Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Why is this game not more popular?

It's because those marketing campaigns cost a lot of money BIS is investing elsewise since they don't have as much as those big brands. Still I think facebook and especially youtube could be used more wisely and efficient

But they'll spend 6hrs a day on Facebook and 4hrs watching TV every day, lol.

what is this the typical work day for the average american....

what is this the typical work day for the average american....

No, no... that's white collar work in America. The typical blue collar workday involves 8 hours on Facebook and 4 hours of TV. :D

No, no... that's white collar work in America. The typical blue collar workday involves 8 hours on Facebook and 4 hours of TV. :D

in all seriousness its the typical work day for the govt employee...govt employees are idiots the lot of them....over paid and underworked.....

Well let's see..

More people playing BF2 than ArmA 2 (Released 2005)

More people playing BF:BC2 than ArmA 2 (March 2010)

More people playing America's Army than ArmA 2 (2002 free)

More people playing Call of DutyX (X being any version starting in 2003)

More people playing Counterstrike 1.6 (2000)

More people playing Minecraft than ArmA 2 (2009)

More people playing just about everything BUT ArmA 2 (Wolfenstein Enemy Territory 2003 another example and it's free)

I would say the problem is people don't particularly like the game when a game that is 11 years old has more people playing it than ArmA 2 (Counterstrike).

checked via Gametracker.. draw your own conclusion

Edited by njmatrix

Thats not what the thread is asking? The thread already assumes one has determined that it is not popular, the question is why?

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

Also just to throw my opinion in to the ring again... This game will never be popular like other FPS titles. There just isn't any market for it to be that big, unless they turn it into a cookie cutter action franchise like CoD or now BF. Its just not in the cards for Arma otherwise.

Its not really a big deal either. They have plenty of customers that aren't in the civilian market. You have to remember that for the most part VBS2 sales and ongoing maintenance contracts (the real cash cow in the software industry) also contribute directly back into the same revenue pool that all the BI studios drink out of. I think they should focus more on the simulation aspects, or at least keep going in the same direction they have been, because serious simulation markets are only going to grow with shrinking defense budgets worldwide.

So for the most part BIS keep doing what you are doing, investing in new simulation technology for your engines (ToH is a good one) and let us get a piece of it as gamers every once and a while (and remember for the extra hardcore stuff you can buy VBS2, but TBH, I wouldn't recommended for casual play at least until they upgrade to something greater than the base Arma1 RV engines abilities, at least in terms of CPU support).

Thats not what the thread is asking? The thread already assumes one has determined that it is not popular, the question is why?

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

Also just to throw my opinion in to the ring again... This game will never be popular like other FPS titles. There just isn't any market for it to be that big, unless they turn it into a cookie cutter action franchise like CoD or now BF. Its just not in the cards for Arma otherwise.

Its not really a big deal either. They have plenty of customers that aren't in the civilian market. You have to remember that for the most part VBS2 sales and ongoing maintenance contracts (the real cash cow in the software industry) also contribute directly back into the same revenue pool that all the BI studios drink out of. I think they should focus more on the simulation aspects, or at least keep going in the same direction they have been, because serious simulation markets are only going to grow with shrinking defense budgets worldwide.

So for the most part BIS keep doing what you are doing, investing in new simulation technology for your engines (ToH is a good one) and let us get a piece of it as gamers every once and a while (and remember for the extra hardcore stuff you can buy VBS2, but TBH, I wouldn't recommended for casual play at least until they upgrade to something greater than the base Arma1 RV engines abilities, at least in terms of CPU support).

those aren't answers either those are excuses. The answer is what I said people like other games more than they like the ArmA series period. You say its too hardcore, its played by real soldiers, it isnt a cookie cutter series yadda yada yadda. Bottomline is almost everything else is played by more people. That would be like Ford saying that they didnt sell as many cars because theirs were too good or not like other cars or Ford drivers are superior drivers. makes about as much sense.

I would say the problem is people don't particularly like the game when a game that is 11 years old has more people playing it than ArmA 2 (Counterstrike).

1. all the games you posted there can run on my grandma PC.

2. all the games you posted have had a lot of invested advertising. Moreover they catter for the massed. There will always be more ppl playing your generic game rather than playing your generic simulator. That is also a fact that you can check yourself using the same means you used this far (say, how DCS games are doing (great games, both of them) comparing to XYZ).

