Sign in to follow this  
quincy

what does binarize mean

Binarize typically both optimizes the models ingame performance and encrypts some of the data in it.

Some features of a model, addon or map may not work correctly or at all until the addon is Binarized

Binarizing a visitor terrain map addon for example makes it much faster to load up.

Gnat;1557247']Binarize typically <snip> and encrypts some of the data in it.

No, it really doesnt.

I dont know where the idea that binarize "encrypts" anything came from, but there really is no encryption going on.

That there isnt a freely available tool that can read the ODOL format certainly doesnt mean its encrypted :)

LOL ... stop arguing DM

If data is unreadable with tools that are available I think it fair to say its "unreadable" or encrypted.

Point of view supported by BIS not providing a un-binarize program.

Once a reversing tool becomes available to the masses, then its fair to say its no longer "encrypted" ;)

Yeh, ok, its a fine line between a file being "unreadable" or "encrypted"

encrypted - Describing something that is in code

encrypt - To conceal information by means of a code or cipher

encoding: the activity of converting data or information into code

The transformation of plaintext into an apparently less readable form

i usualy pack my pbos without doing it

You should binarize your addons/.pbo's, especially when you release your final version. It's a matter of choice if you don't while you are developing the addon. But, I'd recommend that you ALWAYS binarize right from the start.

binarize.exe is the tool that verify's all the consituent parts of your addon and optimizes them for use by the gaming engine Real Virtuality. It essentially takes all the data that makes up your addon and manipulates it into more convient data structures for optimal use by the various subsystems that make up the engine. There's not much more to it than that.

The term encryption plays no part in the process.