Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Why is this game not more popular?

For me this is the game of the century and I have no doubts about it. Since 2002 when I first played a demo of OP flashpoint I got in love. Since this sim is top 1 and will stay there for many years to come.

When Arma came out I didnt have the computer to play it and still i bought it and had it on my shelf like a furniture :).

When I bought a computer able to play the game Arma 2 had been releasead so I didnt bother play Arma 1 . I installed the game but thats it , Arma 2 is king of all games.

Thank you BIS !

You can anwser that question with 4 words :

Simulation are not popular.

Period, no need to write book on this. It's the same with every other simulation.

Whatever the graphics, the physics, the handling,the jacket's color,...

simulation.are.just.not.po.pu.lar

Arma 2 is not just a simulation like flight simulator. I loved fs, and people couldn't understand why, cos it is good for a screensaver, but nothing else.

Well Arma 2 is a bit more than a simple simulation, because it's a war game. Yes it's a game, you got goals, and it's not easy to win, it's challenging. I play it as a game, and not as a simulation. And ofcourse, simulations can be popular too. Games like silent hunter series, il 2 sturmovik, truck sims can be popular if they are decently made.

However you are right if we say that simulations are not popular nowdays.

Anyways i don't know why's the bitching, this is an interesting topic, and i'm interested what others think about this.

I'm not bitching, there's just a few things that annoy me with this thread.

First the title itself, the word popular alone doesn't mean much, ArmA (being the only milsim infantry based game) is quite popular for simmers,

so IMHO the title should have been "why is this game not as popular as others FPS"

This leads to my second point, the thread has gone off topic, most of the last replies are just what people like in this game and not why they think it's less popular.

This thread should have been a poll, now we have 131 pages almost no one is willing to read. A poll would have offer a better visibility of people's opinion.

I don't think the question is worth debating. Golden age of simulation is long gone,

for me (and I might be wrong I'm only 24yo) it was 10/15 years ago, with, for example, the Jane's combat simulation series.

Back then computers didn't suffer any serious competion from the console market.

Games weren't as mainstream as they are now and they were somehow all niche game (of course there are exeptions, Doom or Duke Nukem can't be classified as niche games, lol)

Also people tend to think because ArmA is a FPS it would only need of change in this or that to make it popular. No, before being a FPS ArmA is a milsim.

There is a learning curve, you can't always simplify things without big concessions (see what happened to OFP DR)

But honestly this learning curve is laughable compare to others simulations, I don't know about FSX, but compare to the DCS series you'd say the ArmA learning curve is slim to none.

In the end I'm just fed up with the constant bitching and whining about how supposedly hard is this game to handle. As I already stated, I've started playing OFP at 13/14 yo.

Internet was nowhere near as developped and helpfull as it is now and I couldn't understand a damn word of english. But I've succeeded to play the game, install addons and create nice mission with the editor.

So when I see newcomers complaining about how much bugged the game is when they have no clue of its complexity or bitching about how hard it is to play this game I'm thinking those guys are just lazy.

They prefer to post a comment on a Youtube vid or create a topic here than spend 10 min to search by themself.

I agree the game accessibility could/should be improved, I'm more than ready to participe in a quickstart thread for newcomers,

but the devs have to be carefull with this, constantly level down the learning curve will just make people more and more lazy, it will not fix anything.

People are like that now, they want everthing done for them when they need it. If they have to involve themself more than 3 minutes it's already too much to ask.

I'm not saying I'm perfect, that I never ask stupid question or state stupid things but ArmA is far from being the hardest sim to play on the market.

The handling is just a bit different from 99.999% of others FPS but this doesn't mean it sucks it just means you have to adapt yourself.

And if people can't adapt themself to a f*cking game well I'm wondering what will happen when they'll face real life issues, a lot more complex, requiring a lot more adaptation.

My only suggestion to make this game more popular is to aim at other simmers, those who like Tank or flight sims, for example.

A cooperation between the devs, producing the most complete and advanced simulation ever seen before.

No need to lurke at the COD players, they don't like sim and they'll probably never do.

Offer what ArmA lacks in some area to attract different kind of sim lovers.