3. the average gamer doesn't have the time, or the will to spend time and patience with game that requires him to put some effort into it, especially after a job, or school or what have you.

4. The medium you used to check/compare results is anything but reliable...

Overall you are right: there are less and less ppl wanting a game like ArmA. More and more focus on GFX and instant gratification instead of gameplay and using your own mind and skills to get from A to B. A second problem is time (which i can see for myself get scarcer and scarcer by the day). That's the world we live in, the gaming industry is not the only one affected by it.

Still, i don't see the point you are trying to make here...

I'm sorry to say, but when BIS will create games for the dumbed down masses, i'll cease to support them, just like i did with other studios, companies etc. I am pretty sure i'm not the only one.

Edited by PuFu

I dont think its that at all. You can call people idiots all day long doesnt the facts

i'll cease to support them, just like i did with other studios, companies etc. I am pretty sure i'm not the only one.

You're not, just wish the masses/sheeple would do so to... imagine the quality we'd get then :)

those aren't answers either those are excuses. The answer is what I said people like other games more than they like the ArmA series period. You say its too hardcore, its played by real soldiers, it isnt a cookie cutter series yadda yada yadda. Bottomline is almost everything else is played by more people. That would be like Ford saying that they didnt sell as many cars because theirs were too good or not like other cars or Ford drivers are superior drivers. makes about as much sense.

I find this argument rather hard to follow. Basically what you are saying is that quality is entirely based on hard sale numbers and usage statistics? So if Ferrari builds and sells (and builds) a couple of hundred up to a couple of thousand cars, whereas Ford sells millions upon millions, this is hard proof that Ford cars are millions of times better than Ferraris? (and that car manufacturer x that sells EVEN MORE cars than Ford is better still). I mean, sure - they're more affordable and accessible and cheaper and probably safer, but they're no Ferrari are they? Answer: they're not competing in the same goddamned market!

As others have pointed out, this is not an issue of concluding that yes, Arma II isn't popular, it's a question of WHY, which is an interesting discussion. The lack of mass-market appeal is definitely a factor, which you pointed out. Well done. I'm sure you enjoy reading nothing but New York Times bestsellers and watching whatever Hollywood movie had the largest opening night/biggest advertising budget as well, and nothing else. Since, obviously, things that aren't popular clearly cannot be any good.

Useless argument is useless, basically.

Regards,

Wolfrug

draw your own conclusion

The majority of people can't handle anything but popcorn shooters, music and movies?

News to me

(repeating myself but...)

There isn't a single simulation that is more popular than its arcadish counter part.

It's as simple as that.

People don't like simulation. Simmers do :)

I'm convinced the only way ArmA can become more popular is to make itself more appealing to the simmers crowd, not the arcadish FPS one !

Would you stop playing ArmA if it had an option to make the helicopter FM as realistic as DCS: Blackshark ? No, but the DCS players would certainly come and play with us.

Would you stop playing ArmA if it had an option to make the airplane FM as realistic as Falcon 4 ? No, but the Falcon 4 players would certainly come and play with us.

And so on.

What I think the ArmA series indeed trully lack is visibility in the gaming market.

There are many reasons for that (ads=$$$) but it's true that some potential arma players just don't play it because they've never heard of it !

Edited by Macadam Cow

People can say what they want about the figures playing Arma 2 vs other games, but if you want to see how popular it is, you just have to go on youtube.

Videos, be it Arma 1, or Arma 2, are getting quite literally millions of views. I believe Arma 2 is bigger than people believe.

(repeating myself but...)

There are many reasons for that (ads=$$$) but it's true that some potential arma players just don't play it because they've never heard of it !

That was my excuse. Here in NZ no game shop had it on display all those years ago.

I only found it by chance, in saying that I only stated playing 5-6 months ago, and kind of got sick of little issues, yet I learned to love it.

Perhaps marketing the heck out of ArmA 3 would make a difference. I've said in another threat my mates like BF because of the no thinking nedded, and the medals/rewards unlocks features.

I love ArmA and I also love my PvP... this is why I have been playing red

orchestra 2 for the last month or so.

Maturing CoD/BF players that are getting sick of the mindless fudge will be

looking for something with more substance... "ArmA looks great"... if they ever

see or hear about it, and if they do and all they see is coop they'll move on...

to games like red orchestra.

