Sign in to follow this  
therev709

SP - Operation Jackal's Hunt

3 hours is plus total time I played all the way to rescuing the pilot actually and yes, offroad is actually kinda slow too. Not to mention the fact that I actually spent about 30mins in the starting location just exploring everything you did. I even spent about 10 mins watching the specops being punished and walking up to every one of them for a close up look. :) It was so immersive! I really spent time exploring and enjoying every part of that mission! (thats why it took that long. :) )

One suggestion for performance I could make is to actually use the remove body script. There's a TON of dead bodies hanging around hehehe and also spawn the baddies in the town after the player gets close instead of having them right there from the start. :) But seriously, I like the immersion and realism created by having sooo many units and dead bodies around I don't really mind the performance hit...hehehehe

Lol before I got into mission making I normally just used to editor to put together little bases and such, so I'm glad to hear you like it.

I definately plan on putting in the remove dead body script, along with spawning enemies as you come up to them (to a degree, spawing everyone in that town might actually cause a perfomance hiccup doing it all at once . . . its gonna be tricky lol) as well as deleting old units that don't matter anymore (like the guys at Port Salu and the civies in the container yard).

I'm gonna let you all play around with it some more so let me know of any other issues! I got work and homework to punch through the rest of this week, plus I might be moving here in a week so we'll see how this goes. Anyways, expect the first update by this weekend or sometime next week at the latest!

Hmmmmm. This is weird, I now get that error when I try to play cold harvest mission and seal team six campaign. Thing is I was playing them perfectly yesterday.

SD

Hmmmmm. This is weird, I now get that error when I try to play cold harvest mission and seal team six campaign. Thing is I was playing them perfectly yesterday.

SD

Don'tchya love it when stuff like this happens?

Make sure you're loading the mod folders, either in the shortcut properties or your Arma2 Launcher (if you use one). I always double check my launcher to make sure its loading all of the mods I want to use, occasionally when I add new addons it will uncheck other ones.

USRanger, take your time. You already did soooo well in this release that its good enough to hold for quite a while. :) So far, after playing your 2 missions, I must say that you are an extremely artistic person that not only make games so that they are fun and they work but also make sure they look gorgeous. :) Thanks a lot for the good time, no gay...hehehe

Hi currently playing through this mission and enjoying it..thanks for your work!

but i just can't seem to heal my team mates

i just dont get any ace interaction menu at all..have tried binding the interaction menu in my userconfig\ace\ace_keys.hpp to servel other keys but still no joy!.....is it working for you?

and reading your earlier post i understand and can confirm the normal heal in the action menu doesn't do anything and i can't order team mate to heal via orders!...i.e. F6,6...ect

i thought the ace interaction menu was only for mp games to be used with other human players

and looking at the ace wiki it states that to interact with others you need their permission via 'their' action menu so seeing as this is a SP mission you can understand my confusion.

BiGGiBs

Edited by BiGGiBs

Hi currently playing through this mission and enjoying it..thanks for your work!

but i just can't seem to heal my team mates

i just dont get any ace interaction menu at all..have tried binding the interaction menu in my userconfig\ace\ace_keys.hpp to servel other keys but still no joy!.....is it working for you?

and reading your earlier post i understand and can confirm the normal heal in the action menu doesn't do anything and i can't order team mate to heal via orders!...i.e. F6,6...ect

i thought the ace interaction menu was only for mp games to be used with other human players

and looking at the ace wiki it states that to interact with others you need their permission via 'their' action menu so seeing as this is a SP mission you can understand my confusion.

BiGGiBs

The Ace healing system does work in SP, and no need for confirmation with an AI. I've had some cases, usually after reloading a save where the menu doesn't work, or works seldomly. This is a great system I enjoy using in my missions, but obviously, like you said, SP is not supported in Ace2. There is another Ace wounding system issue where if your teammate blacks out you can still technically switch to that teammate, but once you do you're stuck, and none of your keyboard keys will work in game, not even the escape key for the main menu so you can reload a previous save! I've had to ALT-F4 in this situation. I posted this bug in the Ace2 bug report site, but the issue was closed and I was told that Ace2 does not support SP and this issue will not be fixed. I understand Ace2 was designed for multiplayer, but I really think they should reconsider because of all of the people who do play SP and how Ace2 is already implemented in so many SP missions/campaigns.

