Sign in to follow this  

Arma 2 on windows 7

I agree, Win 7 Ultimate for me, is a much nicer and more modern system than XP 32. As an operating system, I love it, and wish I could use it. But for me, on my hardware, it is very slow.

When I get a new pc with Quad Core and multiple GPU's, i will certainly try again!

I have W7 64 Ulti too. For me the slight drop in performance is more than made up for by the increases in stability in the game. Given how many units the OS has sold, I'm sure the first service patch will tidy it up a lot.

Sure W7 has it's quirks, MS Office refused to install nicely and Nvidia Control Panel BSODs if you accept the EULA, but I can fix all of that.

Installing an nice fast SSD helps too. :)

PS, Richie, did you get my other PM last week?

For the RAM limitation.Pro is better too.
Yes, that is right Pro has the limit of 192 GB, while Home Premium has it only 16 GB.

But it doesn't matter, even the 16GB is enough - at least for us, poor people :)

(there will be time when even i will have 192 GB RAM in my computer, but that time is somewhere very far in the future, and it is the time when Windows cease to exist and Linux will be used instead ;) so who cares about Win7 Ultimate)

do you guys disabling aero and all that fancy effects while playing right?

You think there is really need for that?

Personaly, i do not disable Aero (i wanted to at first, but since the "Classic" is not really the good old Classic, i figured it would be better to use the Aero themes which at least looks better than the new mutilated "classic").

But i don't think it would make any difference if you disable Aero (maybe only on some weak HW) - when you play a game, the Aero is just some "garbage" code somewhere in the memory, doing absolutely nothing.

So if you disable it, maybe you will get few KB more of available memory, but that will be all - but who knows, maybe the reality is not that ideal, maybe MS programmers messed up and did something horribly wrong, but i don't see any noticeable impact of using Aero.

wow thanks for posting was about to buy windows 7.. is Vista the same?

I don't know about the performance itself, but for anything else Vista is worse. Seven is what Vista should have been on the release.

:) All that fancy GUI stuff is disabled on mine 24/7, not just when I play games.

Yes, that is right Pro has the limit of 192 GB, while Home Premium has it only 16 GB.

But it doesn't matter, even the 16GB is enough - at least for us, poor people :)

(there will be time when even i will have 192 GB RAM in my computer, but that time is somewhere very far in the future, and it is the time when Windows cease to exist and Linux will be used instead ;) so who cares about Win7 Ultimate)

i7 X58 mother boards can use 24GB,granted thats 1500$ to 3000$,But 12GB is 400$~(64>32) can you say RAMDisk...

Hmm, I'm getting 5-10 fps more on average with Windows 7 compared to Vista, and 3-7 fps more when compared to a fresh install of XP.

Overall 7 has been the best system for me performance wise. (Not to mention the other ways it surpasses XP.) I would honestly never go back to XP. (Or OSX) I even enjoyed Vista more.

I'm on Windows 7 64 with Radeon 5970.it's awesome. Smooth gameplay. the only problem I have is, the 5970 is new and no good drivers still.

I'm on Windows 7 64 with Radeon 5970.it's awesome. Smooth gameplay. the only problem I have is, the 5970 is new and no good drivers still.

What makes you think the drivers aren't good enough?

(i am honestly interested, i am not trying to be sarcastic or start any flamewars)

What drivers are you using?

I also have the 5970, and my drivers versions are:

Driver Packaging Version: 8.69-091211a-093379E-Asus

Catalyst Version: 09.12

2D Driver Version: 8.01.01.994

Direct3D Version: 8.14.10.0723

OpenGL Version: 6.14.10.9252

Catalyst Control Center Version: 2009.1211.1547.28237

And now you have the choice of three 10.1 hotfixs, and the regular 10.1,also there is a 10.2rc2 out that most prefer for the 5970... so you have Five new drivers to try.

The reason I'm saying the drivers aren't good is because whenever I open 3D application, it hangs and sometimes crushes and this is due to bad drivers. ever since these GPUs came out people were having issues. Right now I'm using the the 10.1, the latest drivers. I'm looking forward to 10.2 and 10.3........ I hope it will solve the problems.