Sign in to follow this  
Binkowski

US Soldier Template

ive had that problem in buldozer.

Bink

Fair play! If you have the same problem then I can live with it - seems to have cured itself now anyway.:confused:

Another question tho' - any idea why the normal map doesn't work when the unit is sitting in the cargo space of a vehicle?

Another question tho' - any idea why the normal map doesn't work when the unit is sitting in the cargo space of a vehicle?

i'm not really sure, i've never noticed. i'll look into it though.

edit: a quick question, since the default tex comes in 2048x1024.. if i re-size it to 4096x2048 will it still work?

a quick test.. oh look its not as bright... still awful though (my tex)

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9907/arma22010050616393597.png

not only did i paste my tex on top of the armor..

Edited by Fox '09

edit: a quick question, since the default tex comes in 2048x1024.. if i re-size it to 4096x2048 will it still work?

a quick test.. oh look its not as bright... still awful though (my tex)

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9907/arma22010050616393597.png

not only did i paste my tex on top of the armor..

you will have to re-do the UV maps. i usually make my guys with 2048x2048 textures. makes it so you can add the uniform, gear, and helmet usually into one texture and normal map. as opposed to having multiple textures for stuff which adds sections, which reduces performance in game. 4096x2048 could work, but i have never seen it done, your uv map would be rather...small. especially for the lower body. contact me by PM i can help you further.

Mr Bink

Thanks to you I am now underway with my first soldier addon.

I am using your template but have a visual problem in bulldozer in that I see stretching of the fingers on either one hand or the other in all res LODs.

The fingers stretch to the figure's waist.

Disabling the model config cures the problem. Any suggestions welcome.

how do I disable the model config?????

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

got it you go into the buldozer launch tap in O2 and select "disable model config"

Hey guys,

Well after going through these forums a lot I've been seeing many people posting asking questions about what lod's to change to get my Infantry working in A2, what they have to change in the config etc. etc. Well I had some free time this evening so I whipped this up. It's the basic soldier.p3d from the BI sample release for ArmA1, converted into ArmA2 specifications. I've changed the rvmat to the new "super-shader" rvmat, as well as added the _smdi map. The model.cfg and config.cpp are included and working in ArmA2. There is also a pbo included where you can test and see the unit in game. The model is unbinarized so anyone can edit it as they please. This should save you a lot of time because you won't have to change the Geometry, Memory, Fire Geometry, and hit point lods. And you won't have to change the NVG proxies, or the hands. Everything's ready for you to use in ArmA2! I hope this helps.

- Thanks to Norsu for posting his guide on how to get your infantry working in A2!

Download

Hi sorry my english is ........

I want to edit you p3d;),but It has many bugs~~

The view is on the Waist.the hands have the Triangles.And the body is Distorted:butbut:....

I think I have something wrong with p3d.But ,I use your solider_p3d Folder to make pbo ,the problem still.....

I'm waiting for your help ,thanks..

En...later I will give you a picture of this

I find some thing.my pbo(1.97M) is lager than yours(1.7M)

then ,I look them,my p3d is lager than yours,

maybe this is the problom

any pics ? i ve downloaded this plenty of times w/o issues

and binko you should update this w/ OA proxies

any pics ? i ve downloaded this plenty of times w/o issues

and binko you should update this w/ OA proxies

I can't understand' date='maybe my BinPbo has some problem.:mad:

---------- Post added at 05:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

Look~~~~~this is the bug,maybe .....

370eb52ca15d3bf678a0f5a20d650546.jpg

a5f40ed65ae8f5789b962f0ce7b94097.jpg

Why??I think my binpbo has problems

looks like a selection issue to me, have you modified this?

i will update this soldier_p3d with the new oa stuff, later.

looks like a selection issue to me, have you modified this?

i will update this soldier_p3d with the new oa stuff, later.

I had found the reason.It was the binpbo is too old:D

Hello,

I would like to thanks Mr. Bin (!) for this awesome tool/mlod. It is really helpful, and help me in making my addon and porting some Arma 1 stuff

This deserved a dancing banana : :yay:

(Sorry Guys, I finally felt into DBs... after eight years :D)

By th way, what an OA mlod needs more ?

What is the best tutorial for this?

Edited by scifer

I'd like to start by doing some things:

1. Use some BI character like a sniper to modify it's faction, vehicleClass name, name and loadout. But keep its model, materials, textures and etc.
  2. Put new voices (language).

Regarding #1. Is it possible to accomplish things like that by only modifying config.cpp? How?

Regarding #2. Do you know any tutorial?

1. Use some BI character like a sniper to modify it's faction, vehicleClass name, name and loadout. But keep its model, materials, textures and etc.

Regarding #1. Is it possible to accomplish things like that by only modifying config.cpp? How?

yes, all of those can be done by config without ever touching the model and such.

Yep, the stuff you want to do is all config based so there is not actually any need to touch the model. Below should be the areas you need to cover, I'm no expert on configs but hopefully all the info is correct. Be aware, this isn't a full config, just the bits you should need.