Nevertheless I'm seriously considering removing the Ace2 wounding system entirely from my missions, due to the lack of SP support as well as the bugs, and looking at all of the possible alternatives.

Edited by TheRev709

Here is a list of changes I'm gonna work on for v1.1, let me know if you guys think anything else should be fixed/changed!

-improve performance via create unit, delete unit, and hide corpses scripts.

-remove the extra units addon requirement.

-include the Ace2 USP .45 (I took out the old USP because I didnt realize it was a .45 now, so the old 9mm magazine configs wouldnt work).

-change Spook's primary weapon to an Ace M4 so his HuntIR rounds will actually work.

Probable changes (let me know what you guys think):

-replacing the Ace2 wounding system with BIS first aid module (or another alternative).

-remove RH weapons addon requirements and simply just use the Ace2 weapons.

I originally included the RH weapons because most Tier One SOF guys use the HK416, and I also like the Kimber 1911 :) However, its really just a personal preference of mine, and the Ace2 weapons have usable Ace2 features, such as weapon lights, combat sights, and HuntIR use, that Robert Hammer's HK416s dont use. I was originally gonna wait for Ace2 to release their HK416s, but I figured why not do it now.

I like to use custom addons for my missions because:

a) BIS did a great job IMO with their campaign showcasing the regular units and maps, and there are plenty of user made missions that use their content; thus I like to use new stuff ;).

b) Addon developers put a lot of work in their product and I want to reward them by actually using them :)

However, I only use addons (or try to at least) that are truly being used by the player. I don't implement addons just for "set pieces." All of the addons will either be used by the player, be the player unit, or be the unit that the player kills scores of ;). Hence why I have such "large" addon requirements.

Nevertheless I'm seriously considering removing the Ace2 wounding system entirely from my missions, due to the lack of SP support as well as the bugs, and looking at all of the possible alternatives.

Seconded.

As for the RH 416, I would say keep it there. Your missions are the only ones that actually uses these weapons. Gaming is all about a variety of experiences and using ACE weapons all the time gets boring after a while. I mean, its so refreshing to actually drive around in a specop humvee in your mission too! All in all, using user made addons really create an unique experience in your mission, making it different from the other missions out there. Most of us already have these great high-profile mods anyways, why not use it. :)

As for those guys in port solus, maybe, make them board the stryker and the humvee on site and leave (of course leave and disappear somewhere) once the conversation is over so that it doesn't feel strange if the player come back to that site to see it empty. :)

Edited by jasonnoguchi

As for the RH 416, I would say keep it there. Your missions are the only ones that actually uses these weapons. Gaming is all about a variety of experiences and using ACE weapons all the time gets boring after a while. I mean, its so refreshing to actually drive around in a specop humvee in your mission too! All in all, using user made addons really create an unique experience in your mission, making it different from the other missions out there. Most of us already have these great high-profile mods anyways, why not use it. :)

good enough argument for me! (plus its less work lol). Although once the HK416 is released in Ace2 I'll still drop RH's models cause theres no need for two of the same gun ;)

Although I'll still prob drop his pistol remake pack since most of those guns are found in Ace2 anyway (minus the Kimber, but I've decided I can live without that).

As for those guys in port solus, maybe, make them board the stryker and the humvee on site and leave (of course leave and disappear somewhere) once the conversation is over so that it doesn't feel strange if the player come back to that site to see it empty. :)

I like your thinkin!! I was just gonna delete em once the player crossed over to the other side of the map (never figured anyone would travel back, *spoiler* (kinda) since theres no real reason to), but I like that idea, at least it explains things a little lol.

Glad you like my ideas. :) I am nothing but a non-stop bag of ideas (and suggestions hated by modders everywhere)...hehehehe

If you don't mind one more suggestion, you could start a new thread called "USRanger's Missions" or something and then feature all your missions in episodes like what Jelliz did. Obviously you are doing your missions as "episodes" and as a series.

