Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Why is this game not more popular?

LegendKiller: we are just trying to focalize the game problems to allow depelovers to create a better game.and the point of the discussion is "why is this game is not more popular?".

You know where to do this i hope? Its not in whiny threads on the forum. If your so much for giving BIS information on what could be so much better please do it in the correct place.

Read the rules carefully first though. Have fun and good luck.

There ya go, that's the filter system I'm talking about. If anyone comes up with good ideas in this thread, then someone can post those ideas in the suggestion forum without all the clutter.

You know where to do this i hope? Its not in whiny threads on the forum. If your so much for giving BIS information on what could be so much better please do it in the correct place.

Read the rules carefully first though. Have fun and good luck.

can't you feel a bit of embarassment?thread is "why this game..."and i'm telling you why for me of it's not.is a good place to speak about arma 2 problems.

chill out funboy plz.is not a whiny thread.but is turning on a war beetwen "why this game is not more pop." and funboyz.

i guess is clearly understandable who was the mayor fault :rolleyes:

since you can't show some of the arma2 problems without falling into the

marek spanel national guard.

another pointless post good job alex :rolleyes:

Edited by ***LeGeNDK1LLER***

Bullshit

Go back and read the first post.

This is about the "big picture" of "Why is this game not more popular"

Specific, detailed issues are for other threads.

This thread is about the higher level items that make or break this game (as with any game) for the Joe Average gaming consumer.

Quite frankly the guy standing in front of the ArmA2 game box in the game store probably knows / heard shit about what half of you are talking about.

And same for the others who bought the game and simply "gave up" on it.

Edited by [APS]Gnat

another pointless post good job alex

Whining is better than to report constructive ways on how BIS can fix things? Its better to bitch in a thread about how it could be better and still ignore the correct place BIS so kindly actually look at, and even do fix things thanks to our reports there? Hmm, ok. :j:

Wonder whos pointless.

There ya go, that's the filter system I'm talking about. If anyone comes up with good ideas in this thread, then someone can post those ideas in the suggestion forum without all the clutter.

ok i can understand your point and you really seem more rational comparated with other guys...

BUT,what should i have to post which it wasn't posted during this 8 years from ofp times to arma2?

should i have to post how much is lame and fake the FCS in arma 2 for tanks:TAB+diamond?i've also explained in another thread that to put a realistic FCS into arma2 will not be a problem of any sort...i've tryed the FCS addons for arma 1,i've played ST i can easily telling you it takes 5 min. to

familiarize with that sistem.

should i have to telling you how much is stupid the FCS for combat helis like cobra or apaches?TAB + left mouse click=kabooom you killed the target

if there are no obstacles between the line of fire and your target.wow is so amazing and nice this FCS because is completely removing any interesting on chopper fights..the only 2 funny things are:flying the chopper for the pleasure to fly,using your hidra.that all.

i can tell you there are mods called ACE2 and pr2 which has easily replaced this so fkin arcade FCS with more propers FCS...and hey these new FCS are not so difficults to use so why they are not implemented on arma 2 which is a simulative game.

let's talk about the javelin and the stinger/strela now.oh maybe not,hope you have understand what should i have to tell about these weapons.they have a lame ridicolous FCS too.

and...why they don't remove the fkin radar for vehicles which they don't have a radar.apache longbow has a radar but most of the version of the BH, the LB and the tanks has not.

i can even post these problems on the proper sections and it will not be the first time that someone expose these problems.cuz is from ofp times people is asking to remove these arcade features from this sim game.

but is happened,guys i have just 77 posts but i have spended a lot of times reading this forum( is like 3-4 years..),that people trying to expose these problems were called "trolls","arma2" haters and ecc.

basically everyone is not partecipating on this pagan idolatry concerning BIS titles is not wellcome... so at least on the "why this game is not more popular" thread can i expose my reasons?

since i'm not a bullshit dealer just tell me should i have to wast some hours

to find posts concerning FCS for tanks/choppers and javelins/stingers to link it here?

most of these suggestions were rejected with considerations like these"nah if they don't have already implemented these new FCS it's because they cant!"

or "nah i prefer the current FCS".....lol considerations.

