Sign in to follow this  
TRexian

"Hardcore" and Apple's new tablet

It's an internet tablet, not a phone. Please don't make uninformed statements.

Fine, its a fat phone-looking thing with a 4" screen that you cant make calls from.

Either way its since been replaced with the N900 (but with a mere 3.5"). Which actually is a phone. An alternative is the HD2 with a 4.3" screen.

None of these qualify as pads, they'd need at least 6-8" screens.

Is it just me or is Star Trek is becomming a reality...

I was kinda wondering that to. Hope the StarTrekNG creative staff that dreamed up things like P.A.D.D can sue apple for using their ideas...seeing how apple likes to vaguely patent ideas then sue others, it's about time someone else did it to them.

I'd be happy if this thing was made by Dell or Gateway, apple is like the EA of computers ,expecting you to buy every little app/song..sometimes more than once/movie/ringtone/gimmick with no mod support.

I think without build-in card reader, UMTS and at least the possibility to connect to external devices using USB this thing is about as usefull as a brick - only the latter is more durable.

Sure you can play games on it, but it would have been really usefull as a mobile platform on which to work with photos in the field (having Lightroom or Aperture available on such a device would be just great!). With the possibility to upload stuff/connect to the net wherever you are (using UMTS) this thing would be just great. Add a gps to geotag images and navigate and this would be a great field tool for photographers.

I'd call the iPad a missed opportunity.

I think without build-in card reader, UMTS and at least the possibility to connect to external devices using USB this thing is about as usefull as a brick - only the latter is more durable.

Sure you can play games on it, but it would have been really usefull as a mobile platform on which to work with photos in the field (having Lightroom or Aperture available on such a device would be just great!). With the possibility to upload stuff/connect to the net wherever you are (using UMTS) this thing would be just great. Add a gps to geotag images and navigate and this would be a great field tool for photographers.

I'd call the iPad a missed opportunity.

It uses 3G for connecting where there's no WiFi (if you choose to get the 3G model). It has GPS. You can connect camera's to it should you wish and I'd be quite surprised if 3rd party manufacturers don't start making other things that connect with it via the Dock.

There are a bunch of Apps for the iPhone that let you touch up photo's already, and 140,000+ of the iPhone Apps (ie: more or less ALL of them) work on it "out of the box". Let developers get their mitts on this and we'll start seeing some very interesting apps soon enough, just like with the iPhone.

It's not even availale for pre-order yet, so let's wait and see what happens no? I remember when the iPhone was announced, people were saying it's useless and nobody would buy it, even Steve Ballmer (but he's an idiot who likes to badmouth his competition like that anyway). Look where it is now. It's dominating the smart phone market and has eclipsed Windows Mobile in just around 3 years, and Windows Mobile has had a decade or so head start.

-----------------------------------

Oh and Apple patents lots of things for protection. They very rarely sue, it's most often the other way around. They use them in countersue cases. They got stung in the past by Microsoft when they released Windows, which looked a HELL of a lot like the Mac OS and functioned pretty damn similar too. They tried to sue but it didn't work because they couldn't own copyright on the concept and the contract with Microsoft allowed them to make "software with a similar looking and functioning menu system" because at the time they were making software for the Mac. They obviously didn't expect them to create their own OS from it and use the design of the Mac.

Since then Apple has filed for patents on pretty much anything they research and develop. A good result (for Apple) of this patent hoarding came when Microsoft (Who were under invetigation by the US Justice System for anti-competetive conduct at the time) once again used something Apple owned, but they owned the patent on it this time and they decided to make a deal rather than sue. If you want to know, Microsoft used code from QuickTime to create a competing media player codec and player. This failed, they couldn't compete, and instead started to bundle Flash Player with IE for the task of media playback in the browser. This is why Flash is as prevelent as IE is now for better or worse.

Apple made Microsoft a deal, many just see this as the "Boston '97 Deal" where Microsoft invested $150million in Apple shares (non-voting stock) and people claim they "bailed Apple out", which is rediculous if you look at some of their investments around the time. Just a year or so before they bought NeXT Step, Steve Jobs' company, for $400million in cash. Apple weren't in financial crap, but their reputation and product lines were and it couldn't last for much longer. Microsoft ended up having to pay Apple $2billion in damages for their copyright and patent infringements. Apple also got Mac Office out of it, with the same number of major releases as Windows got.

OK somewhat off-topic rant done! It just gets my goat when people make sweeping statements without knowing anything about the background to whatever it is.

As an extra side note: Apple make a miniscule (almost negligable) profit from iTunes Music/App Stores. They just about break even. The majority of the money they do make is put directly back into maintaining the system. It's not cheap running thousands of servers with hundreds even thousands of terrabytes worth of data on them. It's the rights holders (for music/movies) and develoeprs (App Store) who get the lions share.

Edited by Madus_Maximus
Typos

I read today that the Ipad can only use software appreciated by apple.

That's a no go for me.

Just like the iPhone. Or the 360 with Microsoft, or PS3 and PSP with SONY, or the Wii and DSi with Nintendo. What's your point? A controled environment works better on these kind of things, there has to be quality control. Look how well the Android market is doing. Wow! AWESOME!

Just like the iPhone. Or the 360 with Microsoft, or PS3 and PSP with SONY, or the Wii and DSi with Nintendo. What's your point? A controled environment works better on these kind of things, there has to be quality control. Look how well the Android market is doing. Wow! AWESOME!

Yeah, like my DVD-player and my microwave. :p

I want the freedom of implementing my own things especially my own or third party programs.

You call it "quality control" - I call it

- an assault on consumers freedom,

- censoring and

- sharp and aggressive marketing (incl. DRM) :mad:

- a kind of dictatorship.

Did you call the secret deletion of George Orwells Novells on the Amazon Kindle "Quality Control" too?

(People bought the Amazon Kindle incl. the said Novells. One day the switched their Amazon Kindle on and found it was secretly erased. Amazon .... after receiving a lot of public pressure assured never to do it again.)

I am not the type of guy to blame Apple for problems that might eventually be caused by third party implementations. But I would applaud if the third party software works shiny on the iPad/iPhone.

I cannot comment on Android, I never used it.

And sure, one can say, hey! you don't feel censored using your DVD-player for only watching DVDs ... ok, ok ... but I EXPECTED the iPad to be open to use it's full potential.

Now it's like buying something that could be a serious computer, but has artificially be castrated. A car that is only capable to ride on special motorways ... though it has all mechanics to drive on all roads ... :(

I am defintively a Nokia-n900-kinda-guy ...

And pls see the first sentence of my signature to understand my attitude ... ?:cool:

Edited by Herbal Influence