player=ai) have to reach extraction zone" i don't start the mission..because "go i cover"...this game is so god damn awesome, why don't you simply make it playable with ai again ? is it really that hard? i know many guys complained, me also..you did good work and i hope you also do good work on oa, but it's still a while 'till oa, so plz plz plz, re-do that auto-combat mode..i clean up your kitchen or your office or whatever, but plz do that..it pisses me off all the time, and i don't wanna play other bunny-hop-spraying-hihixD-kiddie-shooters without any sense then spraying around with overpowered guns (bfbc2 lol) ...c'mon mes amis...

P.S. : Do it tomorrow

cheers

:eek: I don't even know where to begin.

No I don't want BIS to stop development on OA to release a beta patch. The game is fine as it is currently.

The problem you have sounds like it is mission based and nothing to to with the engine.

Save your time - DON'T check this thread as I SERIOUSLY doubt they will be doing any more betas for a good while.

:eek: I don't even know where to begin.

No I don't want BIS to stop development on OA to release a beta patch. The game is fine as it is currently.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I have a couple of pretty glaring issues (not including the AI bug that was introduced in 1.05 that everyone keeps talking about):

-Game crashes over time with Video Memory set to Default

-Random crashes regardless of settings due to apparent memory leak

-Would be nice if game addressed more than 2 GB RAM, would probably help/fix the memory leak crashing issues, too.

-Game crashes over time with Video Memory set to Default

-Random crashes regardless of settings due to apparent memory leak

Yes! srsly.

I hate those so much. :mad: