Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Why is this game not more popular?

SO I just ordered a second gaming computer at ~$4100 not including taxes and shipping.

Really ?

What currency, really US $ ??

I use a 2 year old PC which i build myselfe from 1200$ of hardware and ArmA runs fine like most other PC games (thanks to the consoles).

I found If you have the personality to play Arma it is the only game you are able to play cause everything else has lost its edge. And thats why Arma is not so popular in my opinion.

...oh man, now it already takes "personality" to play Arma ! :rolleyes:

If ArmA is really the only game you play then you miss some really great stuff my friend.

How can ArmA (a FPS) replace games like FSX, PES, Command Ops, Combat Mission or BG2 ?

I have a buddy who is a huge gaming nerd, the dude has a water-cooled $9000 tower with shit i didnt even know was out yet...

My deepest sympathy for your buddy... :o

Some people are too stupid to play this game, yes, but it's far from the only thing. Some people are too lazy to learn/play this game.

I would say that ArmA is pretty popular and can be learned very quick by most people.

There are other games which are far more complex, harder to learn (3x400 pages manuals) and much more niche.

But for some reason, in the forums of those games i dont find people telling my about how unpopulare their games is and how stupid and lazy the guys are who dont like it...

ArmA players are sooooo elitist ! :)

Edited by Wiggum

ArmA players are sooooo elitist !

My housemate literally yells, screams, curses and stomps when he gets killed in CoD. Meanwhile I'm in my room fighting off squads of OPFOR by myself in a much more challenging game and I don't yell and scream about it, despite the fact that what I am doing takes a hundred times as much skill to pull off.

Yes, ArmA2 is a game that turns you into a conceited, insufferable, elitist asshole because everything else just becomes child's play! :P

My housemate literally yells, screams, curses and stomps when he gets killed in CoD. Meanwhile I'm in my room fighting off squads of OPFOR by myself in a much more challenging game and I don't yell and scream about it, despite the fact that what I am doing takes a hundred times as much skill to pull off.

Ok, so your housemate sucks in CoD and you are great in ArmA...maybe your housemate should also try ArmA, maybe he is better in this FPS and will stop screaming...

What about that ?

I myselfe find CoD on high difficult level as hard as ArmA, i hate it...oh, and i scream and curse while loosing in PES but for some reason never while playing ArmA ! :yay:

Edited by Wiggum

I just had a great marketing vision for Arma... Or cheesy infomercial.

Do you suffer from COD/BF rage when you spawn die 20 times in one minute [video of someone smashing keyboard]

For one easy payment could be maneuvering your squad blah blah... [ video of calm calculating cyber warrior in camo nodding head knowingly at monitor]

I curse like a drunken sailor when I'm pawnd on COD, I go a whole hour without saying boo in arma, da missus likes neither, can't blame her :)

Ok, so your housemate sucks in CoD and you are great in ArmA...maybe your housemate should also try ArmA, maybe he is better in this FPS and will stop screaming...

What about that ?

I myselfe find CoD on high difficult level as hard as ArmA, i hate it...oh, and i scream and curse while loosing in PES but for some reason never while playing ArmA ! :yay:

He said ArmA is too hard for him and he can't be bothered to play it.

Guess it's because you can't clear bunkers with a scoped rifle in ArmA or shoot people with crossbows or kill them with Tomahawks.

yes mods do make the game a lot better, but why does a game need so many mods to make it tolerable :-p

I'll come back when arma3 is out, hopefully its a bit more entertaining out of the box, if not, well, no biggy :-)

see you in the funny pages

I myselfe find CoD on high difficult level as hard as ArmA, i hate it...

It can't ever be as difficult since when you die you restart from a position 10 meters away. And then there's a health regen.

When playing ArmA2 the old OFP way (veteran, 1 savegame) and dying it's a massive FFFUUUU-

But I enjoy it since no other game made me fear so much for my virtual life like when crawling into the enemy base to place satchels after avoiding so many patrols

I dare any Arma player to finish a Call of Duty game on the hardest difficulty. It really is difficult, and no amount of tacticool maneuvering will help you. The first CoD is the only one that I've beat that way, the rest are much worse.

I know why....most people are too stupid to play this game....they lack patience they lack the ability to learn, they lack intelligence, and common sense....now lets be clear that these are not efficiencies with the game but with people and do not warrant any game changes as making the game more accessible would do a disservice to all of us, who can adapt, learn and grow....

with that said we might as well close the thread....