Don't level down the difficulty, on the contrary, make it even more realistic

Edited by Macadam Cow

IMO the reason arma isn't as popular as COD, BFx, etc is because nobody knows about the potential.

Even if someone new bought it, they wouldn't experience the true benefit until they played online coop with people who like to play the sim as a sim. If they did, and then realized the slew of mods and nearly endless possibilities of the mission editor (and they like military stuff) they would be hooked for life as most of us are.

If someone was able to show all these possiblities in a 60 second trailer/video, I honestly feel that all people who like military stuff would buy and play this game.

On the other hand I do notice this game is getting more recognition. I very much hope that BI continues to advance this series.

Well might as well post here, ok well obviously the fact im here means my views could be bias so the points writen here are a mixed my & my mates (who does not have ARMA2) views

Mate - Has a Shit PC

Mate - Too hard

Mate - Too buggy (Not real ones, just the "HOW THE F**K DID I DIE!!" bug)

My - He's a tard, and cant change his playstyle from COD

My - He's a tard and he has no imagination

My - He's a tard with little intelligence or will to learn

Why am i friends with him? Unknown.

A one shot one kill is a turn off for most arcade gamers. It is also a much sssssslower game than COD and does require real team play. Hence we lose 90% of potential players (12 and under)

However, this game is the only game that has more ex/active service members online than any other game.

Aside from the obvious reasons why a game like ARMA is not that popular, there is a bit more to it to be honest. The single player is, well, not great. The game is still buggy, performs relatively poorly and feels unpolished overall. The controls are clunky and there are numerous gameplay issues still present since OFP.

The multiplayer has the potential for an amazing online experience but is hugely let down by a few big problems. IMO there is a lack of high quality MP missions that ship with the game. Then there's lack of variety as nearly everyone seems to be playing domination or warfare maps, mostly with close to zero teamwork contrary to what you'd expect from a "military simulator". Last and most important, the netcode is just awful. Lagging and warping irrespective of server load and client connection quality has always been a major turn off for many people I have shown the game to. And really, there is excuse as to why even OFP is much smoother online.

Then there's lack of variety as nearly everyone seems to be playing domination or warfare maps, mostly with close to zero teamwork contrary to what you'd expect from a "military simulator".

Yes i think this is a big problem, but can be solved, or just made better by using the ingame communication system. I think it's perfect and i like using it, but in most gamemodes it is disabled by default, by putting every player in separate groups. In older versions of domination i tried to use it, and i've seen other players using it. The only alternative is using a mic with voip, or ts3, but i never liked that, call me weird but i just dont really enjoy talking to people i dont know. In battlefield games there were some hotkeys you could use to call backup or other things, and it worked very well i think.

i know that this system in arma 2 is not perfect, even annoying, when your groupleader is repeating "get back" constantly, so i can see why it is disabled. But it can be improved. Since this system lets you control ai as you like it is perfect for teamplay for those who don't use ts3, or voip.

I wish it was because I want Bohemia to have every reason to keep going with this like they have all these years.Operation Flashpoint and ARMA2/OA are the reasons I got a computer again for gaming.Bohemia has taken every good thing that makes this game great over the years and held onto it while improveing everything else they could.

I so wish they keep coming out with DLC that is good with objects and maps for the mission editor.I will gladly pay. It is the best game in existence!!!

This game and this game alone is worth buying a PC for. They may not be the riches developers or even close but they have created the best game of all time IMO.They have stayed true to the game and to there fans.I wish somehow it will pay off more and more for them as it has for my enjoyment of the game :) .

Now if I could just get my damn current system to run it right! gtx580 tomorrow :)

Its the COOP mission building that makes OFP/ARMA2 so special. It is unlimited if you are willing to dedicate to it.A pain in the A$$ sometimes to try and figure out how to do something but its worth it when in the end You and your buddies have a blast playing the missions together

Edited by cotabucky

Its the COOP mission building that makes OFP/ARMA2 so special. It is unlimited if you are willing to dedicate to it.A pain in the A$$ sometimes to try and figure out how to do something but its worth it when in the end You and your buddies have a blast playing the missions together

I wholeheartedly agree!!

