Sign in to follow this  
Barely-injured

the T-50 PAK FA makes its maiden flight

Interesting nobody mentioned this....:rolleyes:

In what a lot of people thought was the most anticipated event for flight enthusiasts since the mid 90's, the Sukhoi T-50 PAK FA yesterday (January 29th 2010) made it first successful flight, and essentially was unveiled to the world. And the bird is a looker:

t_50_pak_fa.jpg

a6b98c2c-1753-4836-9cda-490a9a0e2939.Large.jpg

The new plane is supposed to be -for the most part- stealthy and incorporate new avionics suite, supercruise and 3D thrust vectoring.

Obviously what was flown was an early prototype so we can reasonably expect that the final production plane will look slightly different. I believe the new proposed phased array radar is still in the works so there was no radar installed at this point and the engines were obviously lifted from the Su-27 family for now.

the plane is reputed to have a large internal weapons bay capacity, with two large internal bays that are said to carry "at least" two missiles each, located vertically in the center of the airplane. In addition to two smaller weapon bays near each wing that carry short range AAMs.

In terms of stealth I heard that Russian designers have always said that they did not want to go for full on stealth like the F-22 and it shows. While the forward section shows obvious stealth features except for a few gaps and that optical seeker "again from the su-27 family" next to the canopy that might heart its RCS a bit. The aft section of the aircraft looks especially disappointing for stealth performance. And while it remains to be seen if the introduction of the new engine will come in different shape that might help things out a bit, chances are that the Russian's focus on supermaneuvrability and 3d trust vectoring will not help things in that department a lot.

what do you think.............

The only non stealthy aspect of the aft section in these screen grabs seems to be the outlets of the powerplants. Everything else seems to be off-oblique angles and curves of constantly changing radii.

Likely, the production version will not feature a pitot probe.

Its general layout reminds me of the Mig-31 from FireFox, although when examined side by side they look dissimilar. I think it's something about the delta wing, the out angled vertical stabilizers, and the length of the fuselage forward of the inlets. Also, the inlets look a bit firefox like, however, the engines are not so fat as those of either the fictional or real Mig-31

Edited by Max Power

it's a very nice looking aircraft. will be watching this thing develop

Waiting for the maiden airshow crash.

it's stealth you won't see, just the ball of fire :)

"Stealth" is a magic word for marketing and kids. ;)

Guess that the PAK FA will be a prestige plane like the F-22.

@Max Power the MiG31 is old but real and is called Foxhound and the design to PAK FA is different.

the real MIG 31 designed by Mikoyan bureau and based on the MiG 25.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5tBbO8_JIc&hl=de_DE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5tBbO8_JIc&hl=de_DE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

the Mig-31 version "Firefox" designed by US movie makers

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yySrcLlSmc&hl=de_DE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yySrcLlSmc&hl=de_DE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

and the real PAK FA (T50) designed by Sukhoi/HAL.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S67zfmEqGxQ&hl=de_DE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S67zfmEqGxQ&hl=de_DE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

What a wonderful looking prototype. Good luck Sukhoi. U guys are awesome

it's nice to see new Sukhoi progress ...

When will we see this in ARMAII, Eble? ;)

Abs

"Stealth" is a magic word for marketing and kids. ;)

Guess that the PAK FA will be a prestige plane like the F-22.

@Max Power the MiG31 is old but real and is called Foxhound and the design to PAK FA is different.

the real MIG 31 designed by Mikoyan bureau and based on the MiG 25.

the Mig-31 version "Firefox" designed by US movie makers

and the real PAK FA (T50) designed by Sukhoi/HAL.

Yeah, the point was that they both (real and imaginary Mig-31s) have oversized engines, whereas the T-50 prototype does not. To reiterate, T-50 reminds me vaguely of the Firefox, but it lacks the large diameter engines.

At any rate, I read a bit about it and wikipedia claims that those engines are not improved Saturn type engines, but an all new design. So, those are the engines that were designed for the aircraft and not placeholder Su-27 engines (according to wikipedia).

Wikipedia actually has some very nice shots of the aircraft (which is what brought me to the page).

here we go, may the wild hunt for proper info begins:

Some analysis

lol I had to google that firefox thing, I think i have seen the ending of that movie in my childhood at some point. Might check it out.

hmm interesting info Max Power if they are quoting Saturn press release that should be reliable...

Anyways Congratulations for Sukhoi and associated companies for their hard work.

Edited by Barely-injured
silly spelling

Looks like what would result if the SU-27 and F-22 got it on and had a child. Best of luck to Sukhoi. Definitely cool.

When will we see this in ARMAII, Eble? ;)

Abs

If I could get my hands on a model, I'd say what 2/3 weeks :)

looks like an interesting model who knows someone is probably making one as we speak.

Further to the comparison with Firefox, Wikipedia also claims that the engineers have stated that the aircraft will (or does) have an 'artificial intellect'. So, I guess the pilot doesn't have to think in Russian because the aircraft already does. :p

Great looking jet, certainly looks stealthy. The engine nozzle, on the other hand, looks a bit big to be one of the stealthy kind though. They seem casual,

something you'd find on a Su-27 and similar. Then again, it's a prototype.