This attitude is probably the #1 issue I've heard from people who stay away from Arma. Plus the wannabe Patton "Respect my authoritaaay!" dorks having a conniption in their mic because someone isn't standing by the exact blade of grass or rock they were told to.

I've always wanted a game like ArmA -- reasonably realistic ballistics (I shoot a lot IRL), mix of vehicles, planes, and helicopters that the user can fly given the knowledge, an inventory system, accurate weapons and equipment, and enormous world sizes. And zombies.

I remember playing Nazi Zombies and wishing for some sort of "overland adventure zombie game with customizable equipment and weapons" -- little did I know that this game had been out since 2005, and I only found it in late 2010.

This is the reason why I've started to really dislike CoD et al.

I dare any Arma player to finish a Call of Duty game on the hardest difficulty. It really is difficult, and no amount of tacticool maneuvering will help you. The first CoD is the only one that I've beat that way, the rest are much worse.

I played the first, its expansion, MW, WAW, BO, and MW2. Everything at the hardest difficulty. Use cover, use A LOT of grenades and you will beat it.

You will still die from time to time, but you will beat it.

The only difficulty comes from aimbots which stop missing on hardest.

But eventually it's possible to complete it using a mere brute force - try and try and try to reach the next checkpoint 50m away and so on.

That's all there's to CoD's "difficulty".

CoD provides unfair challenge, ArmA provides fair challenge - with it being all about planning and execution not putting your crosshair over respawning enemies as fast as you can

Edited by metalcraze

]overland adventure zombie game with customizable equipment and weapons

My thoughts exactly when playing COD zombies, but luckily I had the Quarantine mission for Armed Assault.

I finished MW1 and MW2 on hardest. The only thing that was difficult was that some parts required you to memorize where enemies come from and in what order, at least if you don't know how to cheese the AI (which I never bothered looking up on the web because I managed to do without). Only reason I actually went through to the end is because it just doesn't feel right to quit in the middle. But I just decided to not bother with any of the sequels. I also tried a bit of MW1 multiplayer but getting killed from behind less than 5 seconds after I spawn in a repetitive fashion just killed it for me. Besides, it feels like playing Unreal Tournament without the goodies that make Unreal Tournament fun.

Also, in COD I never had to really read a map or plan more than 10 seconds ahead (and even planning 10 seconds ahead is rarely needed, mostly in campaign, never in multiplayer).

Really ?

What currency, really US $ ??

I use a 2 year old PC which i build myselfe from 1200$ of hardware and ArmA runs fine like most other PC games (thanks to the consoles).

What kind of computer did you order for $4100 out of curiosity?

I built mine for $1000 using Newegg parts and I never get below 25FPS on any map in A2.

its a custom built one and Canadian currency I had to buy everything. tower, monitor, keyboard, mouse. plus shipping

Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 990X

ASUS Rampage III Black Edition Motherboard

Corsair 12GB DDR3 3x4

AMD Radeon HD 6970

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Full Tower Case

Corsair Power Supply

ASUS 27IN Widescreen LCD Monitor

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition (usually pirate it, but even with my unlocker I have run into problems so I decided I would just purchase it)

Corsair Force 3 Series 120GB SSD (turns out its back ordered so i might be getting it swapped with a OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SDD or Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 120GB SSD

LG CD/DVD

Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard

Logitech G500 Laser Mouse

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium FATAL1TY

Intel PRO/1000 Ethernet Adapter

with a warranty, and they build it and install all the updates and important stuff that my Mac does automatically without me having to set up or tell it to :P

alot of the parts have features i wont use but i figured i would get them now in case i find out i want to use them later like the crossfire for example. and in 3 months there will be some new thing and they will be obsolete haha...

Edited by C.tremblay

Also, in COD I never had to really read a map or plan more than 10 seconds ahead (and even planning 10 seconds ahead is rarely needed, mostly in campaign, never in multiplayer).

A CoD player will never have to use grid references (even the slightly dumbed down form in ArmA, still same concept) or compass points, and will never have to know how to read contour lines on a topographic map. Therefore, it is an inferior game.

I played ArmA for about a year before I went on a trip to Colorado. Bought a US Geological Survey map of the area we went to, and lo and behold I can make perfect sense of it when everyone else is hurriedly pulling up Google maps 3D on their iPhones.

ArmA makes the traditional tools of the military officer relevant. Map, compass, binoculars, watch, etc.