It would help a lot if connecting to servers was a one-click-deal.

If you don't have the mods needed, you will download them from the server or from fastdownload server.

Those servers that do not run the latest official patch have to put BETA in the server name.

I don't mind the game being hard to learn and master but it just frustrates a lot when you have to hassle around with million mods and addons and correct patch versions to even be enable to connect to mp-game.

It would help a lot if connecting to servers was a one-click-deal.

If you don't have the mods needed, you will download them from the server or from fastdownload server.

Those servers that do not run the latest official patch have to put BETA in the server name.

I don't mind the game being hard to learn and master but it just frustrates a lot when you have to hassle around with million mods and addons and correct patch versions to even be enable to connect to mp-game.

In some ways making it a tiny bit harder to join servers is nice because it usually encourages people to look at the community who is hosting the server, at least in the case of "open" communities like TG and UO.

i laugh when PC gamers complain how many games are console ports and dont stress there system enough and are dumbed down for the masses yet here we have a game that is the complete opposite yet these pc gamers dont want to take time to invest and play this game.

serves them right. if pc gamers dont like console ports they should vote with their wallet and buy games like arma 2 but they dont. they continue to buy COD and crysis 2 and complain how its a console port.

Sorry, if you're not a PC gamer, what are you doing on a forum for a game that is PC only? :confused:

I'm pretty sure you're already very aware of your console alternative. ;)

However, your overall point is right. PC gamers are indeed some of the hardest people to please, but that's generally because they're much more diverse in outlook than your typical console gamer. There's those who want games optimized for last-gen hardware, those for current-gen hardware, and those for next- or next-next-next-gen hardware.

IMO PC gamers (nowadays) play PC games because of the general increase in control and options (mods) that PC gaming affords them. PC ports from console games might well be good games in themselves but have the same restrictions that make them suitable for consoles i.e. resolution-conscious menu & UI interfaces, no scope for modding etc.

The PC gamers that complain about console ports mainly complain about these areas, so given that they are generally happy with the gameplay itself they're probably still not the right market for BIS games.

But the reasons for these pc gamers whining about console ports yet still buy them dont realize a game like Arma 2 is exactly what their after i.e a game that pushes peoples pc's to its limits, larger learning curve, mod support etc etc.

pc gamers need to vote with their wallet.

But the reasons for these pc gamers whining about console ports yet still buy them dont realize a game like Arma 2 is exactly what their after i.e a game that pushes peoples pc's to its limits, larger learning curve, mod support etc etc.

pc gamers need to vote with their wallet.

Well, you just suggested that these PC gamers don't wish to invest the time or effort - so I guess for these gamers that ArmA2 is not the game they're after. I think it's far more likely that COD style gaming IS what most gamers are after, but wish for more flexibility and scope for enhancements.

However, I do agree with you that there are a number of people who wish for a game like ArmA2 who do not realise that ArmA2 exists. But they are not a majority.

The PC gamers that complain about console ports mainly complain about these areas, so given that they are generally happy with the gameplay itself they're probably still not the right market for BIS games.

My biggest gripe about console ports, apart from these things you (correctly) mentioned, is control mechanics. A lot of console ports still use control mechanics tailored for an XBox 360 pad. That was also one of the big issues with Dragon Rising (driving was impossible because even tapping a key resulted in a huge oversteer). Other games, like the later Splinter Cell titles and Rainbow Six Vegas series, had overloaded buttons that made their use "context-sensitive". Pressing space in RSLV could mean to stack up for a room breach or to open to door. More than once I accidentally opened a door because I was already too close.

PC's have a keyboard. I would like to make use of the keys. There's plenty of keys in easy reach of the left hand that stays on the keyboard, still some games insist on just using three or four of them.

My biggest gripe about console ports, apart from these things you (correctly) mentioned, is control mechanics. A lot of console ports still use control mechanics tailored for an XBox 360 pad. That was also one of the big issues with Dragon Rising (driving was impossible because even tapping a key resulted in a huge oversteer). Other games, like the later Splinter Cell titles and Rainbow Six Vegas series, had overloaded buttons that made their use "context-sensitive". Pressing space in RSLV could mean to stack up for a room breach or to open to door. More than once I accidentally opened a door because I was already too close.