@All, feel free to correct anything I have written, it could well be wrong.

This first bit will create a faction class for you such as USMC or UK Armed Forces

class CfgFactionClasses

{

class MY_FACTION_NAME_HERE

{

displayName = "My Faction Display name";

priority = 8;

side = 1; ----- I assume this changes west/east/independant for the faction, never changed it tbh

};

};

This next bit will create a VehicleClass for you such as Infantry, Air, Tracked and so on

class CfgVehicleClasses

{

class MY_VEHICLECLASS_NAME_HERE

{

displayName = "My VehicleClass display name here";

};

};

The following section is the actual infantry unit itself like a Rifleman or Sniper, I've used a section from Bink's sample config for this:

class CfgVehicles {

class All {};

class AllVehicles : All {};

class Land : AllVehicles {};

class Man : Land {}; ------ This blue bit is for inheritence, so if you unit borrows characteristics from one already in game you will need this (or something similar)

class Soldier : Man {};

class Civilian : Man {};

class USMC_Soldier_Base : Soldier {};

class USMC_Soldier : USMC_Soldier_Base {};

class USMC_Soldier_Light : USMC_Soldier {};

class MY_SOLDIER_CLASSNAME : USMC_Soldier_Light { ---- This blue bit is what class YOUR unit inherits from, in this case, a USMC Soldier from ARMA 2

vehicleClass = "MY_VEHICLECLASS_NAME_HERE"; ---- This is the VehicleClass we defined above

displayName = "My Soldier Display Name";

weapons[] = {"M16A2", "ItemRadio"}; ----- This is where you can edit the weapons used by your unit

magazines[] = {"30Rnd_556x45_Stanag","30Rnd_556x45_Stanag"}; ---- This is where you add any ammo/grenade etc

respawnweapons[] = {normally SAME AS weapons, used for MP respawning afaik};

respawnmagazines[] = {normally SAME AS magazines, used for MP respawning afaik};

model = "\soldier_p3d\soldier"; ---- This is the path to the model your unit will use, if you are using a BIS model, you will need to find out the path name to it. Or if you inherit from the unit which model you want to use I think you could remove the model path from the config completely.

class Wounds {

tex[] = {};

mat[] = {"ca\characters\heads\male\defaulthead\data\hhl.rvmat", "ca\characters\heads\male\defaulthead\data\hhl_wounds.rvmat", "ca\characters\heads\male\defaulthead\data\hhl_wounds2.rvmat", "soldier_p3d\data\us_soldier_body.rvmat", "soldier_p3d\data\us_soldier_body_wound1.rvmat", "soldier_p3d\data\us_soldier_body_wound2.rvmat"};

}; ---- Not too sure what you'd need to do for the wounds (the purple bit above), probably best to look through the BIS character config to find the model your unit is using and copy/paste the class wounds from its config into yours.

};

Hi, I get this error message "Cannot load texture soldier_p3d\data\us_soldieracu.co.paa." when I try to look at this model in buldozer. I disabled the modelconfig.cfg so it's not that.

Also, Texview2 freezes when I try to browse to the file location so I have to drag and drop the textures files into the window.

Hi, I get this error message "Cannot load texture soldier_p3d\data\us_soldieracu.co.paa." when I try to look at this model in buldozer. I disabled the modelconfig.cfg so it's not that.

Also, Texview2 freezes when I try to browse to the file location so I have to drag and drop the textures files into the window.

You need to locate the textures files to your P:/ Drive.

About the freezing Texview, don't know I have the same bug when I try to browse for files.

I have done that already. it's not working.

edit: I tried the official BIS sample models and they work fine.

Also, is there any way to move vertices around without using that cumbersome decimal system?

Edited by johncage

Thank you for making and releasing this Binkowski!

And also a big thanks to everyone else in this thread who's answering questions and helping out.

Kind Regards

Melvin

I have done that already. it's not working.

edit: I tried the official BIS sample models and they work fine.

Also, is there any way to move vertices around without using that cumbersome decimal system?

You can manually position points with the mouse, towards the top left of O2 you will see a number of buttons with X,Y,Z on them, these are for moving points in specific directions (or some of the buttons do two at once). V and O swap between selecting individual points and whole objects with the mouse, once you have the points selected you can just use the Right Mouse Button to drag the points in the direction you want.

G'Day All,

I got the same thing as johncage... the texture .paa does not load in Buldozer but it is in the P: drive and I can view it in TexView. the pho works in the Game editor...

help! :eek:

BTW Thanks Bink for doing the hard work...this Arma modelling stuff is a mysterious art and without the likes of Yourself, Gnat, Lennard etc we could all die dumb ...

Edited by mcmatrix

I have altered your soldier. you have included with the download. But how do I actually view it in the game? I understand everything else but this part confused me, I just want to be able to see the soldier that I changed in the game. I am new to making addons and such, so any help is appreciated guys. Thanks again.

-Whyte