or when someone has tryed to expose why the radar is so fkin ridicolous on a wannabe sim game people has said something like "nah i like the radar,maps are so huge and the radar helps me to find the enemies or i should look with my 120mm in every direction.."

basically these are the kind of arguments people has used to rejected all these suggestions.

oh i have another example:there are alot of people which they asked for removing the SPACE-BAR functions wich is a LEGAL cheatt if you know what i mean.because with that SPACE BAR you can even spot enemies which you were not able to see them. you want to see if on that bush at 1500m there is a sniper?well put your scope(it works even for tanks..) on that bush and press SPACE BAR,if there is an enemy on that bush now,with that key,you' ll know the distance and the class of that enemy( and it works also for vehicles).

oh another old problems flew on my mind:from ofp times to arma2 BIS was not able to find a good flares addons to put on his game.is that normal for you?even in bf2 vanilla which it was 1 of the most ridicolous games around the market the flares sistem for jet/helis was present in the game and it was decent...is that just a little forgetfulness considering this is a simulative game or not?

well i know:when OA will be released the flares sistem will be avaible.but to be honest they are a bit lazy if they needed 8 years to add it.

now seriusly can you understand how much these things are out of context on a simulative game(current FCS,radar,space bar option ecc.)?

you know what? i will post all these problems again(tons of people has exposed these problems during 8 years) in the suggestion section of this forum,i'm just curious to know in how many funboyz i will fall this time and how many people will agree with me.

---------- Post added at 04:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 AM ----------

Gnat;1614977']Bullshit

Go back and read the first post.

This is about the "big picture" of "Why is this game not more popular"

Specific' date=' detailed issues are for other threads.

This thread is about the higher level items that make or break this game (as with any game) for the Joe Average gaming consumer.[/quote']

nope i suggesting you to do the same go back to the first post and you'll see there is no specifications about "show us just the big items or the big picture"

which makes the game not more popular.

all what i'm doing is going more in details and explaining why is not more popular.as you can understand i'm pretty much in topic.

Gnat;1614977']

Quite frankly the guy standing in front of the ArmA2 game box in the game store probably knows / heard shit about what half of you are talking about.

And same for the others who bought the game and simply "gave up" on it.

you guys can continues to "gave up" with these things exposed and you'll wait 2020 before seen this game more popular.probably for you guys is not a big deal but for me it is.especially because this game is not more popular for the own fault of BIS not because is a sim and people still prefer arcade games(which is truth but is not the main reason for me).we could have some hundreds player more without all these BIS mistakes.but sorry this is just a personal idea and now im OT.

"fkin arcade FCS"

The point is to be able to hit the target, no? Works for me. Yes, could be better, and OA seems to be getting it better.

"fkin radar for vehicles"

I thought it simulated a cheap IR system, enabling you to lock, and identify your target. But, without the actual IR. Some vehicles would have been better without it though, and the target and revealing area should have been limited to the zoomed rectangle. Agree on the targeting though, but it seems like OA with its new pilot controlled UAV is going to make a difference.

"fkin ridicolous on a wannabe sim game"

Give one example of a better alternative supporting large coops. Never mind "better", just give me another one. This game simulates a broader aspect of things than you seem to appreciate. A lot of them smaller things that at least I enjoy a lot.

Sure it has its flaws and limitations. What game doesn't? ACE2 has brought the game to where I want it, roughly.

"they are a bit lazy if they needed 8 years to add it"

I wouldn't like to have missed out on all the other things that have improved, considering I myself is mostly infantryman. There are tons of other bugs and OFP leftover snags that I value greater than flares, which can be done on mission level if need be.

So, chill down, there is more to this game than FCS, at least for some ;)

LegendKiller: we could have some hundreds player more without all these BIS mistakes.

It never ends does it... Why do you need hundreds more? Cant you join a team and be happy as the rest of us? You know where to actually do suggestions and bug reports wich is also designed in the way that the more people voting/reporting = the more impact it has wich means it can be fixed/changed/added/removed by BIS. You ignore that fact though and keep moaning about how great it could have been. You have power but you ignore it for some reason.

So I dont see the point other than you like to complain a lot. And i dont mean to be rude, but its hard to keep a nice attitude when you spew out crap about this game and ignore the proper channel where you can actually help BIS (they are a smaller dev team if you forgot?). We are trying to do our best, and people with the attitude that they dont care and just want to whine in the forum when they could helped and given us more impact-power to change things is sad. And it makes me quite frustrated at times. Whining is easy, but helping BIS with serious reports/suggestions on how things could be better seems to be harder.

Ok thats it for me. I never got any infractions (that i know of?) or been banned because i usually try to stay civil, but now you know why i lost it a bit reading your comments. The energy to whine but not help. And yes i am a fanboy. Its a good thing you know. It just means you like something and you stand by it. And if you read above again it does not mean we fanboys are content and like everything in the product. We are also working to help BIS instead of pointless whining (well trying not to whine too much). So to me fanboy is a good thing, and what it mean to others? Seriously? I dont give a f**k. ;)

This game is beautiful to look at and is a very good sim as well. So why isn't more popular? As it is now, I only play weekends because not many people are online during the week.

Is it because...

- poor marketing.

- AI in many multi player games?

- Lack of dedicated servers for online PvP games?

What do you think they could do to improve the low population online?..

- Dedicate servers.

- Develop a massive population server.

- Increase squad membership by hooding squad stats on the Arma site?

- Make it for realistic by adding true ballistics?

What do you guys think?

LegendKiller, I do not see any mention of him thinking any bugs within the game being the problem here.

Yes, you are in the wrong thread for reporting bugs!

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

*the game (...) is the only credible simulative FPS on the market. i have no doubts about these consideration

Try Bad Company 2. I know it's maybe not so "simulative", but I doubt if we can talk about simulation or realism at all in any of these 2 games.

guys we are just trying to focalize the game problems to allow depelovers to create a better game.and the point of the discussion is "why is this game is not more popular?"

Exactly, and it's main problems are: bad performance, dumb AI, and poor sounds imho, esp. sounds of weapons (again, try to compare them to BC2, it's uncomparable).

Whining is better than to report constructive ways on how BIS can fix things?

So how do you imagine that "constructive ways"? Can you even distinguish whining from criticism? What would be a better way to help devs, than mention game problems? Do you expect us to instruct BI how to fix things? LOL!

Btw: most of you guys are just a kiddy arma fanboys that can only butter devs up, 0 constructive thoughts that'd make the next BI games better. I wish you have fun playing OA with all the same issues. :thumb:

Edited by funkee

Hey if BC2 is more your sort of game please by all means take your 'constructive thoughts' over there, nobody here will miss you. Personally I was bored to tears with it half way through the beta.

So how do you imagine that "constructive ways"? Can you even distinguish whining from criticism? What would be a better way to help devs, than mention game problems? Do you expect us to instruct BI how to fix things? LOL!

Constructive ways are to pinpoint the problem and present it with clear repro steps. Its all explained how to do it in my sig.

And i dont expect you to do anything since you dont like this game. Us who are try to help. If you think its amusing to take a dump on us for being involved with the game we like - be my guest. :rolleyes:

Btw: most of you guys are just a kiddy arma fanboys that can only butter devs up, 0 constructive thoughts that'd make the next BI games better. I wish you have fun playing OA with all the same issues. :rthumb:

I think it's time for you to quit the trolling thanks, we get it, you have issues with the game and like posting negative comments about the game, about us, over and over, well I think it's time to stop, if you have nothing constructive to add to discussions, don't post, it's that simple.

Try Bad Company 2. I know it's maybe not so "simulative", but I doubt if we can talk about simulation or realism at all in any of these 2 games.

Ok, this shit is something that is starting to annoy the hell out of me. When in the vast period of time between OFP's release and now, did BIS' games stop being realistic? I mean seriously. Back in OFP's time, and hell, ArmA's time, everyone around here, including myself, were in harmonious agreement that OFP and ArmA were some of the most realistic games around. Then Arma 2 comes along and... What the f*ck? Suddenly you don't think the game is realistic? It's more realistic than both of OFP and ArmA combined because, well, it is them combined, with more stuff! Seriously, stop with this bullshit about these games not being realistic.

