Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Why is this game not more popular?

You ran into some losers is all I can say.

:) I think you're right, though I use to play on that server a fair bit:S... I figure

these guys play together alot... maybe I should assume most ArmA servers

are like a bunch of 'clicky' guys in a pub and me going up trying to make

friends.... it isn't going to happen.

Its a sad day for me and ArmA... slowly fading away.

You get that with some groups... just pure idiots. Opinionated elitists. Be down to Earth with people and you get the best out of them... why inhibit creativity?

I dare any Arma player to finish a Call of Duty game on the hardest difficulty. It really is difficult, and no amount of tacticool maneuvering will help you. The first CoD is the only one that I've beat that way, the rest are much worse.

I've beat every modern CoD except BO and MW3 on veteran...

I dare any Arma player to finish a Call of Duty game on the hardest difficulty. It really is difficult, and no amount of tacticool maneuvering will help you. The first CoD is the only one that I've beat that way, the rest are much worse.

Its all fake difficulty in CoD. On the higher difficulties it just comes from one particularly annoying tactic or setting, like CoD 5 was grenade spam, MW2 was the fact that they could shoot you with unerring accuracy the second you stick your head up, I havent even bothered with BO and MW3 cause its just an exercise in futility. An exercise in point and click, and if you cant do it quick enough, you cant win. Simple as.

ill be honest here and say that the only good realism focused fps that was pvp was True Combat: Elite mod for the Wolfenstein engine. And that was primarily a cqb oriented game.

So I see a long road still before pvp taking off successfully in a mil-sim. I dont recall anyone bringing up how great ghost recon 1&2&3 mp was, or rainbow six mp.

if i'm not wrong the coder behind moved to be lead coder of Red Orchestra mod and then standalone game(s)

if i'm not wrong the coder behind moved to be lead coder of Red Orchestra mod and then standalone game(s)

that makes sense: the feel of RO is very similar to TC:E, some of my friends keep checking to see if the mod is still alive, had great times on it.

but now i found arma :D

That's good having a mod for the vanilla-but for similar to be in the vanilla would be best.

Grillob3

Crossposting is not permitted on these forums. Please post only once, and in the appropriate forum. Thank you,

+ 1 warning (0 points) for cross posting.

§9) Do not cross-post

Do not post duplicate threads in more than one forum simply to get an answer quicker or to draw more attention to your post.

§8) Post in the right forum

Please ensure you make new threads in the correct forum, if you're unsure of which forum to post in feel free to ask a moderator.

Edited by Max Power

As much as I love BIS, they are not very good at Public Relations/Promoting their games.

As in the case for ARMA 2, the only reason I even knew about Arma at all was because it showed up on the STEAM front page and it looked appealing to me. I totally bought it off a whim and it turned out for the awesome.

Most people don't buy games off a whim anymore with all the reviews and such. Even more so, ARMA is not marketed at all really in the United States and if it is COD and BF3 override it (understandbly as BIS is a smaller studio). Never have I personally of anyone I have played ARMA with from the US has seen an ad on TV or a flier/poster promoting ARMA in a gamestore/big box store.

On top of that they aren't distrubuted in a lot of places in the US so it's hard to find. Even though the game has a unique community and doesn't like the popularity of a COD/BF3 and what it brings, a lot of players in COD/BF3 would be really interested and enjoy this style of play. I know I was one of them having played BF2 so much and wanted something even more realistic and then when ARMA 2 was on steam it was all downhill from there...

As much as I love BIS, they are not very good at Public Relations/Promoting their games.

As in the case for ARMA 2, the only reason I even knew about Arma at all was because it showed up on the STEAM front page and it looked appealing to me. I totally bought it off a whim and it turned out for the awesome.

Most people don't buy games off a whim anymore with all the reviews and such. Even more so, ARMA is not marketed at all really in the United States and if it is COD and BF3 override it (understandbly as BIS is a smaller studio). Never have I personally of anyone I have played ARMA with from the US has seen an ad on TV or a flier/poster promoting ARMA in a gamestore/big box store.

On top of that they aren't distrubuted in a lot of places in the US so it's hard to find. Even though the game has a unique community and doesn't like the popularity of a COD/BF3 and what it brings, a lot of players in COD/BF3 would be really interested and enjoy this style of play. I know I was one of them having played BF2 so much and wanted something even more realistic and then when ARMA 2 was on steam it was all downhill from there...