This is not 'the' reason (imo marketing is) but rather one of the factors ArmA is lacking...

Human vs Human is so much more than versing AI in every way (and what most migrating

players have enjoyed from nearly every other FPS they might be coming from) and ArmA

provides very very little of it.

I love ArmA and I also love my PvP... this is why I have been playing red

orchestra 2 for the last month or so.

Maturing CoD/BF players that are getting sick of the mindless fudge will be

looking for something with more substance... "ArmA looks great"... if they ever

see or hear about it, and if they do and all they see is coop they'll move on...

to games like red orchestra.

This is not 'the' reason (imo marketing is) but rather one of the factors ArmA is lacking...

Human vs Human is so much more than versing AI in every way (and what most migrating

players have enjoyed from nearly every other FPS they might be coming from) and ArmA

provides very very little of it.

ArmA handles the PVP aspect very well. It's the CQB aspect that "lacks" due to the fact that you are not a camera stuck to a gun.

Ever witnesed a full on assault by human players on an outpost/base defended by other human players? It's an awesome experience.

Arma 2, be it co-op, or pvp, for me, is the most immersive experience I have ever had in a shooting game. Even on my own against AI it can be epic.

But Co-op for me is where it really is at.

Co-op is far less of an ego shooter, that's why the others are popular, and Arma is not. You can feed that ego elsewhere.

Ever witnesed a full on assault by human players on an outpost/base defended by other human players? It's an awesome experience.

Yes... tis what I'm talking about............

It seems to me (in the eyes of the elitist community) thats its coop or nothing.

Why is not popular? Ok what I'm saying now, doesnt count for the real noobs but...

As an 2-3 year experienced arma2-player i got a shortcut running with Ace and JSRS (sound) mod .....

I cant connect ANY ANY ANY (i'm raging) f*cking server besides for example TG ... Thats just silly and awful. I can't do a mod-shortcut for every f*cking server.

THAT IS A REAL SUCKY...

So what the hell, i need a shortcur for

- MP without any mods

- MP with lingor

- MP with ace

- MP with ace and lingor

- MP with ace and jsrs

. MP with Acre but no ace

- MP but with ACRE and ACE

- MP with fallujah but no ace

- MP with fallujah but ACE

- mp with what helle wtf ....

SCREW THIS! fuuuuu (yes, im still raging)

Edited by dga

Yes... tis what I'm talking about............

It seems to me (in the eyes of the elitist community) thats its coop or nothing.

I'm not elitist at all, (not sure if you are refering to me or not).

I love both co-op and PvP. I know they both have their own good and bad points, and that everybody has their own tastes. I even play free for all deathmatch on Arma 2 with my firends for a laugh!

I am just saying that imo, Co-op feels like what Arma 2 was really meant for. I have never felt anything as awesome as me and 30-40 other team mates carryiong out a large mission in an organised, but fun, manner.

Even co-op with one friend is immensly fun.

Hell, even when i'm playing ego-tastic fps's like cod, the most fun thing for me is co-op zombies and things like spec-ops, where you can have fun as a team. Online I will only ever play those games with a friend just to mess around.

I guess it's just my own personal thing that I love co-op, I guess I don't like being alone haha.

Why is not popular? Ok what I'm saying now, doesnt count for the real noobs but...

As an 2-3 year experienced arma2-player i got a shortcut running with Ace and JSRS (sound) mod .....

I cant connect ANY ANY ANY (i'm raging) f*cking server besides for example TG ... Thats just silly and awful. I can't do a mod-shortcut for every f*cking server.

THAT IS A REAL SUCKY...

So what the hell, i need a shortcur for

- MP without any mods

- MP with lingor

- MP with ace

- MP with ace and lingor

- MP with ace and jsrs

. MP with Acre but no ace

- MP but with ACRE and ACE

- MP with fallujah but no ace

- MP with fallujah but ACE

- mp with what helle wtf ....

SCREW THIS! fuuuuu (yes, im still raging)

You're still using shortcuts??

http://www.six-updater.net/p/about.html

But there are many more launchers, and few other server browsers.

Even tells you if the Mods you are running are accepted on the server before you connect, and also supports auto-selecting required mods for servers, and a loooot more.

Edited by Sickboy