Edited by jasonnoguchi

If you don't mind one more suggestion, you could start a new thread called "USRanger's Missions" or something and then feature all your missions in episodes like what Jelliz did. Obviously you are doing your missions as "episodes" and as a series.

I actually thought of that too lol. Once I release my next mission I'm just gonna combine em all into one. Thing is . . . who knows when that will be? Gonna be busy the next week or so, but I do promise more missions are on the way.

For now, I'm just trying to figure out how and where to go.

Mission wise I plan a small, mini campaign that will be very very very narrative based. It will be an origin story for the "Spook" character (pretty much a rip off of MW2's Ghost). I like the "Ghost" character because of his potential, and I just think Infinity Ward screwed up all that potential big time (thus far). While its obvious their company is soooo focused on multiplayer and game play because their story telling suffered immensely (IMHO), I figure I can take this character concept and go places with it (without copyright infringement of course ;)

After that I'll put together a real campaign, 8 to 10 or so missions. The story outline has been crafted out for a while . . . I'm just still trying to figure out the best approach to tackling it.

However . . . recently I've been interested in seeing what it takes to create an addon unit :D

Arma2 is still technically kinda young, and while theres soo many awesome addons available, and sooooooo many more kewl ones on the horizon, I'd like to take a stab at it and see what I can do. While theres a TON of "specops" and other SOF addons, I've always been an SOF fanboy so I'll probably stick to making some CAG or ST6 guys, but do the best I can to make them unique ;)

Its just a dream at this point considering I have no addon experience and my modeling knowledge is zilch. But my favorite hobby is to continue to learn new tech stuff! :D

Anyways I do plan on continuing to release quality content into this awesome community!

Perhaps your answer is at http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=94153 ? :) I wanted to have a unique model made for my Project Mayhem campaign too and have been looking around.

by the way, the guy fixing up the ammo crates and getting all frustrated (although its obvious the animation is a tire changing one hahaha) is actually a very nice touch! Most mission makers will never put things like that into a mission. Goes to show your focus on story telling and the creation of a living atmosphere.

UPDATE: Completed it at last. :) Nice outro! :) The final objective is a lot easier than the rescue pilot one though. We used up all the 5.56rds, all the javelin, all the AT-4, all the SMAW, all the TAC-50 that the humvee carried hehehehe

Edited by jasonnoguchi

well I am finally playing the mission, I had to use a different ARMA Launcher program for some reason, but at least its working now.

I have to say I am loving the mission so far, As Jason said, it's the little touches that make the difference like when I reported in the IAD on my way to interrogate one of the insurgents, I was surprised to see a team of engineers disarming the device on my way back. Great touch. I really enjoy these populated missions, it really conveys a sense that you are in a living, breathing world.

I am now on my way to get the pilot, so wish me luck, I am really loving this mission.

More please Ranger man :)

[edit] Oh and the voice acting is really top notch. It is really adding to the immersion and pulling me in.[/edit]

SD

Edited by Soupdragon
see post

Guys I haven't had a single problem yet with the interaction menu after loads. I have had this problem in the past though with one of my other missions but it hasn't happened in a while. The Heal that appears in the action menu never works for me as well. It's a shame the ACE2 WS may be removed, I really like it. As for the interaction menu being for MP play only, no that's not the case. Obviously some of the options were made with MP in mind, the interaction menu actually helps me tremendously in SP. The gear menu is a great way to deal with "weapons and ammo" issues the AI may have.

What exactly is the Heal in the action menu from? It's not from ACE2 is it? Is it part of norrins revive? I can't remember where I've seen this before but if it's not connected to the ACE2 WS it may be messing with the AI healing.

The HK416's, I'd leave them in as well. All though I will not use them since they do not work with ACE2 others probably do. I had them in one of my missions but I took them out cause I kept forgetting about the non-ACE2 support and would get far a way from base and need to use my HuntIR round and well, I was SOL. RH's stuff sure is nice though and I do love HK's.