Exactly, and it's main problems are: bad performance, dumb AI, and poor sounds imho, esp. of sounds of weapons (again, try to compare them to BC2, it's uncomparable).

Try to compare DICE's budget to BIS'. It's incomparable.

You've "mentioned" the game's problems over and over and over and over again to the point where you sound like a broken record, and then you went and added a sprinkle of hostility and troll to your criticism. What, you expected the issues to be fixed lickedysplit just because you "mentioned" them? Well, I guess not, because you seem to think that trolling on and on about them will get them fixed.

Btw: most of you guys are just a kiddy arma fanboys that can only butter devs up, 0 constructive thoughts that'd make the next BI games better. I wish you have fun playing OA with all the same issues. :rthumb:

The thousands-upon-thousands of constructive critiques made by us and the rest of the community have made BIS' games as great as they are today. Without the community's feedback, the game would not have improved as much as it has. You seem to think that what you're saying is constructive. It's not. It's not like you're the first person to mention the problem, and there are even people offering up suggestions as to how they think it could be fixed. That is constructive criticism, and you are simply trolling.

If this post you made means you're leaving then thank God and GTFO. Kthx.

Edited by Zipper5
Hm, wish it told me that there had been a new post made before I added this reply... D:

I think it's time for you to quit the trolling thanks, we get it, you have issues with the game and like posting negative comments about the game, about us, over and over, well I think it's time to stop, if you have nothing constructive to add to discussions, don't post, it's that simple.

No problem bro, I can understand you're king of the fanboys and your duty is to cut all negative comments. Keep up the good job! :thumb:

Constructive ways are to pinpoint the problem and present it with clear repro steps. Its all explained how to do it in my sig.

Ok so lets pinpoint and reproduce a poor Virtual Reality performance and 40 fps on GTX 480 / Radeon 5870: http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=16997&page=16. Isn't that what these forums are for? But this one will be easy, just run the game on any modern PC. :)

When in the vast period of time between OFP's release and now, did BIS' games stop being realistic? (...) What the f*ck? Suddenly you don't think the game is realistic?.

Sorry I don't and never didnt :) The game where you lock on target pressing 1 button, and then killing it with 1 cllick I cant call realistic. Want realism? Check out DCS: Blackshark, Falcon4 or similar, you will find a difference between FPS and SIM.

Edited by funkee

No problem bro, I can understand you're king of the fanboys and your duty is to cute all negative comments. Keep up the good job! :thumb:

Infraction +1 for trolling and ignoring a moderator's instruction, keep it up and you'll not be around much longer.

Sorry I don't. :) The game where you lock on target pressing 1 button, and then killing it with 1 cllick I cant call realistic. Want realism? Check out DCS: Blackshark, Falcon4 or similar, you will find a difference between FPS and SIM.

Neither of those games are infantry simulators. Arma 2 is an infantry simulator. Sure, it's not as hardcore as it's VBS counterpart, but it's still an infantry simulator. For me, I love BIS' style for their game releases. I've found, after trying the free JCOVE version of VBS2 that I don't like the hardcore realism, and much prefer OFP/ArmA/Arma 2's mix of realism and... "less realistic" features.

So ok, by your standards, Arma 2 might not be realistic. But you also seem to be a hardcore sim player so perhaps VBS would be the better choice for you. BIS' games are never going to be to the standards of their VBS counterparts, so you can stop holding out that they one day will be. There's a big reason for the price difference.

No problem bro, I can understand you're king of the fanboys and your duty is to cute all negative comments. Keep up the good job! :thumb:

Ok so lets pinpoint and reproduce a poor Virtual Reality performance and 40 fps on GTX 480 / Radeon 5870: http://alienbabeltech.com/main/?p=16997&page=16. Isn't that what these forums are for? But this one will be easy, just run the game on any modern PC. :)

Sorry I don't and never didnt :) The game where you lock on target pressing 1 button, and then killing it with 1 cllick I cant call realistic. Want realism? Check out DCS: Blackshark, Falcon4 or similar, you will find a difference between FPS and SIM.