Edited by Colosseum

ArmA makes the traditional tools of the military officer relevant. Map, compass, binoculars, watch, etc.

This is essential for a good simulator...when you have to use real tools of the trade (even though its simulated) is always a plus..

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition (usually pirate it, but even with my unlocker I have run into problems so I decided I would just purchase it)

...i think thats what they call a EPIC FAIL !

FPDR

I'm lucky in that my university supplies students with every Microsoft program under the sun for free. You guys should see if your college does it or if they have an option for alumni to do it.

To name just a few: Windows XP Professional, 7 Professional (desktop runs this), Office, Visio, Project, Visual Studio, SQL Server, etc. All the latest editions too. They even offer Office for mac. Fantastic!

on the same note, most software developers are giving educational licenses at reduced prices (at +70% discount in some cases). Autodesk offers all their products for free for all students (you'll need register and provide a personal university mail and have a teacher vouch for you). Other than that is pretty easy process. ;)

So it not only M$ doing it ;)

Edited by PuFu

Well obviously if you want to charge students you need to give them a price they can cope with, or else you'll simply get 0$ from them. When software has its cost in development and not in unit price, selling more units is pretty much always profitable regardless of price, as long as you couldn't have sold it for more :)

In any case, yes, a 1000$ computer can run this game great today, but to run it great when it came out required more than 1000$ (though 1000$ could probably still run it on low-medium), and besides, 1000$ every 3 years is too expensive for more than just a few people. If you just play COD/BF you can live with spending 1000$ every 5 years if not more.

The fact I time my computer buys in relation to ArmA releases tells me that they're always a bit heavy on the hardware side.

Let me say that the editing community of ARMA is the best I have seen. People help all the time if you just ask. The main issue is the general open game community sucks balls! Most of the close community (clans) are a joke. People who just want to control other people because they can't In real life. There are a few good groups of players but to find them is really hard for most new players of this game.

Here are some things Bohemia can improve to help new players meet older players and players of the same mind set of play.

1. Better in game chat system with open Mic like most teamspeak systems. Players use to many systems.

2. In game friend list to see who is on and a why to PM them.

3. Way to PM a close room or host/admin.

4. Better anticheat system for a player host room.

5. A few good player vs player/coop missions right out of the box. So players can just login play and meet other players.

6. A better way to Id/track mod's. I would like to see a ingame system.

I have been down this road before on this fourm and on this thread. I know I will take some crap for this post but the truth hurts.

Let me say that the editing community of ARMA is the best I have seen. People help all the time if you just ask. The main issue is the general open game community sucks balls! Most of the close community (clans) are a joke. People who just want to control other people because they can't In real life. There are a few good groups of players but to find them is really hard for most new players of this game.

Here are some things Bohemia can improve to help new players meet older players and players of the same mind set of play.

1. Better in game chat system with open Mic like most teamspeak systems. Players use to many systems.

2. In game friend list to see who is on and a why to PM them.

3. Way to PM a close room or host/admin.

4. Better anticheat system for a player host room.

5. A few good player vs player/coop missions right out of the box. So players can just login play and meet other players.

6. A better way to Id/track mod's. I would like to see a ingame system.

I have been down this road before on this fourm and on this thread. I know I will take some crap for this post but the truth hurts.

Here we go again... LOL

The biggest reason, I think, is ZERO advertising. You ever see an ARMA commercial before? I haven't... but I see a lot of CoD commercials (which I laugh at now, lol)...

I had never even heard of ARMA until some friends of mine mentioned it to me. They were playing it online. I paid for the game through Steam, but as usual, it was broken... Steam and I have a long, hateful history. So I didn't even get to play the game. Then I bought the boxed version of Reinforcements in Walmart recently, and it's been love at first gun sight! :)

But the fact is that no one has ever even heard of ARMA. I'm introducing it to new friends who are astounded that such a sim has existed under their noses all this time, and they've been stuck playing CoD and other arcade crap. And there are other reasons too...

For one, the question is sort of like asking why Toyota is more popular than Ferrari despite Ferraris being vastly superior cars... so it is with CoD vs ARMA. ARMA also has a somewhat steep learning curve, especially playing online against seasoned vets. Most people I know are incredibly lazy when it comes to learning things; if it's not given to them on a silver platter with cheap explosion effects and lots of Chuck Norris, they simply "don't have time"... But they'll spend 6hrs a day on Facebook and 4hrs watching TV every day, lol.