+1

I never heard of Armed Assault... then one day (round 2007) I thought I'd

see if there was a second OFP in the works or released and found AA...

never saw it in stores, never any ad's on TV, in gaming mags or the net.....

Pretty piss weak.

And its still the same today... BI really have no idea how to sell their product.

I dont want to pay for commercial tv ad's. I dont want to play with kevin, peter or bill 14 years old. Best ad is word of mouth. We must promote ArmA2 :rolleyes:

I only found this game due to Dragon Rising looking pretty good, then looking at reviews that suggested that I should get Arma2 instead, so I had a look at the videos on youtube, and I was really impressed and so bought Arma 2 instead. In the UK I had a hard time finding Arma 2, but it was a lot easier to find OA and reinforcements. Even games with a small user base have been sold better in stores in the UK, although I suppose its because they have Paradox as their distributer.

So I see a long road still before pvp taking off successfully in a mil-sim. I dont recall anyone bringing up how great ghost recon 1&2&3 mp was, or rainbow six mp.

It largely did so in OFP: I think the pvp community was actually a lot more active than the coop one, because you could always find a decent pvp game to join but not so for coop.

Dan;2080750']I only found this game due to Dragon Rising looking pretty good' date=' then looking at reviews that suggested that I should get Arma2 instead, so I had a look at the videos on youtube, and I was really impressed and so bought Arma 2 instead. In the UK I had a hard time finding Arma 2, but it was a lot easier to find OA and reinforcements. Even games with a small user base have been sold better in stores in the UK, although I suppose its because they have Paradox as their distributer.[/quote']

Ohh the ripoff OFP dragon rising.

It is one of the worst cases of trying to steal an identity imo.Bohemia made OFP and codemasters tried to rip everyone off with the Dragon rising thing.

Thankfully Bohemia has realy built there game into something special. Now I realy think its time to get it out there more.That is why I realy want to push it to get listed on steam free along with the other games.That can realy make all the difference.

Its free so nobody can complain its not for them(to sim or whatever)and they just payed $60 or whatever.

If it could be listed on steam free I think ARMA2 sales will take off and be getting a real good base for arma3 :cool:

Yeah found this game through youtube as well.. played arma1 back in the day but my pc wasnt up for it and I gave up. grew a bit older and earned monay, bought a decent pc and arma2 was almost coming out.. so i waited for that.

ace2 all day erry day.

I dont recall anyone bringing up how great ghost recon 1&2&3 mp was, or rainbow six mp

was.....the key word.

Project Reality is excellent at the moment. The servers have been busier since 1.60 and the Xmas Holidays. They have designed a really excellent system.

Dont mention the unmentionable.

To the OP: because of the instant gratification people are used to and most entertainment are geared towards. Playing Arma takes practice and concentrations, skills that aren't overly popular with youngens these days?

To the OP: because of the instant gratification people are used to and most entertainment are geared towards. Playing Arma takes practice and concentrations, skills that aren't overly popular with youngens these days?

Mostly true what you say but there are exceptions, there was young kid in a server with us over the New Year who was an excellent player and was leading the side mission squad! He displayed an excellent sense of judgement and tactics but got into an argument with someone and I had to use the mute button for the 1st time ever.

It was a shame that some decided to cloud the New Year cheer because they don't like the younger age group in the game.

Mostly true what you say but there are exceptions, there was young kid in a server with us over the New Year who was an excellent player and was leading the side mission squad! He displayed an excellent sense of judgement and tactics but got into an argument with someone and I had to use the mute button for the 1st time ever.

It was a shame that some decided to cloud the New Year cheer because they don't like the younger age group in the game.

Stupid people come in all shapes,sizes young and old. :)

It's also lot to do with people outside of Arma not knowing that there are gameplay modes like Advance and Secure [AAS] which is very much like Battlefield and take less then an hour to learn.

Bohemia doesn't put any effort into promoting PvP modes available

it's always Coop and hardcore sim stuff.

Most people who wave off Arma are under the impression it's all driving 30 minutes to a battle, die, drive another 30 minutes. rinse and repeat.

Nah, most people who wave off Arma are under the impression that they'll have to actually learn how to set everything up before they can even start to learn how to play, which is an entire process in its own right.

User unfriendliness is the #1 enemy of this series. Yes we have awesome tools that do a good job, but for most even having to learn about the existence of such tools counts as extreme user unfriendliness. Not to mention those tools are still another thing on the list of things they need to learn and thus scare them off (because we all know most people in the world are scared off by needing to learn something!).