We need more perf : yes, no doubt about that.

Bitching about your so called "I know why it has such bad performance : bad engine"? meaningless and useless

You don't know a f*** about the engine, why it has such issues, how difficult/possible it is to correct them. The only thing we know is that VR is currently the only one acheiving such scale, and any others didn't even try to (or... they tried and failed?) apart from a few flight sim which have a precision and density which is like... what? 100x lower than A2 terrain? And still suffer too from horrible performance (I will avoid talking about DCS:BS performance, just so we don't end up in a pissin contest between two engines, but to put it bluntly, DCS perf is as much horrible as A2 one).

What we have to do is ask endlessly for performance. Not for a so called "engine rebuild" we don't know squat about and which has probably nothing to do with a correct solution.

Btw, from the look of it, it looks like BI has got at least a little the message, as performance is one of the key point they talk about with OA, so it must have been one of their main concern

Last point : OFP/A2 realism never has been in button pushing exactitude. More in a global battlefield integration. Every button of DCS is done exactly like the real one, the DCS battlefield, OTOH, is empty and far from reality, if you ask me. Hopefully it'll get better with expansions to come.

Check out DCS: Blackshark, Falcon4 or similar
Im sorry, but your starting to sound like a child. So they have infantry, ground vehicles and bicycles(!) you can play with? Hm ok. Never saw that in DCS's, Lead Pursuit's or the community made titles of the flight simulators. I have them all and they are great sims. However they simulate one thing and one thing only. So to use them as argument to shoot a hole in ARMA im afraid your ammo are blanks. :rolleyes:

Want realism? Check out DCS: Blackshark, Falcon4 or similar, you will find a difference between FPS and SIM.

In DCS I can fly right through trees like they're not there. Also, the trees are invisible to AI viewline, making them entirely nonsensical. Now, I like DCS as a sim, but obviously there are areas it's not great in. Also, if I land, I cannot get out and survive until being rescued. The more I think about it, the less able DCS is than ArmA2, however it's most definitely a better helo sim, seeing as it sims one, single thing very well. But is it a better overall battlefield sim? I would say no. ArmA2 doesn't simulate any one thing as well as DCS simulates a KA-50, but it does simulate an environment that a KA-50 would find itself better than DCS.

Falcon4, DCS... So they have infantry, ground vehicles ... you can play with? Hm ok.

Sure, they have :)

Falcon4, DCS... Neither of those games are infantry simulators. Arma 2 is an infantry simulator.

You know well that ArmA is not only ifantry "simulator" with it's tens of vehs and aircraft.

Btw, from the look of it, it looks like BI has got at least a little the message, as performance is one of the key point they talk about with OA, so it must have been one of their main concern

I hope so. Now i end discuss with you guys since it's pointless and criticism is obviously not welcome here (I got punished reciving infraction for posting my honest opinion).

A propos DCS terrain and engine "as much horrible as ArmA2":

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1015/screenshot015l.jpg

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/104/kh25ml040.jpg

Compare with this:

http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=13838

Cheers!

Edited by funkee

because of the followings:

1) Performance issues, i played on a server which my ping was 31 and only 3 players at that time, when we flew the chopper, game continued to stutter, which made my job as a gunner very difficult.

2) BFBC2 release.

3) Servers don't use built in VON anymore but rather TS3. So you have to visit the server website, register, read their forum to find out TS3 server name/password then when you're on TS3 no one communicates with you because you have just joined in and no one knows you!!

4) Server mod setup, you have to download mods.

I hope so. Now i end discuss with you guys since it's pointless and criticism is obviously not welcome here (I got punished reciving infraction for posting my honest opinion).

Many people receive infractions for posting honest opinions :)

However, for your information, you received an infraction for trolling not posting an honest opinion. If you choose to ignore other honest attempts at conversation then I guess you're right to end discussion.

"fkin arcade FCS"

The point is to be able to hit the target, no? Works for me. Yes, could be better, and OA seems to be getting it better.

not at the moment and not for what we know,they changed the form of the radar:it was a rectangole now is a circle.not an interesting improvement as we(?)should be more interested on concrete changes and not on "cosmetic changes".