PC's have a keyboard. I would like to make use of the keys. There's plenty of keys in easy reach of the left hand that stays on the keyboard, still some games insist on just using three or four of them.

That being said though, I use a 360 pad and mouse to play and between both of them I very rarely have to touch the keyboard either. Only for selecting units or message typing.

So the convenience is there also for those who wish to choose it.

I myself are one of those people who discovered this game late on and have been kicking myself ever since for not getting it sooner.

Well, you just suggested that these PC gamers don't wish to invest the time or effort - so I guess for these gamers that ArmA2 is not the game they're after. I think it's far more likely that COD style gaming IS what most gamers are after, but wish for more flexibility and scope for enhancements.

However, I do agree with you that there are a number of people who wish for a game like ArmA2 who do not realise that ArmA2 exists. But they are not a majority.

No what im saying is that pc gamers are stubborn and complain about games lik Arma 2 and games like COD.

with Arma 2, they complain taht its too complex and power hungry on ther pc's yet a day later they play COD and complain its dumbed down, too easy, doesnt make use of there SLI setups etc etc.

The thing that is interesting though. if BIS strike it lucky and release Arma 3 and becomes as big as battlefield series, i bet the likes of EA will then publish there next games and then in return turn them into a company like EPIC. i.e developing for the masses/consoles by dumbing down Arma 4 etc etc.

There is pros and cons for BIS becoming a big hit.

pro's is that more people play arma series and more people online to play with but the cons is that future releases could be dumbed down for the masses chasing the million dollers that consoles will give them and thust turning BIS into the new "Epic".

Point is, many companies chase the million dollers once they develope a huge success/reputation.

Most of these popular console games where at the same point where BIS is now, i.e making refreshing inovative games not dumbed down for the masses.

COD is a perfect example of this. got their reputation from us pc gamers who enjoyed cod 1 and 2, now look at them. same goes for epic. Unreal tournament games were a huge hit, now they dont even bother developing for pc gamers

if BIS strike it lucky and release Arma 3 and becomes as big as battlefield series

No, thanks. That implies simplifying the game to the extreme, i don't know about you, but i don't want that at all. I want that Arma remains as "Combat Simulator" as it is today. If Arma goes to the consoles (or console style game A.K.A. "DUuuuuuUUMB!") it will be its end. At least for me.

Edited by Vixente

No, thanks. That implies simplifying the game to the extreme, i don't know about you, but i don't want that at all. I want that Arma remains as "Combat Simulator" as it is today. If Arma goes to the consoles (or console style game A.K.A. "DUuuuuuUUMB!") it will be its end. At least for me.

That is my point. if BIS get world wide famous like other past companies like epic etc, i feel BIS would do exactly what 9/10 known developers do and just chase the dollers mate.

i too dont want that to happen but the fact is that any indie dev that becomes big, ends up chasing the dollers being greedy and forgetting where they came from.

Its ok to chase the doller but so long as you dont forget the customers who made you who you are today.

No what im saying is that pc gamers are stubborn and complain about games lik Arma 2 and games like COD.

with Arma 2, they complain taht its too complex and power hungry on ther pc's yet a day later they play COD and complain its dumbed down, too easy, doesnt make use of there SLI setups etc etc.

I haven't seen that activity, I've seen groups of people complain about ArmA2 complexity, and I've seen groups complain about CoD simplicity, but I haven't seen groups complain about both issues. I think grouping everyone under one "PC gamer" label and applying all actions as though they all do the same thing is misleading :) I believe they're different groups.

I was (correctly :)) informed of another main PC gamer/console gripe, the user input gripe. As a long time PC user I have to use a keyboard/mouse combo for all my FPS games, I cannot for the life of me get used to the gamepad method of playing FPS games. And believe me I've tried :)

Arma games need to be polished and then do more advertising and then get some great reviews.

This game has a huge replay value ... like no other game to date.