Thanks again for this mission. It's a gem.

I'm really glad to hear you guys have enjoyed the mission. A lot went into it, and I'm definitely listening to this feed back.

@soupdragon - glad to hear you got it working man! Enjoy ;)

I'll definately be leaving the HK's in there for now, but I'm looking into other alternative medic revive scripts/modules just because of how buggy Ace2 has been for me and others. When it works, its great!!! But the problem is when it doesn't work . . . one time while I was testing this mission four out of my six guys blacked out and bled out as I was driving to the final Objective!

As for the final mission:

I realized that it was easier the last time I played through it, because once I took out the stinger teams the AH64 killed everyone else lol!! The stinger/ah64 objective was the thing I added last minute because I felt that just simply attacking the area was too cliche. Plus I meant to explain why those AH64's at base weren't supporting you and your mission. Thus adding that objective explained not only how Venom-1 was shot down but also when you got some Air Support. I also figured this would be much more climactic and epic . . . but as you said it made it easier (but then again I would always just snipe everyone with an xm109 and tac-50 lol)

I'm going to rework the final Objective/battle to not only make it more challenging, but worthy of being the climax ;)

Yeah, the final objective was easy for me because:

1. All the enemies are standing out in the open and my TAC-50 took almost all of them down. Seriously, I have never seen a real enemy camp with people just standing like target boards... could you have made it a little more "alive"?

2. The apache did the rest of the work after I cleared "all" the stingers... but... intel can't be that accurate, right? surely there is one more stinger lying around? ;)

Yeah, the final objective was easy for me because:

1. All the enemies are standing out in the open and my TAC-50 took almost all of them down. Seriously, I have never seen a real enemy camp with people just standing like target boards... could you have made it a little more "alive"?

2. The apache did the rest of the work after I cleared "all" the stingers... but... intel can't be that accurate, right? surely there is one more stinger lying around? ;)

With all these awesome ideas I can't wait to play your upcoming mission!!!

Please don't have too high an expectation for my first mission as it was relatively simple...hehehe... definitely nothing even close to the standard you have set! hell, I don't even have an intro! :)

Be glad you didn't punish yourself with trying to figure out the camera scripting . . . ugh, its always a nightmare!

Anyways, I couldn't help my self and I've pretty much knocked out everything I had planed for v1.1, just have to test it all now! Regrettably I have work tomorrow and sunday, so don't expect a release until Monday or Tuesday at the latest (possibly Sunday but like I said it depends).

Things I've changed:

-Improved performance

-Removed RH Pistol Pack

-Removed Ace 2 wounding system

-Minor tweaks

-Major teaks and changes to the final objective/battle

I'm still trying to figure out which addons I have that are a part of the "extra units" addon pack so I can remove it too . . . but more importantly, don't expect a quick and simple ending . . . as your air support won't last too long, and there will be plenty of baddies he won't be able to kill ;)

Basically if you've already played through v1.0, it'll be worth a second play through with v1.1!

Whats up with the blue hue in this mission is that some kind of movie effect? Also HuntIR isnt working for me.

Whats up with the blue hue in this mission is that some kind of movie effect? Also HuntIR isnt working for me.

I added a post processing effect, which is actually a green hue/filter for added atmosphere.

And you can't use the default HK416 with Hunt IR, but in the Humvee there are some Ace2 M4/M203s that you can use the Hunt IR with :)

In the soon to be released update I've swapped out Ghost's HK416 for an ACE M4 so he can use Hunt IR right off the bat.

I switched to an M4 but the HuntIR display is not showing anything after firing the round. Any idea whats up?

top notch mission, liked it very much. I ended up with 3 guys left to raid the market. Plenty of ammo and bandages. Medic system works great. (remember folks to use your right windows key-you have to examine first and then apply the required medical supplies).

One question? I cant seem to trigger the end of mission. I ened up in the area of the market, my last task, but nothing happens, so I think im at the end of the mission but not sure? is it suppose to end with a cut scene?

thanks again