"fkin radar for vehicles"

I thought it simulated a cheap IR system, enabling you to lock, and identify your target. But, without the actual IR. Some vehicles would have been better without it though, and the target and revealing area should have been limited to the zoomed rectangle. Agree on the targeting though, but it seems like OA with its new pilot controlled UAV is going to make a difference.

i hope i really hope.because i'm very interested on vehicle warfares(not only but primarily).well to call that sistem cheap is very generous honestly.

that fake IR(and is not simulating an IR..)sistem is completely no sense.

it works in this way:if there is a free line(free from obstacles like hills,houses ecc...)between your tank and a vehicle on the ground(even choppers if they are on the ground),except for soldiers..,you will see a red rectangole on your radar,you press TAB and you have locked your target,at this point you get a

diamond o nyour target if you are aiming on it.is a sort of FCS but..the diamond you get is just an approximate indication because you can fail to hit the target if you don't have experience with the sabot ballistic.

my only complain is: why they don't add a simulative FCS since is not difficult at all to implement and to control?it could be a new nice option for the game.

"fkin ridicolous on a wannabe sim game"

Give one example of a better alternative supporting large coops. Never mind "better", just give me another one. This game simulates a broader aspect of things than you seem to appreciate. A lot of them smaller things that at least I enjoy a lot.

i can't give you another example cuz is not exist. i was just pissed off because i was thinking to all the problems which makes this game less popular of what it could be.and probably you don't know(surely i dont want to be rewared for that.)how many hundreds(probably i can reach 1 thousand and more..) of hours i've spended on

BIS games...im telling you that to specify thatm y critics are come from a BIS games frustrated lover.not from an hostile guy...

Sure it has its flaws and limitations. What game doesn't? ACE2 has brought the game to where I want it, roughly.

mmm plz dont try to semplify the BIS bugs/flaws and limitations.there are many bugs which are not excusables.and even if there are many bugs in other games this consideration cannot be an excuse.is like minimize the fact you have made a crime because yeah there are a lot of criminals on the world(just to give you an example..).i personally reject this kind of logic.

"they are a bit lazy if they needed 8 years to add it"

I wouldn't like to have missed out on all the other things that have improved, considering I myself is mostly infantryman. There are tons of other bugs and OFP leftover snags that I value greater than flares, which can be done on mission level if need be.

this is truth but if i remember how many bugs were fixed with ofp patches and they were reappeared with arma1/2 i start to be less indulgent with BIS...is like making a step forward and than you move back and you go forward another time...bah.

So, chill down, there is more to this game than FCS, at least for some ;)

i will try it but i'm a bit pissed off by the facious BIS national guard you know..and let me tell you 1 thing:is truth that "there is more than FCS.."

but FCS is something important for modern simulative FPS.i guess is time for something more than the TAB-left mouse click sistem.

It never ends does it... Why do you need hundreds more? Cant you join a team and be happy as the rest of us?è

you keep changing the point of discussion,before your reply i've said we could have hundreds players more without all these bugs..and you now you ask me why ican't be happy with that players we have?jees..you want an obvious response?ok take it,because is more preferable to have more server ,more people ecc...i'm sick because i can see a wast of potential on BIS games :(

So I dont see the point other than you like to complain a lot. And i dont mean to be rude, but its hard to keep a nice attitude when you spew out crap about this game and ignore the proper channel where you can actually help BIS (they are a smaller dev team if you forgot?). We are trying to do our best, and people with the attitude that they dont care and just want to whine in the forum when they could helped and given us more impact-power to change things is sad. And it makes me quite frustrated at times. Whining is easy, but helping BIS with serious reports/suggestions on how things could be better seems to be harder.

im not a fkin troll,i will post all the bugs/problems i've seen on BIS games(in the proper section) and i will post also my personal way to solve these problems.hope you guys will discuss and ponder my ideas without excessive criticism simply because probably i'm not the most popular guy here(since we have had a lot of conflicting opinions..).but to be honest i can't post something new since i've saw alot of post asking to remove the radar on vehicles,to remove the

space bar function(shame shame shame...),to add FCS on chopper and tanks ecc.